Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 11:49 PM

64 posts, read 333,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Glad to hear you are doing good. If you have a crutch the complete FWB is easier I think if not I went from crutch to 4 prong cane to reg cane in matter of around 4 weeks. Do not overdue it at first to get the shin splints they can be very painful. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hey Bev...thanks for the support. I actually did my first cane only experience at PT today and man did it feel a lot different than going full weight on the crutches. I couldn't help but feel nervous that something would go wrong in my bones as I really pushed my leg to walk on it's own.

Question to everyone, is there a particular method that is correct in using the cane? Is the cane beside the good leg or the bad? And what is the sequence of movements? To all those who have weight beared with a cane, please lend a hand. Do we also need a cane or can we improve our walking by using just crutches?

I think the PT was really trying to push me to work the leg and at times, I felt that I was being a chicken about doing things. But as they all say, "do it at your pace right?". I also went on a wobble board, anyone else do this?

Anyway, just really trying to get over the fear of just using a cane as I am still a bit scared to use it even though it has been 3 months. Just don't want anything else to go wrong with my leg. In my mind, it's better to nurse it now then to have to re-do this all over because I was a bit ambitious to walk again.

Anyway, night all!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Hi everyone, had my first therapy session since hardware out. Fought very hard to get in and so glad I did. My PT said I could never had done self therapy on my own at first. I was scared I had no feeling around area felt like it was asleep. I feel its been sleeping these past 5 months time to wake up. He spent over 45 minutes working with my stiff unfeeling area and now can actually move the actle so much better and actually have feeling come back. PT told me had I not come to see him the ankle would have gotten comfortable stiff and numb. I am so glad I fought for the right to have therapy and be able to walk almost normal. PT says he will give me 90-95% and I would still have some areas of no feeling. My OS ok'd 3 session a week until July 10th. PT said they will cram teaching me everything in that length of time but I said if they feel that's not enough then I will fight again for more therapy. It is such a wonderful feeling to be able to move the ankle and have ROM again.
Congrats Bev....keep working hard! We're here for you!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
I broke my leg March 9th 2009. The fib and the tib bones. I had surgery the next morning. 1 titainium rod was placed in the large bone and 1 screw in my knee and 2 in my ankle.
The doctor saw me a few weeks ago and told me that my leg was healing very slowly and there was very little new bone growth. That was at 10 weeks after surgery.
I then at that point was allowed to pur 50% weight while still on crutches. I am still doing this. but that did not even start until 11 weeks post op like i said. I have still to this day never had physical therapy of any sort......i am worried that maybe that should have started by now. Is it normal to NOT have PT? My leg is still sore most days but not unbearable....I am starting to get a knot of calcium growth at the sight of where the bones broke. ( i guess thats good) and that started since my last doc visit when i started putting 50% weight. The doc talked about maybe taking two ankle screws out if the bone doesnt start healing better/faster. How commin is that? Also...after reading this forum....I am so discouraged because so many people were walking or starting to walk in 3 months and here i am in my 13 or 14th week post op and I am still on crutches and dont know if id be able to walk if i tried! It still feels so weak. Will I ever get off these crutches? It is such a pain. LOL (by the way i am 40 yrs old).
I just want to know if its still going to be a while before i am allowed to try to start walking again and when that happens do you just start doing it or do you slowly stop using crutches? how long is it normal to have a limp? I am just mortified about this. and also....this is silly...but will i ever wear any type of heels again (shoes).
I have been very lucky in the sense that i have an awesome range of movement in my ankle....my knee too....my knee does have some stiffness but nothing that bothers me too bad. I can move my leg around and bend like a normal person pretty much. I just cant put much weight on my leg. I really really want to feel like i am progressing soon. I want to walk so bad. I want to be able to carry my own plate or my own drink. Sheesh I feel SO dependant on everyone.
Any advice? words of encouragment?
thanks!

Linda
Hi Linda...you and similar in a sense of our injuries and surgery required. I too have the rod and screws. In fact the time of my surgery was also the next day, 5pm?

I just wanted to add on to Bev and Nanny and really emphasize on the importance of PT. The OS started me off on PT after the 4th week post op even before I was able to put any weight on my leg. It was important to keep my other muscles on the leg working so it makes the process of weight bearing easier when you are able to. PT was vital in my confidence to be able to place my foot back onto the floor again. I could not have done this alone or without them. I just started to transition myself to a cane and I was terrified. However, just having them there to provide support makes your feel good enough to try. I think seeing a PT may be able to make you more confident and answer all your questions to make you feel at ease.

And please, DO NOT worry about the time. Although you are 40, it should not discourage you one bit. Sometimes, it may just be your OS more than your age. For example, I was told that my OS was very detailed and cautious. I am 28 years old and considered "young" to the healthcare professionals I dealt with during my injuries. It wasn't until the 8th week that the OS allowed me to place 50% of my weight down and it was only recently at the end of May that he gave me the green light to go full weight bearing as tolerated. So keep your head up, it may be your OS wanting to be a bit more cautious for you.

The important thing right now is to have the right nutrients in your that will allow your body to function and work. Vitamin D and calcium supplements are great for bone growth.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Wow - a lot of good news is flying around this site! Congrats to all on the improvements. Bev, I am so excited to hear that you got your therapy and Nanny, how cool to be DONE!

I have been reading the stories of our newest members and I'm so sorry that you all had to join our group, but this is an awesome bunch that can help you through the tough times.

I'm doing okay, I guess. Today marks 6 weeks since I had two screws removed, and Monday was 27 weeks since my accident. I am getting nervous because the incision is still not completely closed, and it should be by now. That was the only sign I had of infection the first time around except for the pain. I don't have the pain right now, but I've been on antibiotics since March and am not sure what will happen when I take my last dose. I see the OS again on the 17th and hope that he has some good news for me.
Hey Cristina...we're here pushing for you! Really hope everything is alright and you can start moving forward with your progress.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2y View Post
I agree this is a great grp. I am learning so much just from reading the various posts. It is really good to hear all the people who are doing so well...so there is a light at the end of the tunnel

I start again tomorrow when I have my surgery to correct the original attempt to put Humpty/Dumpty back together again. I cannot wait when I too will be able to post that I am close to being done with this journey! Congratulations again to you all for your preseverance, resourcefulness and moreover, your willingness to give hope to all us "newbies".

cheers!
Hey M2Y...welcome! We're praying for you in hopes that your second surgery is a complete success.

The imporatnt thing is to keep your head up and to give what your body needs to help in regenerating.

What happened originally to you if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike perry ia View Post
Nanny of 2, Again thank you for your positive and helpful feedback to me and everyone here!! You have been awesome in your words of wisdom and encouragement..You seem to be coming along great and you deserve it after all you been through..As for me I have gotten away from the walker,and i am on a cane very little now.MY leg still swells and the knee and ankle area still hurts but I am just lucky to be walking again. I do limp and hopefully that will go away later. Still in PT and prob will be for a quite a while yet..I meet with the OS monday and will see what happens after that..Thanks again for all your help and being there not only for me but for others here!! Mike 13 weeks Post op for me
Hey Mike...glad to hear that you're making progress.

After about 15 weeks I too am progressing to a cane from crutches, how are you finding it? I know it is harder to use than a walker or crutches so I'd like to hear more about your success on this.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 AM

8 posts, read 35,903 times
We are home from the hospital and Bobby had his 5th surgery on left leg. They replaced his broken plate and screws. Also cut his Achillens tendon in two places(much better foot motion) Took hip bone and bone marrow from hip and really packed it into the tib. They had to cut freeflap and he has a couple of sensitive areas. He is pushing hard and I am so proud of him. We must strech his ankle often so it doesn't tighten up.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
Hey!!! I also broke my fib & Tib at multiple places & internal fixation is given to me as well with no weight bearing on bad leg. This happened on 23rd March 2009.

However, my knee has become stiff & unable to bend... Am on physiotherapy for bending knee from last one month but not much progress... Wondering when will the time come when I'll be out of this pain & w'd be able to walk on my legs..

Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 AM

51 posts, read 159,791 times
UofTLaw,
hey,well i was in a walker for about eleven weeks. I was scared of crutches..The walker was very stable,secure but clumbersome at times. I had a heavy duty one which made it more secure for me. Although i am only 175 lbs. I transferred to the cane a few days ago and now i am walking mostly without it. I have a appt with OS tomm and plan on walking in without the cane. And yes there is a proper way of using the cane. My pt has me use it in my strong leg side,putting the cane down with the step on your weak leg. Its actually easy after getting used to it. I am 62 yrs old and young at my age but the cane made me feel older. My leg is stronger as the day goes on. I use the cane first thing in the morning then fade away from it as the day goes by. I am learning how to walk. I have a limp right now and need lotts more therapy to learn how to walk all over again. The cane is good,much better than the crutches. I was ent home from the hospital with crutches but before i got home i stopped and got a walker. My break is a bad one and I may have to have a knee replacement down the road. For now its learning how to walk and getting stronger so i can enjoy my summer...I never thought I wwould be parking in a handicapped parking spot but it has saved on the leg and its only a temporary injury and we all on this board will be walking again. I have perm injury and my leg will never look the same but at least i am walking. Hey,keep in touch ok? mike

Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM

68 posts, read 291,285 times
Hey all,
Glad to hear the good news from most. Welcome to the newbees. I am back from a week long trip on the Harley. Was not sure how i would do on the bike for a week. It was a great trip. I had very little swelling. I had borrowed a pair of boots one size larger but did not need to wear them. We rode 1200 miles in aweek. Got some sun. And then we came home to 60 and rainy. OH WELL!!!! Going to the doc next week to determine whether i have a stress fracture or not. I will keep you all posted. Good to hear all of the progress.

Joy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness