U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 08:49 AM

34 posts, read 287,417 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone is at least some better today. I've got a question. Has anyone ever heard of Tarsal tunnel syndrome? Maybe I do too much research, but from what I can tell, that seems to be my symptoms. Has anyone ever had this? thanks and I wish everyone a speedy recovery.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Yar

12 posts, read 115,562 times
Its now been a bit over 2 1/2 months after the break and surgery. I had my follow up appointment with my doctor today and after reviewing my xrays, he said everything is healing up very nicely. This was fantastic news. I just got denied unemployment and have to settle for $100/week for disability benefits so the good news was great. I took my first few steps without any crutches on the weekend so I asked my doctor about it. He said that I should walk as much as I possibly can....as long as it doesn begin to hurt. And too keep pushing myself. I have been walking around the house since with no crutches, still a huge limp but no aid. Which is very nice.
He recommended a stationary bike or going swimming to help get the range of motion and also prescribed PT(which I found out today is covered by Manitoba Health if I go to a hospital clinic and not a private one). Going to the doctor today and the news that he gave me was so encouraging to me. It really put me in a great mood all day.
I hope everyone else here gets good news soon too.
Oh and for those that were wondering about the swelling. My doctor said that its not uncommon for a severe injury like it(I broke my Tibia in 3 places and fibula in one place...also a compound fracture), for the leg to have swelling issues for even a year or two. That was a bit discouraging but it was a bad injury. With the swelling, the body is sending more blood to the injured area and with the blood, it carries oxygen which helps heal. And because with a fracture of this nature, there are torn blood vessels and muscle. But over all, a very encouraging day!!!
Best of luck to everyone!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 49,468 times
yar,

did you take your few steps with or without any kind of brace without crutches? I also took some steps today but only with a walking brace...just wondering thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gabpaul View Post
I have a broken tibia with 6 fractures and a broken fibula. I had open reduction internal fixation. I have a steel plate with 9 screws into the tibia bone. I fell down my stair case holding by 2 yr old daugher. She was fine. I am six wks post my surgery and have swelling in the ankle and tibia area. The tibia and fibula bones are very sore. I had my cast removed 4 wks post surgery and I am now in an aircast for an additional 4 wks. I was wondering if any one had a similar break and how they are now doing. I am hoping to walk without a limp and to eventually wear shoes again.

hello im lyndsey
on [[[[[oct 12th 2007]]]]]]]]
i broke my fibula(big bone i think i get them mixed up) really close to my ankle.

i spiraled fractured my tibia.

i broke the sides off on my ankle and my groth plates slide over into my ankle.

i had surgery ansd i have three screws and im playing soccer as of now!

i mean really give it time
i thought i would never heal!
it seems so long
but now im fine

Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM

34 posts, read 287,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynlynlyndsey View Post
hello im lyndsey
on [[[[[oct 12th 2007]]]]]]]]
i broke my fibula(big bone i think i get them mixed up) really close to my ankle.

i spiraled fractured my tibia.

i broke the sides off on my ankle and my groth plates slide over into my ankle.

i had surgery ansd i have three screws and im playing soccer as of now!

i mean really give it time
i thought i would never heal!
it seems so long
but now im fine
hi, when you say really give it time, can you give me an estamated length of time.thank you.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Yar

12 posts, read 115,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2rehab View Post
yar,

did you take your few steps with or without any kind of brace without crutches? I also took some steps today but only with a walking brace...just wondering thanks
I walk with no braces at all. Its been a week now that I've been walking around with no crutches. The limp is getting better. But the main problem is still the tightness of my ankle and my achillies tendon. I still see an improvement everday though. Supposed to start physiotherapy in a week or so.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 PM

1,910 posts, read 5,689,495 times
Default Hi

I'm the guy who originally started this thread. I broke my leg back in July. To be exact July 3rd 2008 about 9pm. I had surgery on July 13th. I had to wait for surgery due to horrible swelling in the leg. I broke the Fib near the ankle and up near the near and the Tib in the shin area closer to the ankle. For a long time my foot and achilles was super tight and painful. I'ts Feb 12th 2008 and i'm still not 100%. I cant run at full speed without pain in the areas where the break of the tib was. And the pins and screws in the bottom of my Tib near the ankle hurt alot when i move my foot, my achilles is somewhat tight. I'll give it a couple more months before getting more tests done.

has anybody had all the hardware removed? If so is that a big deal surgery? Was it worth it?

Thanks !!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,942 times
hi, my name is minh and i'm a first year med student. riding my bike to class two weeks ago, i got hit by a car that broke my tibia and fibula midway up my shin. i got the rod and nails and drugs and all. i was told to bear weight as tolerated. surgeon told me to follow up with him after two weeks. he's completely inaccessible. took the staples out myself two days ago, the cast off yesterday, and started walking today. i limp, but there's almost no pain from the area where he bone broke. tons of tightness in the ankle like many of you. i had knee problems from before, and so i'm getting soreness from there as well. I'm able to stretch and touch my toes, although it takes some walking around to warm it up. as a first year medical student, i know next to nothing about orthopedics. am i mad to be out and about as soon as I am?
PS: for those of you who are depressed and lonely at home, I feel ya. Thinking back about the accident still scares me, and morning pain and stiffness is terrible. But it gets better. Keep your spirits up! I hope you're as lucky as I've been and did not suffer any spine or head injuries. Thank the lord you don't have exams to worry about
Take care everyone. -Minh

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 AM

117 posts, read 635,723 times
Default Nel-compound fracture tib & fib

January 28th 2007, I was skating with my daughter, we were having fun, I had this gut feeling something was about to happen, the blade on my skate got inbeded in the ice, while my body turned my leg stayed put. I heard the brake!! I tired getting up with my daughters help to my surprise my foot was facing in the wrong direction, than the burning sensation came. It felt like someone set my leg on fire..
Had surgery that evening, plate and screws. First two month were the wrost month of my life, thank goodness it is over. I went for my x-ray once a month, I started getting discourage after 5 month when the doctor told me the bones weren't healing ( not fusing together). I started getting depress, I wasn't myself any more, it felt like nothing would ever make me happy. Finally after the six month my tibia healed, new bone growth was forming, I felt like dancing.
I am a smoker, the doctor told me to quit. I cut way down on my smoking. He would ask if i was taking my calcium tablets and my vitamin D & C. Faithfully I took all of them every single day..
January 3rd 2008 went back to see the ortho surgen. Ordered another x-ray and blood test, waited one week for his phone call, finally he called me with some good news and some bad news. Good news was, no bone infection, bad news my fibula is not fuesd together, it has been 1 year and two month. The depression came back.. He gave me on option, if the plate and screws still give me discomfort he can remove them within two years. He told me as long as the fibula doesn't bother me we can leave it the way it is, I am very afraid to have another surgery so I told him I will leave it alonge.... I will try and live a normal life. I still can't run normally..

Reading all your stories have helped with my depression, I am feeling better and stroner, thank you!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:49 AM

117 posts, read 635,723 times
Positiveone,
I just read your story, thank you for starting the thread.
It has been one year and close to two month since my surgery, I asked my doctor why I was experiencing pain where the plate and screws are, right away he asked me if I have had any kind of infection, I said no!!
He ordered blood test and an x-ray. To me my leg look really good no sign of discoloration.. He thought maybe I had developed an infection in my bone.
My blood test came back 100% normal, thank goodness.
Bad news my fib is not fused together, may never fused together, as long as it doesn't bother me I will leave it alonge. Just thinking about it makes me sick though. I really don't want another surgery so I will leave it until it really starts bothering me....

take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.