U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM

189 posts, read 649,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen14 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am a member too of broken tib fib and dislocation. I have a question for all, when have you started PT. I am 5 weeks post op/ plates,pin, wire and my PT was very surprised that my doc had me start so soon. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Helen14,

I am surprised that your PT was surprised. The sooner you get started with PT the better to help keep you injured leg strong and keep it from losing as much muscle tone. I started PT at about 6 weeks and wish I had been given some exercises to do sooner. If your PT doesn't seem very knowledgeable or very experienced with this type of injury, you may want a different PT. This person will play a major role in your recovery and you want a great one, no exceptions.....it will make all the difference in the long run!

Goodluck on your road to recovery!

Nanny

Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 AM

189 posts, read 649,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyes View Post
green mine is about 1 million just so you know about tom have more surgery too so it might go up more

Blueeyes,

I have been thinking of you and praying you stay strong for your upcoming surgery! Hoping all goes well........make sure you let us know!

Much Love,
Nanny

Old 08-04-2009, 11:55 AM

76 posts, read 343,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitC View Post
DO you have both legs fractured or is it plates on both sides of one leg. One for the tibia and one for he fibula ? Sorry to hear you are still NWB after 18 weeks. Is there no sign of healing and cloudiness near the broken sites. Maybe you need a bone growth simulator to speed up the fusion. Ask your doctor. This is the time to also increase anything that speeds up bone growth.
Foods to eat to promote the healing of broken bones:

• Fat free milk (skim)
  • Defatted soy flour (at least 1/3 of a cup per day recommended) highest source of Lysine)
  • Calcium fortified orange juice (2 cups per day recommended)
  • Green leafy vegetables, collard greens 355 mg/cal/cup, Bok choy 250 mg/cal/cup, (Vitamin K)
  • Broccoli (200 mg/cal/cup)
  • Sesame seeds
  • Carrots (lightly cooked)
  • Pumpkin (canned or cooked)
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Squash
  • Oatmeal, shredded wheat, other whole grain low-no sugar added cereals
  • At least 97% or greater fat free chicken or turkey breast (I look for at least 99% fat free.) Substitute olive oil or canola oil for other oils, but still use sparingly. Also keep animal protein consumption down, it increases calcium loss.
  • Salmon and other fish, including the skin and fat (Research suggests this fat (EPA fat) has the ability to raise HDLs. 1-5 servings per week recommended)
  • Sardines
  • Tofu with calcium sulfate
  • Fresh fruits (especially apples) good source of boron to aid in calcium absorption
  • Dried fruits (unsweetened) especially apricots, dates, prunes
  • Low fat tomato sauces and pasta
  • Peanuts, walnuts, almonds in moderation
  • Grape juice
  • Grapes, especially red grapes
  • Grapefruit, especially pink
  • Bean and, chickpea dishes and dips (great source of boron to help increase calcium absorption)
  • Tomato salsas
  • Mineral water
  • Apples
  • Yeast
Remember the key to building your bones is not how much calcium you take in, but how much you absorb

Foods to consider avoiding:

• 1%, 2% and whole milk and products
  • Meats with 96% or less fat
  • Red meats (Increases calcium loss)
  • Hydrogenated oils such as stick margarine, and when listed as an ingredient in foods
  • Food with high butter fat and other animal fats
  • Hot dogs, hamburgers
  • Salt (a major bone robber) or foods prepared with salt
  • More than one cup of coffee or other caffeine beverages a day
  • Sugar (a major bone robber)
  • Chocolate (a bone robber due to caffeine content)
  • Soft drinks due to high phosphorus content
  • Alcohol (it inhibits calcium absorption)
  • Carbonated Beverages
  • Caffeine (increases rate of calcium loss through the urine)
  • Smoking
    There must be a reason why your healing is slower. I would ask the doc
    By the way I got this list from another website like this where I also frequent and spend my time.

All the best

I broke tib/fib on right leg. One bracket on outer side of tib/fib (2 total). Last doc appt was June 23 which put me a few days from them being able to order bone stimulator (Cigna req. 90 days). I have now used for 31 days (10 hrs each day) and go back to doc in 2 wks. I do take calcium 1500 mg/day and try to eat right. Honestly, next appt. I'm going to ask PA to show me a healed bone in Xray so I can compare what mine has been doing because I have no clue when looking at xray. Only other thing I can think of that I will tell this PA that I forgot (accident/surgery happened in Vegas and now I have been transferred to CA OS) is that from time of break until I got to Vegas in operating room (about 6-7 hours) -- I don't know how much if any that the bone dried up. I did hear comment "we've got to get this bone put in place before it gets too dry" as bone ripped out of my skin above ankle bone. I read where bones want to start healing right away and maybe the time affected my growth?? Laughlin docs did wrap my bone/leg up in something to try to keep it moist until I could. Apparently this doc wants to see more healing or all the way healed before they allow me to put weight on those little bones, maybe plates are not as strong as the Pin? I don't even know why a OS would choose one over the other?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 PM

76 posts, read 343,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Michele, the one thing to remember is that while we all have similar injuries, no two are exactly the same. There are so many factors that play a role in healing. What did your doctor say about how long it's taking you to heal? How bad was your break?
Well, I have a feeling next appt (20 wks), if growth not good over this 2 month period, he may suggest a bone graft. I have used bone stimulator now for 31 days, 10 hrs each day so we'll see if that helped. Both bones broke and the one that holds my weight, ripped out of my skin above ankle so needless to say, once the bones are healed, I still have to deal with this "dumb" foot that has nerve issues, swelling, purple, numbness, and is not "flat" for walking (heal doesn't touch at this time)

Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

26 posts, read 213,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen14 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am a member too of broken tib fib and dislocation. I have a question for all, when have you started PT. I am 5 weeks post op/ plates,pin, wire and my PT was very surprised that my doc had me start so soon. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Helen 14, I am almost 5 weeks post op (spiral tib fib fracture) and my OS has prescribed 20 visits to a physical therapist at 6 weeks post op. I have been NWB this entire time and will get to finally start bearing weight when I start PT in about a week and a half. I would ask yourself "how do you feel regarding pt?", do you feel ready?

Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM

41 posts, read 95,301 times
surgery in one day yikes so scaredi really hope this is it and i can get back to life i hope its not painful either

Old 08-04-2009, 11:38 PM

5 posts, read 13,793 times
hi Nanny, thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that you started pt early as well. My PT thought 8 weeks was more the norm. He is very willing to work with me. My husband did a similar break many years ago and was casted for 10 weeks until he showed bone growth in his tibia. My x ray couldn't see it yet because of the way my plate is in.
Thanks again for your reply
Helen

Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 AM

139 posts, read 485,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyes View Post
surgery in one day yikes so scaredi really hope this is it and i can get back to life i hope its not painful either
My thoughts and prayers will be with you on your upcoming surgery

Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 AM

Helen I too had early PT. My injury was 1/14/09 and my first PT session was 2/9/09. Therapy even non wt bearing is so important. If I had not had the good PT sessions I would not be where I am at today. My motto was no pain no gain at first it was very painful sometimes even now my gym therapy is painful but take one day at a time donot look ahead just look to getting thru this day then another day and soon time will pass. Good luck on your PT.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
Well, I have a feeling next appt (20 wks), if growth not good over this 2 month period, he may suggest a bone graft. I have used bone stimulator now for 31 days, 10 hrs each day so we'll see if that helped. Both bones broke and the one that holds my weight, ripped out of my skin above ankle so needless to say, once the bones are healed, I still have to deal with this "dumb" foot that has nerve issues, swelling, purple, numbness, and is not "flat" for walking (heal doesn't touch at this time)
Michelle hang in there I know it becomes frustrating at times I still have what you describe 29 weeks and I have had no complications so nerve issues,swelling,numbness I have been told are apparently issues that are dealt with for 12-18 months from injury. So just take one day at a time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness