U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 12:11 PM

139 posts, read 486,283 times

Advertisements

Nanny so wonderful you got ok to start walking in a regular shoe. Take your time. Even before my second surgery it was so wonderful being in a regular shoe. Hopefully your PT was helpful in telling you what shoe to purchase. Mine told me what kind I needed to get and where to purchase tennis shoes at. I ended up with New balance and they were the most comfortable shoes I have ever purchased they have the roller balance in middle. Good Luck . Take your time in walking. Increase walking each day. Soon what you went through in the past will be just a dull memory. Each day only gets better in walking. Good luck to you!!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 AM

64 posts, read 290,978 times
Hi everyone,

It has been a couple of weeks since my last post. By reading through some of them, I want to congratulate all of those who have had great success in their recent surgeries and I hope your healing or "re-healing" goes well. And for those who have been new since I've been here, welcome! I can tell you that this is a great place to have some of your fears rest assured or just have a feeling that you are not alone in this world and we too, may feel your pain.

Just a quick update on myself, it has been now about 8 weeks into my recovery from a broken left leg (Fib and Tib break with rod and screws inserted). Actually saw the doctor the past week and they have finally given me the green light to put 50% of my leg weight (meaning 50lbs of my 200lbs - because theoretically each leg holds 50% each of your total body weight). Still not getting over the initial fear of knowing that my leg can be placed back on the ground. Always fearing that the second I place some pressure on it again, it will break. Doctor showed my x-rays and the bone is aligned and some of the bone has mended in my tibia and he said new bone is starting to form even though there is still small breaks. Fibula for some reason is still slow to heal but I was told it should not affect the walking or standing with weight. Last thing he told me was that I should start putting weight on it as the second break on my fibula is closer to my ankle and putting weight on it will "encourage" healing on that break.

Any encouraging words to psychologically get over this? One more good news is that I can take off the aircast at night to sleep and I can shower with my entire body in the tub again - no more sticking my leg outside. Sleep is great now!

Take care and keep your heads up!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 AM

139 posts, read 486,283 times
UofTLaw......So wonderful that you are now able to bear 50% of your weight. I was wondering how you were doing. Psychologically just do not think about it go with how it feels concentrate on positive. Bend knee and walk. I started out with two crutches the first week and walked about three times then each day increased it. You tire easy at first and do not over do it shin splints can set in. Take your time and you will be ok. After 5/12/09 after my staples are out I will be right up there with you again. Keep your spirits up Baby steps at first. Good luck Bev

Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM

189 posts, read 650,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Nanny so wonderful you got ok to start walking in a regular shoe. Take your time. Even before my second surgery it was so wonderful being in a regular shoe. Hopefully your PT was helpful in telling you what shoe to purchase. Mine told me what kind I needed to get and where to purchase tennis shoes at. I ended up with New balance and they were the most comfortable shoes I have ever purchased they have the roller balance in middle. Good Luck . Take your time in walking. Increase walking each day. Soon what you went through in the past will be just a dull memory. Each day only gets better in walking. Good luck to you!!

Thanks Bhosler....I already had a pair of New Balance shoes that I like alot and I have been walking some in those, but I will ask my PT if there is another type of shoe they would recommend, don't know what I would do without my PT!

You are right about taking your time with walking, I have already found my limits so I need to listen to my body and respect those limitations! It is just so tough!! I feel pretty good and want to do more, I just have to patient (ughhhh) and take this slow! You would think I would have learned more patience through all of this, but I am struggling with it right now, I want to do more, my foot just won't let me!

Goodluck today with removing your bandages and starting to WB bear again, I am so glad that removing your hardware has helped you so much!

Nanny

Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 AM

189 posts, read 650,545 times
UofTlaw,
Congrats on being able to remove your aircast to sleep and shower, that is a wonderful feeling! Goodluck as you begin to WB. Your PT should help you overcome your fears. I was also very fearful when I was first told to begin to WB, it will get easier with time. Just try to be patient (easy for me to say, I am losing mine!). Your leg will let you know what your limits are, just try to tune in to how you are feeling.
Goodluck!
Nanny

Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 AM

51 posts, read 133,336 times
UofTLAW and Greeneyes42- looks like both of you began wb at 8 weeks,i am at 8 weeks now and see my OS tomm. hopefully i will get the green light after he sees the xrays. UofTLAW i know what you mean about the fear. i bought a cane and was seeing if and how it would work and i have fear too and i am sure the PT will get me thru that as well. he said it takes about 2 weeks to make a safe transition from the walker to the cane. my problem now is my hands hurt so bad, my leg doesnt even hurt just my hands from all the weight on the walker handles. both of you have given me inspiration and hope i can go wb tomm and make a transition to the cane. at least one of my hands can get to heaking,lol. Nannyof2,you have came so far and help everyone here..thanks,will give my update tomm...thanks,mike

Old 05-03-2009, 12:31 PM

51 posts, read 160,266 times
UofTLaw - congratulations on this advancement! It is a really scary thing to begin the weight bearing but you can judge how it feels and just do a bit at a time. Just about 2 weeks ago I went from NWB to WBAT with the view to FWB as soon as I feel ready. I used the crutches and was very careful about how much weight to put on, but tried to put a bit more on each time even for a couple of steps. The first few days the swelling was huge and there was more pain, but every day gets better. Do the exercises the physio gave you and go by how you feel. I am now using 1 crutch and can carry my own coffee to my seat on the couch, and hopefully will be back at work next week!

Good luck - the fear is there, but you will get over it as you begin to learn what you can handle.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
UofTLaw......So wonderful that you are now able to bear 50% of your weight. I was wondering how you were doing. Psychologically just do not think about it go with how it feels concentrate on positive. Bend knee and walk. I started out with two crutches the first week and walked about three times then each day increased it. You tire easy at first and do not over do it shin splints can set in. Take your time and you will be ok. After 5/12/09 after my staples are out I will be right up there with you again. Keep your spirits up Baby steps at first. Good luck Bev
Hi Bev,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! We'll do this together!

I am really happy to see your progression is going well.

Please keep your head up as well! I think you're right, the best thing to do is just do it without thinking about it too much! The more you think, the more you become afraid and stop doing it. I will take your advice, start slow. Even putting myself on the scale to see how 50lbs felt was hard! I felt as if I placed a lot of weight on it.

Anyhow, I will keep you posted. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
UofTlaw,
Congrats on being able to remove your aircast to sleep and shower, that is a wonderful feeling! Goodluck as you begin to WB. Your PT should help you overcome your fears. I was also very fearful when I was first told to begin to WB, it will get easier with time. Just try to be patient (easy for me to say, I am losing mine!). Your leg will let you know what your limits are, just try to tune in to how you are feeling.
Goodluck!
Nanny
Nanny...will do on the patience, and I know what you mean. Sometimes time just flies and you feel as if nothing has been accomplished. I think its much easier to hear these things from people who have gone through it. I have had my parents and friends tell me to "just do it!". But I get angry at them because it is so easy for them to say as they have had both their legs in perfect working condition.

And I hear you on the aircast being off and my entire body being in the shower. I think the technicians at the hospital were getting light headed from the sock smells! Tee hee!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike perry ia View Post
UofTLAW and Greeneyes42- looks like both of you began wb at 8 weeks,i am at 8 weeks now and see my OS tomm. hopefully i will get the green light after he sees the xrays. UofTLAW i know what you mean about the fear. i bought a cane and was seeing if and how it would work and i have fear too and i am sure the PT will get me thru that as well. he said it takes about 2 weeks to make a safe transition from the walker to the cane. my problem now is my hands hurt so bad, my leg doesnt even hurt just my hands from all the weight on the walker handles. both of you have given me inspiration and hope i can go wb tomm and make a transition to the cane. at least one of my hands can get to heaking,lol. Nannyof2,you have came so far and help everyone here..thanks,will give my update tomm...thanks,mike
Hey Mike,

I wish you luck on your doctor's appointment. Lets hope you can at least put some (any) weight on your leg. The one thing to remember the most is to listen to your body and not rush it. Your body will tell you when is enough. Sometimes this is a hard lesson to learn as many people want to get better quicker than their body can handle. If its only 25%, then lets do it 25%.

Keep us posted and we're always for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness