Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2021, 11:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

This is so disgusting, but my question is about the health ramifications of this activity.

The ones I've randomly come across (it's too revolting to watch more than a second or two) feature eaters that are normal weight. I get that they eat normally the rest of the time (so they say) but it has to be terrible and destructive to their health, right?

If I eat a big meal, I feel so uncomfortably full and my stomach shows it. But these people look "normal" after consuming pounds and pounds of food. Where does it go!!

What are the long-term health ramifications of this revolting activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 12:28 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is so disgusting, but my question is about the health ramifications of this activity.

The ones I've randomly come across (it's too revolting to watch more than a second or two) feature eaters that are normal weight. I get that they eat normally the rest of the time (so they say) but it has to be terrible and destructive to their health, right?

If I eat a big meal, I feel so uncomfortably full and my stomach shows it. But these people look "normal" after consuming pounds and pounds of food. Where does it go!!

I have no idea, but I agree that the practice is revolting …

Old 10-20-2021, 02:11 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

No one mentions how long all that food stays in their stomach. They could hurl it all down a drain shortly afterwards, not force their body to digest it. It might not cause them anything but short term regret.

How often they indulge in such stupid human tricks probably matters; once a year at a 4th of July picnic or drunken New Year's Eve bash or every Saturday night?

Old 10-22-2021, 05:28 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No one mentions how long all that food stays in their stomach. They could hurl it all down a drain shortly afterwards, not force their body to digest it. It might not cause them anything but short term regret.

How often they indulge in such stupid human tricks probably matters; once a year at a 4th of July picnic or drunken New Year's Eve bash or every Saturday night?

That's what I think they do, the old "finger down the throat" to get it up, otherwise, they'd feel like a huge piece of crap from ingesting way too much "food"....

I can't believe it's still a thing these days. Like who cares how much a person can shove in their mouth? Haven't we seen enough of people doing that antiquated "event"?

I can understand it being done a hundred years ago when life was the complete opposite of what it is now. It's like people step back in time, to do things like this to break up their hard lives.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:15 AM

867 posts, read 723,174 times
People have died because of these "competitions," including very recently:

US student dies after choking during hot dog eating competition

What a waste.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:25 AM

310 posts, read 323,617 times
I cannot believe these contests still exist. I cannot watch one without wanting to throw up. Why is this even a thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness