U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM

16 posts, read 29,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Hey guys,

Great posts and I thank you all for your help and advice.

Last night I did something really dumb. I thought I would start exploring my house a bit more by walking around in crutches with my aircast on (kept on outside of my bedroom). I was walking into the kitchen which happened to be tiled with the front foyer - both rooms connected. Anyway, I walked from the kitchen to the foyer where there was moisture on the floor. My left crutch slipped on it where I lost grip and by reaction, I placed my left leg (injured) down with some impact. I didn't fall but both legs were then on the fall but I believe my good leg (right) still bared the majority on the weight of my body. Although I didn't fall I temporary lost grip from my crutch which made me put my leg down. My right side was fine with the crutch in grip and leg stationed down. But now I became concern that perhaps my bone may have taken a small hit on it. Luckily, I do not feel any additional pain but have now grown weary.

My question to all is, although our bones are healing and haven't totally mended, do you think after 8 weeks (and given the okay to put 50lbs back on the leg) and going through that split second ordeal, is there anything to worry about?

I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and let him know but I thought I'd get some opinions and perhaps some people who have gone through similar events.
I was 1 day shy of 9 weeks and I did a similar thing. I was at the sink brushing my teeth and I got a huge cramp in my good thigh. Natural reflexes had me put full weight on my broken leg! It felt like 1,000 volts of electricity shooting thru my foot and up my leg. We opted not to call the OS, I was going to see him in a week anyways. When I did see him, he laughed at me and said almost everybody does it and it hurt nothing...just don't make a habit of doing it. I hope this helps you, good luck.
Mindy

Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 PM

51 posts, read 124,647 times
There are a number of people on the other website that Nanny posted (I have never posted it here because I wasn't sure how people would feel so thanks for sharing it Nanny - it has a lot of info but is more difficult to navigate)... anyways there are a number who have not had surgery or who have had the choice of whether or not to. From what I have learned there it depends on how the bones are lined up and it may be a longer time but non-invasive so less painful recovery. Age is definitely on her side.

When I was at the OS 2 weeks ago, another girl who was at the same stage as me was told that by 2 weeks she would likely be walking fairly normally (with physio).. she was 20... me, I was told that because of my age (47) it would be quite a while and I could expect about 3 months physio before I was walking somewhat normally

Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,379 times
Thanks all for the input, I did check out the other site at mybrokenleg.com - it's amazing to see how many people break their legs! And I realize my daughter is pretty lucky considering there are a lot of people who have it MUCH worse. However, that other site is not easy to navigate and so far I have not found anyone on else who hasn't had surgery.

I believe that my daughter is pretty much done growing, but I do realize that she has youth and health on her side so I hope for the best. We were fortunate to have a doctor who took the time to x-ray it weekly and "adjusted" the tibia slightly each week to keep it straight until the bones got "sticky," as he called it. The tibia is perfectly straight and has not shifted for 7 weeks now, so there's really no need for a rod, but doc is perplexed as to why there's not more bone growth after 10 weeks. We are getting a second and third opinion from the other two doctors in his group and will find out more at he appointment tomorrow. Maybe it's just going to take a lot more time.

She just wants to get into the short cast as she is SICK of the long cast. Doc said after she wears the short cast for awhile she can get a walking boot. But at this rate, it looks like she'll still be in some sort of cast for her high school graduation in early June. : (

Anyway, THANK YOU you again for your input -- if anyone else knows anything please post. : )

Old 05-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Hi Soccermom - I know that my broken leg is a more difficult site to find what you are looking for on without reading all the way through or doing a search, so I started a new thread with the jist of your question (none of the details) so that you may be able to get answers that way. Let me know if you need help with how to navigate it.

Glad you are getting other opinions. Diet is really important - sometimes it takes people longer to regenerate... youth is on her side - sorry she will be in a cast for grad, but hopefully she can have a nice long dress so that you can have pictures without even being able to tell!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:52 PM

soccermom - there is a message on the other board with info for you

Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM

7,129 posts, read 13,861,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
Long long time no post...sorry about that. Been uber busy with school in general, homework, massive project, midterm exam, another porject, etc. Things are feeling much better. I figure from a bump on my shin that thats were all the pain was coming from -it was pressing on nerves. I would like to say im pain free but cant. I have started jogging again...after 3 years! but standing is still painful -i dont see how that is: motion isent to bad but standing in one place is). Sometimes there are random bursts of pain but not many at a time which is good...the red blotch is still. Its were theres a big clump of scar tissue is under the skin. I dont know if it will ever be normal again but im very very pleased. So, how is everyone? I guess not many people remember me anymore. I know Monica does...MONICA, how are you? Walking I hope...I will try to catch up on reading but I am going camping this weekened so it will have to wait till next week...i should finish packing now so good luck to all!
Hey kid! Glad to read you are feeling better but please take it easy. You don't want to do too much then reinjure it.

Did you ever get to the doctor for a 2nd opinion?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 9,379 times
Default Thank you kek411!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post
soccermom - there is a message on the other board with info for you
Hey thanks so much! I saw the thread you started for me on the other forum and there's already someone with a similar break and I will be able to learn more now.

CHRIS

Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Soccermom - glad to hear it.. there is another post there too... just keep scrolling until you find it again as it can get pushed down. Ask me (you can email me through this) if you need tech help. Karen

Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Next OS appt tomorrow morning... 9 weeks, have been 2 weeks wbat with almost daily PT - am penguin walking with 1 crutch and hoping to get go ahead to get back to work... a bit nervous about that too as some people just don't seem to understand the extent of this kind of injury - don't want people think I am just taking advantage!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:27 AM

34 posts, read 60,489 times
update everyone..its about to make 8 weeks after surgery im almost able to walk.. i went from crutch rite to no crutches in the last two weeks but the only problem is i cant bend down because my ankle does not want to bend that way plus it is still a little swollen..how is everyone/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness