U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM

175 posts, read 596,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
I so agree with you Nanny. Who knew walking was a luxury. I agree the freedom to just get out of my chair to walk to computer is wonderful. I too have not tackled the standing alone in the shower yet did try it but not stable without having a shoe on my fx ankle. I did order a pair of water tennis shoes to see if that helps. Just cannot walk on my barefoot or foot with sock on. It just feels too strange and cannot balance. I look forward to being able to be able to walk the dog again. Oh such freedom to just be able to walk even if it is with a limp.
When I first got the boot off, I had problems walking anywhere there wasn't plush carpeting if I didn't have shoes on. What helped greatly was putting a thick, bubble type mat in the tub. It sticks wonderfully and it's cushioned enough to be comfortable. Something to perhaps try, anyway.

And Nanny, I remember finally being able to carry my own coffee someplace. What a feeling! That's a fantastic milestone so congrats!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM

175 posts, read 596,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post
Thanks Mike - I don't think I would typically use my left foot when braking - I was just warned that if you have to brake suddenly, that people generally use the left foot to brace themselves, and they were worried about aggravating the injury. I am now almost 4 weeks post surgery, but had to have my foot manipulated and reset last Wednesday, as it was set very crookedly the first time and I had no movement of my toes until this week. Have been going through the same sensations as I did the first week post surgery (strangulation, shooting pains, etc) but they are settling out now. I have never been able to use pain meds as they either made me ill or gave me rashes... I do have one now that I can use only at night.
Just check with your insurance and DMV - some states have laws that you cannot have a cast at all while driving. Other than that, go for it.

I'm still having a hard time driving. I can't hit the brakes hard, and with the PICC line in my arm, I get so nervous about the airbags. I'm making hubby drive me to/from my appointments and work right now. Perhaps once I get the PICC out, I'll feel a little more confident.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:25 PM

68 posts, read 228,083 times
Quote:
Cristina and Nanny, that is great - you both sound like you are improving!

I would like to be able to go in to work a few hours a week but would have to drive... it is my left foot which is NWB - anyone drive with that? I have not even been able to put it down for long without it going purple and swelling, and have never rested it on the ground. The biggest concern is the pressure that you put on when braking, especially in an emergency. Any advice?
Hey kek44,
Mine is a little different scenario. My right leg was my NWB so i was driving with my left foot. A little scary to run both pedals with my left foot. I did fine as long as i did not go too far from home. I did not start driving until i was about 8 weeks post op. By then i was off pain meds and in pretty minimal pain. So just be safe and congrats on a little freedom.

Joy

Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 PM

139 posts, read 486,204 times
kek I also drove NWB. Was never a left foot driver. Hard part was keeping it down for even short period of time I left the house til I got to work. Then one of the girls brought office wheelchair down to me. I kept my foot elevated the entire time I was at work. First 5 days going back to work was the toughest for me but it was good to be back to work.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM

139 posts, read 486,204 times
Kek forgot to mention for whatever reason I still have the purple color and swelling that comes and goes even more now since full weight bearing. Ortho dr says that is normal but for me right now they are trying to control my swelling that comes and goes with anti inflammatory meds that as of yesterday seem to not be working.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM

51 posts, read 160,246 times
Yes, I still have that purple color and swelling whenever my foot is down for more than 5 minutes... the drive to work will be about 20 minutes so not sure how it will feel by then. It is almost 4 weeks post surgery and I feel like I should be doing more. Someone is driving me to a doctor appt tomorrow - it will be a longer drive so I guess I will see what that is like with my foot down before I attempt the drive to work myself. I am also still not very good on crutches, and there is still ice and snow out there so that scares me as that is how I did this in the first place and I would need a clear path for crutches.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 PM

189 posts, read 650,425 times
Quote:
Thanks Mike - I don't think I would typically use my left foot when braking - I was just warned that if you have to brake suddenly, that people generally use the left foot to brace themselves, and they were worried about aggravating the injury. I am now almost 4 weeks post surgery, but had to have my foot manipulated and reset last Wednesday, as it was set very crookedly the first time and I had no movement of my toes until this week. Have been going through the same sensations as I did the first week post surgery (strangulation, shooting pains, etc) but they are settling out now. I have never been able to use pain meds as they either made me ill or gave me rashes... I do have one now that I can use only at night.

You will also want to make sure your Dr. gives you the

Old 04-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Cristina and Nanny, that is great - you both sound like you are improving!

I would like to be able to go in to work a few hours a week but would have to drive... it is my left foot which is NWB - anyone drive with that? I have not even been able to put it down for long without it going purple and swelling, and have never rested it on the ground. The biggest concern is the pressure that you put on when braking, especially in an emergency. Any advice?

What I wanted to say before my cat landed on my keyboard was make sure your OS gives you the "ok" to drive. You want to make sure your bones are strong enough to handle the pressure if you do have to suddenly hit the brakes to avoid an accident. Goodluck!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM

51 posts, read 160,246 times
Thanks nanny- I don't see him again until April 22, but I think I am expected back to work before then as my 6 weeks off will be done... Guess I may have to make a phone call.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, I still have that purple color and swelling whenever my foot is down for more than 5 minutes... the drive to work will be about 20 minutes so not sure how it will feel by then. It is almost 4 weeks post surgery and I feel like I should be doing more. Someone is driving me to a doctor appt tomorrow - it will be a longer drive so I guess I will see what that is like with my foot down before I attempt the drive to work myself. I am also still not very good on crutches, and there is still ice and snow out there so that scares me as that is how I did this in the first place and I would need a clear path for crutches.

I know what you mean about the crutches, I never did like them, I find it much easier for me to get around with a walker. I just feel much more secure.

When I could not leave my foot down very long in the car, I would ride in the back and prop my foot up on the console in between the 2 front seats with a pillow. It really helped alot with the pain and swelling.

Goodluck with your appt. tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness