U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 23,635 times

Advertisements

hi nel,
how r u? its been a while since my last thread. I went to my os last friday the 25th april, had xray of my tib and fib. xray showed a bit of healing but can still see that fracture line on both bones. doc say everything is going well the bone not fully healed yet but its stable. doc say I can fully weight bear and walk without any aid as comfortable as I can bear it. I was so amazed that even with little healing they let you fully weight bear.I guess they know whats best and he say that weight bear will help in bone formation.So i just followed the instruction im now fully weight bear and walking slowly and if I go out I just use a cane. not that confident yet, i guess it will come back slowly. Its only been 11 weeks since accident and im pleased with my recovery. I hope everything will go smoothly. os will see me again in june and will see the progrees of healing. do you think by that time they will see much bone growth? what can you say about weight bearing?

Thanks for your insights
sgreaves

Old 05-03-2008, 09:17 AM

117 posts, read 523,437 times
Default sgreaves

[quote=sgreaves;3643923]hi nel,
how r u? its been a while since my last thread. I went to my os last friday the 25th april, had xray of my tib and fib. xray showed a bit of healing but can still see that fracture line on both bones. doc say everything is going well the bone not fully healed yet but its stable. doc say I can fully weight bear and walk without any aid as comfortable as I can bear it. I was so amazed that even with little healing they let you fully weight bear.I guess they know whats best and he say that weight bear will help in bone formation.So i just followed the instruction im now fully weight bear and walking slowly and if I go out I just use a cane. not that confident yet, i guess it will come back slowly. Its only been 11 weeks since accident and im pleased with my recovery. I hope everything will go smoothly. os will see me again in june and will see the progrees of healing. do you think by that time they will see much bone growth? what can you say about weight bearing?

Thanks for your insights

Do as much as weight bearing as you can, it'll fuse the bones together faster. Your confidence will get better and better, yes listen to you OS.. I sounds like your recovery is going really will, thats very nice to hear. Has it been close to 3 month now? My recovery took alot longer then yours..
Every month when I had my x-ray and saw no bone growth, I started getting really depressed, yours sounds really good. keep up with your weight bearing..
When you see your next x-ray, don't get too discourge if you don't see much improvement, everyones healing time is different..
Its been 15 month since my accident, my leg has been feeling pretty good, but yesterday it really started to hurt where the hardware is, it was the humid weather, it felt like someone kicked my shin...
I am hoping end of this month to have my x-ray to see if my fib has healed yet, have my fingers crossed..
keep in touch, chin up..

Nel

Old 05-03-2008, 09:26 AM

117 posts, read 523,437 times
Default 58Panhead

How is your recovery?
Hope all is will, thank you for directing new people to my brokenleg.com. Keep it up, summer is here I am enjoying myself to the fullest, last year was a right off cuz of my leg...
keep in touch.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM

17 posts, read 66,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreaves View Post
hi nel,

Thanks for your insights
sgreaves
Hello:

Just read your thread. I do broke my tibia and fibula in ankle. I am 4 months now. Go to the doctor in two weeks. I am partial weight bearing. I can drive and have a sit down job. I work about 32 hours a week. I have six screws, a rod and a plate. I am hoping my screws come out as they bother me alot. I fell in my kitchen. I am 57 years old. I am taking it easy. Just work and home. I am very frustrated also. I hope I have some bone healing . This is the worst fracture anyone could have.....

Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Just saw my ortho doctor today for a bit. I am having alot of anxiety. He gave me Xanax. Said if my bone is healing in two weeks I will have my screws out and my plate in my ankle. This will be six months postop. I have been very depressed. No pain or swelling when I walk. I can actually cross my ankles. Finally to accept what has happened to me. I still do hydrotherapy and walk when I can. Try to calf raises also and drink plenty of water and calcium, leafy vegetables and vitamin D.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Sounds like you did a number on your anckle, sorry to hear, wow 6 screws, that's gotta hurt when you try and walk or even move it.. Can't believe just 2 month in a cast! Do you have a walking boot?
As long as your OS told you to start putting weight on it than it's okay, it'll hurt but its got to be done. Bone healing takes time, depending on your age, my tib took 6 month to heal, it sounds like your doing well being able to put alittle bit of weight on your anckle..
I have read about some people who have had there screws removed from there anckle and felt better, so in about 4 weeks when you see your OS, if the pain is still the same, no improvement than you'll know weither to remove them or not.... Good luck! chin up, positive healing thoughts...
HELLO:

Went to the ortho today. Bone is healing. Will go back again in two weeks and is bone is healing. willl take out screws and plate. Hopefully some therapy. I have whirlpool therapy at home. I do that every day. I am very depressed though. I am walking but partial weight bearing. I want to be where I was. I am 57 years old. Cant wait to remove these screws. They are horrible. I take Ambien for sleep as I have nightmares. Scars are not that bad but they are there. When they take the screws out they only make an incision on the top and they take them out. About and hour and half in surgery. So far I have not had any swelling. Hope I recover soon as I was an active person. Hope you answer back. Thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Forget to say. I am 57 years old.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Hi Eshon! I had a head on collision in 1992, and broke just about everything!
(also managing to die twice on the operating table)! I had a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula, which was fixed by inserting the plates and 10 screws. As a petite woman, 5'3", 100lbs, I had a problem...the plates were too large for me, seriously! (my DR said this to me after the fact)! Long story short...I had the plate and screws removed 6 years later and what a difference!!! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is having pain and are fully healed, obviously. I also had a pin and screws in my femur (sp?)
that were removed 3 after years...the pin had been rubbing into my hip bone, and was causing scar tissue I guess...hope this helped, Good luck to your daughter!!!

How old are you?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM

12 posts, read 48,604 times
Default hopefully the last one

Well last wednesday I hopefully got my last skin graft. It does look pretty good it was on the bottom side of my knee and didnt heal good the first time so had to put another one on. So lets see that makes 4 experimental muscle grafts (plastic surgeon said they have never been used before) and 5 skin grafts. Its been 7 months since the put the bones back in the skin and am probably 60% weight bearing and really feel like i could go all the way. I think it mostley to be a confidence thing. I know everyone says do what the OS says but i dont firmly believe that due to prior expierence with them. But I have managed to listen to him to this point. I dont have insurance ( was two weeks from it kickin in on my new job) that sucks and I dont think I was getting the same attention. I have no pain from my 2 plates and 30 + screws. Last night at my local watering hole this guy said he wished he had some crutches to help him walk! I told that boy to watch what he wishes for cause he sure dont want this.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,976 times
on April 7th 2008 i was playing basketball at my college gym and i broke my fibula. They also said that the space in between my ankle where the joints are was too wide and they needed to fix that. I had to get open reduction internal fixation which i now have 8 screws with a plate on my fibula and one big screw going through the bottom of my tibia and fibula to tighten the space. I am now in my cast and am going back to the hospital on Thursday to check up and get a new cast im guessing. I hope all goes well and that im on the right track for recovery and that i will be walking very soon. Thanks to all the people posting, i have been reading them and they are helping me a lot and keeping me positive. I see that NEL is a very great help and responds frequently and gives positive vibes. I heard that the fibula isnt too important so i should be fine and it would be 6-8 weeks in a cast im hoping more towards 6!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness