Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 11:58 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times

Advertisements

I've felt that way since my 20s, although obviously I'm closer to the top of the hill than you are, but still trends in the same direction. Best you can do is diet and exercise to maintain your body as well as possible. Might have a diet issue like too much sugar, or even something severe like celiac disease. Might need to do physical therapy exercises to restore muscles around vulnerable joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 12:08 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, OP, I am feeling it.

I think at "our age" (60s - and up) it is to be expected. There's only a certain amount you can "improve".

My bad joints have impacted all my enjoyment of life and placed severe restrictions on what I can do.

I often feel I'd rather "check out" than continue this downward spiral, but that's not an option.

Sure there are still surfers, marathon runners, skiers and tennis players, but I wonder what percentage that is. Still, it's really hard not to compare ourselves to those our age still doing that stuff.

Sometimes there are not any concrete answers to these afflictions. If it's in your genes, even one-meal-a-day (which I do) won't help much.

I was watching one of the "older stars" movies recommended on the Retirement forum last night, and got aggravated at the 60s - 70s characters jogging and running up and down stairs---without railings

I'm trying to improve my balance after my hip operation and it is no fun at all. We can only hope....
For us, we eat two small meals earlier in the day to give it time to digest before going to bed without getting heartburn.
For me, the weather has a lot to do with whether I can go out for walk. Too hot and I get totally drained after half a block. On a cool day I can go much further. Many days it is just pure determination to get my feet on the ground. We have lost so many friends to cancer and other diseases and it is hard to find new friends now that want to go for mild exercise. Find a buddy if you can, it really helps.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
A couple of puffs of a strong sativa once or twice a week has rejuvenated my mind and body. Of course I don't drive after smoking. Also I don't try walking for a few hours after smoking.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:49 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
A couple of puffs of a strong sativa once or twice a week has rejuvenated my mind and body. Of course I don't drive after smoking. Also I don't try walking for a few hours after smoking.
But other than not being able to walk your body feels great?

Old 11-28-2021, 01:21 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
My late MIL told us that hitting 70 was bad for her and when my husband hit it he agreed. More physical problems that took longer to repair.

I'm not yet to 70 but noticed that sugar has more negative effect on my body now than earlier years.
Fatigue I can usually fix by drinking more water.
I don't know how heavy smokers and drinkers handle old age because we don't do either and it's challenging to stay healthy and active.

Once a week we drink veggie juice and that is a real benefit. We eat veggies at every dinner and some come from our garden. I'd like to eat less red meat and that is my goal starting now. I've been dessert-less for a month except for T-giving so hoping the doctor's scale at my annual next week gives a little good news.

Getting old and staying healthy is hard (whiny but true).

Old 11-28-2021, 02:09 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
But other than not being able to walk your body feels great?
It's hard to explain but after the immediate stoned effects wear off in 2-3 hours I get a mental and physical boost that lasts several days. I feel more cheerful and less drained. I have leukemia and the fatigue can really wipe me out. I need an hour nap to get through the day. The strong sativa is the only thing that has helped energize me, other than steroids, but those were just temporary when I was getting chemo. The sativa is 28% THC so for me, two deep drags is just the right amount. Sometimes I may not smoke for a week and a half, but when I start really dragging, I say, OK it's time for my medicine.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-28-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-28-2021, 02:16 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
You might want to look into upgrading your diet from McDonald's to maybe Whole Foods. Just a suggestion.

Diet and proper hydration do make a difference in how you feel.
And since just walking to your car is tiring, maybe think about joining your wife walking around the wildlife refuge instead of sitting at Mc D's. Go for daily walks around your neighborhood. Take an easy exercise class for seniors at a pool, or something along those lines. We decline quickly, so either we can passively allow it to happen, or we can try to head it off at the pass. I know it isn't the least bit easy. Best regards.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:44 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
With your balance issues I would suggest a pair of trekking/hiking poles. I was reading reviews, and found many respondents were using them to help with balance, and were pleased with the results. I didn't care for the telescoping type, but they are good for traveling. Next time I will get solid poles. Two are better than one imo. And they help exercise the upper body as well. These may help restore your walking confidence, and fear of taking a tumble.

If walking for 15 minutes is too tiring, than try 10, or even 5, and SLOWLY build up when that becomes easier. Sometimes we have to try, and trick ourselves to even begin. Even walking around the house/apt with walking sticks would be great for you.

I completely get the crashing you mentioned as I have the same issue. You just have to find that level below where you crash, and not add more to your routine too quickly. Forget what you used to be able to do, or what someone else is able to do. This is a different beast to conquer. But getting out in the fresh air, and sunlight is good for your health. Never give up.

I'll be 74 in March, and hurt all over 24/7.

Last edited by mlulu23; 11-28-2021 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-28-2021, 03:27 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,022,421 times
I empathize with the OP and the other posters here who feel as though their body isn’t what it used to be. It is nice to hear that some folks swear by this food or that exercise or drug, but in my case, I have a genetic disorder that is not treatable, let alone curable, which causes pain and fatigue, along with other symptoms, on a daily basis.

When I was younger, I could get by, but now it’s a different story. I’m 68, and this year I began to need a nap every afternoon just to keep going. My DH and I moved to our current location when I was 60, but just yesterday I told him I’m so glad we moved when we did, because I honestly don’t think I could do it now.

I feel as though my body is like a music box that’s slowly winding down. It’s disappointing, because I’ve always loved being active, even though it has always caused me pain, but it’s just the luck of the draw.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:09 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
LOL. No walking?

I got high last year and went out to do some yard work with a wheelbarrow. Under the influence, I had the awareness that pushing a wheelbarrow will eventually not be possible as I age. Balancing a heavy load on one wheel, not a great activity for an old guy. Neither is chainsaw work for that matter.

But I'm doing OK for age 63, still able to run without pain. Gotta enjoy using our bodies while we can because the physical deterioration is inevitable. I just hope it continues to be gradual rather than abrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness