U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 03:26 PM

45 posts, read 259,672 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone-
Well last night after not using crutches for the first time my leg was soooooo swollen up and a little red. I had so much pain yesterday .... not just sore ouch but I mean pain! So last night I took 800 mg of motrin and today i woke up doing much better. Leg is still swollen and today is sore feeling when I walk. I think i really over did it yesterday. in fact i know i did because today i have used one crutch here and there just to keep me from over doing it and I am feeling much better than yesterday. I hope this stuff will only last a few weeks. i have a terrible limp....i look something like the hunchback of notre dame...lol its silly. I think having a big old walking boot on doesnt help because i am uneven. Its very sore. I can def feel it right where the actual break was. I was in misery last night ... terrible. I feel so much better today but i have been babying it.
Gosh its nice to carry my own drink to my room though!!!

linda

Old 06-17-2009, 05:05 PM

189 posts, read 650,079 times
[quote=linnj68;9340923]Hi Everyone-
Well last night after not using crutches for the first time my leg was soooooo swollen up and a little red. I had so much pain yesterday .... not just sore ouch but I mean pain! So last night I took 800 mg of motrin and today i woke up doing much better. Leg is still swollen and today is sore feeling when I walk. I think i really over did it yesterday. in fact i know i did because today i have used one crutch here and there just to keep me from over doing it and I am feeling much better than yesterday. I hope this stuff will only last a few weeks. i have a terrible limp....i look something like the hunchback of notre dame...lol its silly. I think having a big old walking boot on doesnt help because i am uneven. Its very sore. I can def feel it right where the actual break was. I was in misery last night ... terrible. I feel so much better today but i have been babying it.
Gosh its nice to carry my own drink to my room though!!!

Congrats on being able to get rid of your crutches! I remember going through the same things you are. I think it is very normal to try and push our limits, but as you have found out, we also have to respect those limits too. It is a fine line of pushing ourselves to get better and pushing too far. Oh, and to carry your own drink! Woo hoo.........what a great feeling!!!

I also know what you mean about that big ole boot and how uneven it is! My family called me "Franken-foot", "gimpy", "hop-along", "big-foot".....and some others I can't even think of. But before you know it, that boot will be part of your past too! So goodluck and keep up the good work!

Nanny

Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
Hello all,

Just a quick update last night for the first time since my accident I drove the car!! I worked until 8 pm and they when my boyfriend picked me up he made me drive home it was scarry but I did it !!!!!!!! It took me 7 months to get in the driver seat, tomorrow is 7 since my accident. Just a quick little question how long do you think it will be before we all stop counting the weeks/months since our accidents/injuries ???

Congratulations........that is great that you are driving again!! Freedom! I think we will always count the weeks/months since our injuries........at least for a long time.....5 months for me yesterday!

Take care,
Nanny

Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
Reading through most of the posts, and admitedly theres so many! I cant believe how many people are going through the same thing as me when ive never felt so alone!

Ive never broken any bones before, or been in hospital so as you can imagine i was petriefied.

My story is, I went to run to catch up with my friends on an evening out (No, i hadnt been drinking) And my knee seemed to give way and down i went.

6 hours later, still waiting in A&E, Id had an xray - and was told that they couldnt see any dislocation of the knee, but my knee and leg was so swollen they couldnt examine it properly! So sent me home with a pair of crutches and pain killers and told me to come back in 7 days!

7 days down the line i went back to the hospital, went through the story again, this time had a doctor examine my leg and knee putting weight on it etc and saying he thinks it was just muscular tears, but he said he would check my xrays from the week before anyway. He came back and was rather white looking - he said id broken it, broken the head of my fib. :| As you can imagine, i was livid - having being sent home with a broken leg!

I was then put in a cast (Ankle to thigh) and given an appointment for the fracture clinic in 4 days time. When i went back to the fracture clinic i was seen by a surgeon who was disgusted that i was sent home and its a very serious injury. He said if i was a footballer, that would have been the end of my career.

I was booked in for surgery 2 days later. Ive had a metal plate and 7 screws fitted to the fib bone and im in a back slab plaster splint untill thursday (18.6.) When hopefully ill have this plaster thing off, be fitted with a knee brace and hopefully start physio.

Its so so hard. Ive never been through anything so emotionally and physically draining. I keep crying all the time, Im trying to stay positive but i have an over active mind and start thinking all things.

My family have been so so good to me, but can never quite fully understand what im going through.

Another concern of mine, was that obviously im keeping my leg elevated, but when i get up on the crutches to go to the loo my foot turns a reddy/purple colour. I read in a post somewhere that its where the blood rushes down - and because im unable to weight bear my foot cant pump the blood back up the body - i was wondering how true that was?

Any advice or positive thinking would be great!

And also its so nice to read when people are recovering!

So sorry about your injury and all that you went through, can't believe they sent you home! But glad you are on your way to getting better. Your foot turning red/purple is normal as long as it goes back to normal when you elevate it. It will get better with time. I am 5 months post injury and when I first get up, my foot can sometimes still look a little bit red until I start moving around, but mostly it is normal.

I had many ups and downs, "meltdown" days where I would just cry too. I can tell you it does get better with time, it seems like forever while you are sitting there and need help with just about everything you do, but you will get better. So try to stay positive and celebrate each little step forward toward your recovery. Good luck at your Dr. appt tomorrow and keep in touch here, it helps so very much.

Take care,

Nanny

Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyn View Post
Thanks Mary. I just wonder what it will be like without a cast at all. It is pretty uncomfortable to walk around in with the cast, but that may be half the problem. I'm 6'3" and about 215lb with flat feet. It could be that the cast is causing a lot of my foot pain. On the other hand, I have nightmares of my leg snapping without any sort of protection. I guess, I'll just take my crutches. I can't imagine go back to a non-walking cast. I hope everything looks great at your Dr. appointment.

--Matt

--Matt

I felt very vunerable when I first got my cast off and was very protective of my leg and foot. Take your crutches as it will give you confidence and help you with the transition. Take your time and you will be surprised at how quickly you will adjust. I was very afraid when I first began to WB and then walking, but listen to your body and it will let you know what you are ready for and what you are not ready for. If you are going to PT they will help you alot too. Goodluck at your appt. on Fri. and let us know how it goes.

Take care,

Nanny

Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 PM

68 posts, read 227,935 times
Hey all,
Saw the doc on Monday. I know i am a little late posting. Thought i had a stress fracture but all is good. I am 5 months after my injury. He determined that my pain in my upper leg is because i am walking with my bad foot turned out. So the moral of the story is ,that i need to concentrate on keeping my foot straight and he will see me in January. I am still having a lot of swelling. he tells me that could be for a year or 2. Trying to get back to a regular work schedule. that is easier said than done right now. Oh well!!! Hang in there all. Even though my situation may not change much, I will keep posting on my progress. Love to hear all the stories.!!!

Joy

Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
m2y

28 posts, read 103,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyn View Post
Thanks Mary. I just wonder what it will be like without a cast at all. It is pretty uncomfortable to walk around in with the cast, but that may be half the problem. I'm 6'3" and about 215lb with flat feet. It could be that the cast is causing a lot of my foot pain. On the other hand, I have nightmares of my leg snapping without any sort of protection. I guess, I'll just take my crutches. I can't imagine go back to a non-walking cast. I hope everything looks great at your Dr. appointment.

--Matt

--Matt
Hi Matt

As much as I can't wait to be at the stage of being allowed to put weight on (right now I am back to NWB), I know that I will have similar fears as you. Prior to the second surgery, I was in an aircast. But when I first had it, I refused to take it off, even when sleeping. I was afraid of every possible nudge & hit. I also have very small children so their sudden movements worried me as well.

My OS at the time told me that I could take the cast off anytime but it took me about 2 weeks with the cast before allowing my leg to breathe at night (just loosened it but still keep cast on). But very quickly after that, I started being without the cast (mind you I was still NWB at the time) & only swung it on when leaving the house.

I am trying to manange me expectations of what my body will allow me to do once I am given the green light. I am pretty sure that I will be freaked out when I get a true sense of my limitations due to such prolonged immobility...

Anyway good luck again on your appt this week. Mine is tomorrow & I sure hope all looks good

Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 PM

190 posts, read 462,989 times
Hi everyone!!! Well, I komw it has been a long time since I have posted, bu I guess finally being up and around after so long, well it's been real hard to keep me in one place for too long anymore!! LOL Everything has gone extremely well for me I am so pleased to report. I had my final dr. appt yesterday and here is what he had to say. It seems that all the bones that he wanted to fuse have done so, the tibia-fibula are "solidly healed" and all the hardware are in solidly, have not moved and are in place really well. Aside from the fact that I am STILL in tremendous pain, though not 24/7 anymore. But still too much!!!! Anyway I applied for disability, and hired aa lawyer so I guess that could be at least a year. It's been 8 months.Well I hope everyone else is doing well and to all who had beaks and were my fellow "posters" just wanted to say hi and thanks again for all the support you gave me! Special shout out o Christina and marine meatball!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM

45 posts, read 259,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
Hello all,

Just a quick update last night for the first time since my accident I drove the car!! I worked until 8 pm and they when my boyfriend picked me up he made me drive home it was scarry but I did it !!!!!!!! It took me 7 months to get in the driver seat, tomorrow is 7 since my accident. Just a quick little question how long do you think it will be before we all stop counting the weeks/months since our accidents/injuries ???

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM

41 posts, read 95,322 times
i asked a few questions back on page 173 ill take any answers for any one willing to scroll back and read it thank you all so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness