U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:00 AM

1,869 posts, read 3,976,929 times
Default get well soon

Wow sorry to hear that. You get well soon. Yes i'm staying positive like always, we have to.

I have been exercising alot, stretching and doing what i can do. Next week i see my doctor and more x-rays.

Thanks- Feel better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenai View Post
Hey there Positiveone,

I was hit by a car on April 11th, spent 2 weeks in hospital and I've been living in a rehab hospital ever since. Both my tibias were shattered - one externally and the other internally. I've got plenty of hardware in both legs (internal fixations) and unfortunately, my left leg is rejecting the titanium plates and screws (which is quite rare). So I am awaiting for more surgery to have them removed and possibly have new ones put in - hopefully my bones will be strong enough by then that I won't need to have new ones put in - keep your fingers crossed. By the way, I was standing on the sidewalk when someone was speeding, lost control of their car, and well, you know the rest. These types of fractures/breaks of the tibias or fibulas, alone or together, are VERY common with pedestrians hit by cars and I'm surprised that there aren't more people on this website posting their experiences! The rehab hospital that I'm currently in is full of car accident victims. The good news is that with physio 5 days a week, I've just started walking (with the use of a tall walker) last Thursday. Its painful as hell but at least I'm standing again! Percocets have been keeping the pain at bay and I am sleeping with my legs elevated (straight) to keep the swelling down. Actually, whenever I have the opportunity, I keep my legs elevated since gravity does its thing and the swelling starts up as soon as I get out of bed!

Positiveone, everyone heals differently (I've learned that I'm a slow healer) but keep in mind that the more exercise that you do to strengthen your lower body, the better the odds for you; not only will you build muscle, you increase the blood flow to your injured leg which helps speed up the healing process. Its been quite the journey, but as your name suggests, I hope you stay positive and I wish you - and everyone else- a full, speedy recovery.

PS. at least you have one good leg to stand on - don't ignore it but don't abuse it either

Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 28,042 times
Default Tibia and Fibia

Dear Positiveone,

I have same story, almost same dates of injury & surgery
with 2 plates (tibia and fibia with 16 screws).

My operation was on July 13 and now after 6 weeks, am
still on crutches with swollen ankle and some pain. Ankle
feels stiff, but can move up and down.

After one month and x-ray, Doc said to put 40 % weight on
the one leg. This is hard to do, but seems one can only
stand and not walk.

Am scheduled back 9 weeks after OP for last x-ray.
Let's see.

Regards, Inthegame

Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Tib/Fib

Wow how did you break yours? Thats funny- same date as me for surgery. Do you have the rod in your tibia? Swelling is also an issue for me, and i have been following doctors orders.

Did the doctor give you any idea when you can walk again?

Get well soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthegame View Post
Dear Positiveone,

I have same story, almost same dates of injury & surgery
with 2 plates (tibia and fibia with 16 screws).

My operation was on July 13 and now after 6 weeks, am
still on crutches with swollen ankle and some pain. Ankle
feels stiff, but can move up and down.

After one month and x-ray, Doc said to put 40 % weight on
the one leg. This is hard to do, but seems one can only
stand and not walk.

Am scheduled back 9 weeks after OP for last x-ray.
Let's see.

Regards, Inthegame

Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM

160 posts, read 342,416 times
Default Me 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
Hey Positiveone I was just passing through looking for something else and stumbled upon you all. I had a freak slip and fall accident on May 5, 2001. I broke the fibula and the tibia at the base of the bone. I had surgery the following morning on May 6th. I have a plate fixated on the fibula with five screws and one longer screw at the tibia. I wore the hard cast for about a month. Then I went to the removable for the next 2 and half months while going to physical therapy.

I can tell you that I slept with my leg elevated for at least two months. During the first month when I had to get up and go to the bathroom or something I thought I might the die....ohhhh the pain. Sometimes I would just hold it rather than get up and try to make it to the bathroom. I attended physical therapy three times a week during the 2 and half month period. She had me picking up marbles with my toes and using rubber bands and towels to flex my ankle so that I could get a better range of motion.(still don't have full range of motion) I also used this board that had some type of roller ball on the bottom that I would bend forward and backward. All seemed liked medieval torture at first but it got better along the way. I finally got to stop wearing the removable at about three and half months but I would say that I had a limp for about a month after that.

Over six years later, I still have stiffness every single morning of my life. When I play tennis or do anything that may require quick movements or side to side movements I have to wear an ankle brace. Oddly enough my younger brother broke his ankle in the same place and on the same leg as I did playing football some years back but he doesn't experience the stiffness and pain like I do. I was much older though so a young body probably heals better.

Thank goodness for ibuprofen!

C.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 AM

4 posts, read 63,239 times
Post Broken leg (open compound fracture)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
Hello,
my name is alison and im 19 years old. a few months ago on the 1st June i had a fatal accident, i fell off my horse and he stepped on my right leg breaking my tibia and fibula causing a Open Compoud Fracture. My foot was only hanging on the the remaining skin stil hanging on. I was rushed to hospital after waiting half an hour for the ambulance to arrive. I had 3 operations the first to fix the bones back together with metal rods through my skin, second the 2 plates and 15 screws and the third a skin graft from my hip to my leg. The doc's said i almost lost my leg, but was able to keep it because i could still move my toes wen my foot was hanging off.

I was in hospital for 2weeks and then on crutches for 3months before i could put pressure on my leg.. i am now able to walk but only with crutches, i have 4 weeks b4 i can walk without my crutches and get back on my horse.

Depending on how old you are the bone takes longer to heal, it also depends on the nutrion that your body takes. To speed up the healing process good eating and rest will help the bone to heal properly. dont over do youself remeber to elevate ur leg and if it swells up put ice on it!. Also do everything the physio tell you becoz if u dont do ur exercises the percent of ur movement in ur foot and leg will decrease. good luck!@!@!@ it is very painful
you may have a lil while b4 u can walk again
12-16weeks

lil legs

Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 27,945 times
Red face Broken Fibulas and Tworn Ligaments

I broke my fibula on July 20, 07. I waited 3 days to go to the ER because I thought it was sprained. I rolled my ankle from a very high wedged heel. Anyway I had never broken a bone, so what a shock! I lived off Pericot for a week until I went and found out that I twore ligaments and had to have surgery the next day! Anyway its been 6 wks and I cant stand this cast, its driving me nuts, even though its only been 3 wks with the hard cast on.
But I am going to the DOC's tommorow and suppose to be getting it off, and getting an air cast with a cane! Anything but these crutches!!
I just wanted to say to all of you that has been thru anything like this, I feel your pain and its nice to know you feel mine!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Default ouch!!

Ouch, I feel for you! Take it slow, eat well and think positive. My surgery was back on July 13th and i still cant walk, most of my pain is in the ankle & foot, if my leg isnt elevated in minutes it turns dark red and swells a little. But i get alot of pain when i touch the foot to the ground. I see my doctor next week, hopefully then he gives me a better idea of when i could walk again without these crutches.

Everybody get well soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_legs View Post
Hello,
my name is alison and im 19 years old. a few months ago on the 1st June i had a fatal accident, i fell off my horse and he stepped on my right leg breaking my tibia and fibula causing a Open Compoud Fracture. My foot was only hanging on the the remaining skin stil hanging on. I was rushed to hospital after waiting half an hour for the ambulance to arrive. I had 3 operations the first to fix the bones back together with metal rods through my skin, second the 2 plates and 15 screws and the third a skin graft from my hip to my leg. The doc's said i almost lost my leg, but was able to keep it because i could still move my toes wen my foot was hanging off.

I was in hospital for 2weeks and then on crutches for 3months before i could put pressure on my leg.. i am now able to walk but only with crutches, i have 4 weeks b4 i can walk without my crutches and get back on my horse.

Depending on how old you are the bone takes longer to heal, it also depends on the nutrion that your body takes. To speed up the healing process good eating and rest will help the bone to heal properly. dont over do youself remeber to elevate ur leg and if it swells up put ice on it!. Also do everything the physio tell you becoz if u dont do ur exercises the percent of ur movement in ur foot and leg will decrease. good luck!@!@!@ it is very painful
you may have a lil while b4 u can walk again
12-16weeks

lil legs

Old 09-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Foot pain?

Has anybody here had bad foot pains after going back to walking? Like has someone broke their leg, not walked on it until it healed then when you went back to walking have horrible pains all over the foot?

Last week i got the OK to start light walking again but the pain is bad, real bad. I havent walked on it for 2 months, the broken leg feels better, the foot pain isnt fun.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 60,446 times
Default Fractured Tibia and Fibula

I fractured my tibia and fibula on August 27'07. Mine was from a slide and a quick stop. I guess that is a stress fracture. Anyway to make things worse, not two days later, I fell on crutches going into the hospital for pre-op for a rod in my tibia, and fractured the ball in my shoulder. Needless to say, I then got a wheelchair to get around inside and outside of the house. The doctor said that would heal by itself, as would the fibula. Within that week I had surgery to put a titanium rod with screws in my tibia. A night in the hospital, some medication, and I was home the following morning. I haven't taken the vicoden since I left the hospital. The doctor did not cast my leg, but I was in a splint for a week. The week after surgery, I got an air-boot, which is not really comfortable. The following week he took the 15 staples out, sent me home with a wrap (ace-bandage), and I was still to wear the boot, but he said I could put weight on my leg as the tibia is the weight bearer and it is titanium. I keep the boot only for when I go out of the house. The worst part of all this is the lack of sleep, but that was mainly from my shoulder. I do have some swelling in my ankle and foot, but I try to put it up higher when I sleep or am just sitting around. This is now into the 4th week since I broke my leg, and am doing much better. You all have more history than I do with all of this, and I hope that you will find peace and healing. I do worry about the swelling, but maybe time will help...and an ice pack. Thank you for letting me vent.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 63,239 times
Talking Broken leg

hello,
Just giving an update i am now 117days 17weeks after breaking my leg i have been to physio and have rebuilt my leg, and yes i did have ****loads of foot pain when walking, but it has slowly faded as my muscles have grown back and my foot has gotten use to it. Also ur foot does go black and purple wen it goes down as there not pressure in ur fot to push up the fluid so yer gotta be walking to it doesnt go funny coloured

I have been told i am now strong enough to run and ride my horse but i have to wait 3 days until i see my doc soo he can tell me if my bone has moulded well enough shuld be!@!@!. To everyone still healing dont forget to do what everyone tells you on hoiw to help ur leg if they tell u do 10 foot exercises u do 20 do 110% and your foot should return back to its normal self! good luck everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness