Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM

62 posts, read 259,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post
Thanks Nannyof2 - I had a plaster cast while I was in the hospital (5 days) and now have a fiberglass cast but my foot is set crooked. I was reacting to all pain meds, so when he was trying to manipulate my foot to position while the cast was setting he had a hard time. I worry about how it will heal, but nothing I can do about it.

Yes, the waiting is hard, but even harder is that people just don't seem to understand that it is not just a "broken leg"- they expect that you should be able to get up and get around... I can't put my foot down for more than a couple of minutes, it still hurts a lot, and I am so bored and frustrated. But people come home after work/school, moan about their day, and go off to do their own thing still leaving me on my own. Sometimes they are so grumpy I am afraid to ask for anything - even help putting cream on my rashed back (a result of my med reactions).

Feeling pretty depressed right now - trying hard to keep up a good face but don't feel as good as I try to let my visitors think.

Can't wait until the pain goes and this is just an inconvenience
I think you are doing a lot better than I did when I had my first surgery!! I was a maniac, I yelled at the nurse who wanted to change my fracture blisters without washing her hands first. I tackled the orderly who tried to take my Morphine tower away. When people dumped on me about their day I told them to shut up and dont come here unless they had positive things to say. I told my family at day three when I could not get anyone to come and help me go to the bathroom in the hospital that I was leaving and I did!!! I think they called me a real peach!!!

I was frustrated trying to walk with crutches and always tripped over things. One day I tripped in my front yard and I started yelling like I had torrets and I threw my crutches across the front yard! Then I was stuck there until someone came and got my crutches. Dont worry what others think I used to think they thought I was faking it and it made me mad. Now that I am going for a second surgery they all know better. As far as your foot and leg go sometimes the doctors have to put them together the best they can in the situation knowing that they may have to come back and do more work later. The pain becomes easier I have walked witha broken tibea for a year and a half and I do not know what a day without pain feels like. Your mental attitude will be the key to your recovery. You have to get throught the hard days with the knowlege that you will begin to feel better each day, and become stronger each day. Each step you go through is a minor victory! When you get your cast off celebrate, when you start PT and it hurts celebrate! When you can take a shower without someone helping you celebrate!!! This is a process that takes time! You will be strong and as good as new before you know it!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM

20 posts, read 50,538 times
thank you all for your encouraging words it helps im still scared for pt tomorrow but i hope it goes well and is not to painful for me its been 3 months tomorrow since my accident i miss working and cleaning and making dinner for my kids all the
things you normelly complain about doing are the things i miss the most imagine that..... im an lna at a nursing home so im used to taking care of people not the other way around well hope yOu are all feeling better....

Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,918 times
Same story here Daedalus42 and UofTLaw I am almost 7 week after clean fracture of Tib/Fib and surgery. A good size piece of my tibia broke of during surgery and is now horizontal at the fracture. I have Tib rod with two screws below knee and one screw above my ankle. My fib is still not quite bonded, a lot of movement at the break when walking especially when lifting my heal or going down stairs. My OS gave the go for full weight at 5 week and my ankle and knee are still quite swollen. I also have a good amount of numbness and poor flexibility in my knee. I have had three PT session and they help loosening up the stiffness. The next day is very painful of course but pain comes with progress I guess/hope.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM

190 posts, read 542,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Hi Monica!!!
How are you doing!!! Can you believe I am going to do this one more time!!!!!!! I must be crazy!! Well I just fixed up the yard and the planting beds and it looks good. Now I can have that next operation lol !!!! I am glad you are starting to do all of the things you used too! It is a long road for us all. Well wish me luck its going to be a long surgery in the am!

Mike
Dear Mike: Well you know I am wishing you the bes of luck and of course a super speedy recovery,,,And as far as being crazy...welllll, I think you know what is best for you!!!! I hope you'll keep us up to date.
Good uck and I'll keep you in my prayers!!!
Mo

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 186,791 times
Hey Simms - good luck with tomorrow!

Thanks for the pep talk... I actually feel so much better today than I have in the past 2 weeks... think I finally had a half decent night's sleep last night and feel more energetic today. Hopefully these improvements will keep coming. Can't wait to see my OS Wednesday and see howthings are healing!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:46 AM

64 posts, read 334,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenion View Post
Same story here Daedalus42 and UofTLaw I am almost 7 week after clean fracture of Tib/Fib and surgery. A good size piece of my tibia broke of during surgery and is now horizontal at the fracture. I have Tib rod with two screws below knee and one screw above my ankle. My fib is still not quite bonded, a lot of movement at the break when walking especially when lifting my heal or going down stairs. My OS gave the go for full weight at 5 week and my ankle and knee are still quite swollen. I also have a good amount of numbness and poor flexibility in my knee. I have had three PT session and they help loosening up the stiffness. The next day is very painful of course but pain comes with progress I guess/hope.
Hey Thenion,

Thanks for the reply. My PT said that pain does come with the exercises but it shouldn't be more than and hour or two after exercises. The knee exercise they have me doing for my knee are just extensions. So just lying down and and sliding my bad leg toward myself and stretching the knee out to my limit (usually to a tightness or when it becomes a slightest bit uncomfortable), hold for 5 secs and release back down to a straight leg.

Not too sure if this is totally aside from exercising but has anyone out there experience odd pain or feeling on their back leg? I had one break in my fib and when I elevate my leg, I have this weird feeling like I am moving the bone around or something as it feels weird. I almost get the feeling that my fib from the crack is shifting. Or there is some movement or shifting around. Does this sound odd to anyone?

Thank you all for the posts. Wish you all the best during recovery and I am hopeful to hear good news from my surgeon soon.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 AM

16 posts, read 54,297 times
Great post Simms! We do need to celebrate every single day. I, personally, will NEVER again take for granted how wonderful and how special taking a shower is.
And good luck today and a very speedy recovery...praying for you.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM

27 posts, read 119,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1712 View Post
Hey all, my OS told me to go full weight last Wednesday. My question for all you FWBers is...when you were told to go FWB, did you jump in head first or did it take awhile for you to really put the weight on it? Also, I'm worried that I will never actually put the full-weight on it, just gimp along as I'm doing now. I arch my barefoot when I walk and am afraid that I may actually be doing more damage than good. He wants me to be free of the crutches when I see him in a month...eek. I would really like to graduate to a cane instead of the crutches, anybody find this helpful? Thanks guys, and God bless us all.
Going FWB is great news but it does present a new set of challenges. I got in a shoe 6 weeks post OP which was the 13th of this month. My OS just told me to start walking. I tried, but no way, it was just to difficult. I needed a walker for the first 2 days, and used a cane for another 10 days. I can tell you the first 10 days were very challenging, I really found it quite painfull to walk. Mornings are very tough, as are hard floors barefoot. Things started easing up after about 2 weeks. Walking the first week was so difficult it was hard for me to believe the pain would really go away. However, while I can't say I am pain free, I can tell you there is a huge difference from just one week back. Trusting that the bone has healed and can bear full weight was a psychological barrier that I found a bit difficult to overcome. One day I just decided to go for it and take a step, it hurt but my ankle did hold up just as my OS said it would. Since then I have demanded more of my injured ankle each day, I take it slow but I do ask for more each new day.

Last edited by codeman; 03-31-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 159,803 times
wow,after reading some horror stories here i dont feel so depressed..i am on 4th week post op. i had my first pt yesterday. 30% bend the knee. i was without pain.go back fri then to surgeon on mon. how often do you think if things go well on the knee bends i can expect some weight on the leg? i am trying to get off the pain meds. i took 2 b4 the pt but didnt need them and havent taken any since not that i will be able to continue without but i really want to get off them.they make me depresssed,constipated and god only what else..any input anyone? mike

Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM

51 posts, read 186,791 times
I react to pain meds, so do not use any except for possibly a T3 at night - it was very hard at first, but I find it bearable now. Some of the sensations took getting used to. maybe you should try extending time between them, and start to cut your doses in half to see how that works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness