U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2008, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 43,965 times

Advertisements

Atkinson,
Sounds like you have a similar fracture to me. I done mine on the 24th Feb. 2 plates and 8 pins. they left the fibular to heal on it's own. I remember the pain from the blood rush. Once you start to see the bruising go down (4-6 weeks) that whole blood rush throbbing feeling should start to go away. I know it seems like a long way off but it will come around sooner than you think. I was 16 weeks before I could put full weight on my leg. But once you get to that point recovery really starts to move fast. I was on one crutch for 3 days then I was walking. It's aches but not really any pain.

16 weeks sounds like a long time but when the throbbing goes away and you can get up and about the time flies. In the end the crutches didn;t bother me. So in my eyes once the swelling goes down your home and dry. I started to drive with my left foot then and pretty much got on with life just waiting for time to pass until i could put full weight on it. Stick in there and when you see your brusing go know that you are at a point where it will all start to becoming managable.

good luck.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 AM

16 posts, read 83,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
I also broke my right leg out skating with my daughter last year in Jan.2007
I grew up in the Arctic, Iqaluit, Nunavut.
Skating was everything to me growning up, after the accident last year never again.
When the weather changes my leg swells abit and it starts to ache.
I don't think I'll have my hardware removed anytime soon.
Crazy thing is my fibula still hasn't healed yet!!!!
It doesn't bother me at all! The only thing that bothers me is the hardware.. I know its crazy...
Lucky you, wish I could wear high heels. Poor me just have to ware ugly and comfy shoes. My job reqiurs standing.

Nel
I wish I could wear high heels again too!! You just don't feel as girlie wearing the flat comfy shoes everyday. Hopefully we can again one day!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:31 AM

37 posts, read 209,700 times
Hi everyone,

It's been two months and one week. Just wanted to say how great it felt just to be able to bend my knee. Am still in a cast (spiral, slightly displaced), walking on the fractured leg to stimulate bone growth. No pain. Only slight ache if I overdo. Stood with equal weight on both legs, still no pain. But whether the bone is growing, I have NO idea...

To all the people out there still not able to put weight on the fractured leg, it's a matter of time. Keep positive!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardaire View Post
hi there srry to hear you have near same as me , my tib was broke 2/3 down and fib near top.
am walkin loads and takin calcium and arnica at moment.
4 weks today till we go away so hoping will have cast changed b4 then ,next appointment is 18 this month so will let you know how it goes.

hope you all heal good and quick.

Hi there! How are you?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 61,168 times
Default There's hope folks - hang in there

Summary: 42 year old male, broke (shattered) my right tib and fib on April 9th in a dirt bike accident. Had a plate and 16 screws, plus a cast for the repair.

1st 2 weeks: Pain and misery beyond belief!

Week 3 & 4: Less pain, but still a lot of discomfort; however it was more tolerable.

Week 5: I cut off my own cast because of the discomfort and agony. Doctor didn't say a word! X-rays show very little healing. Doctors nurse told me not to put weight on my leg for another 3 weeks.

Week 6: I don't listen to the nurse and start using a cane and putting weight on my leg. I also started riding my street bike again.

Week 7: I stopped using my cane but was walking with a limp.

Week 8: X-rays show healing. Signed off by doctor June 3rd for return to full duty. I'm not running, skipping, or jumping, but I'm getting around pretty darn good. Best wishes everyone.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,171 times
Default Tibula Fibula

Chris_UK
Thanks for your encouraging comments. Been to hospital and they have said I have no plates in but about 6 screws new cast on and a re alignment which really hurt, this has to be on for 6 weeks. They have now said I will have to have an operation to remove the screws when I am fully recovered anyone know how long this will take ?
Will have to keep my spirits and keep going
Thanks
John Atkinson

Old 06-20-2008, 07:54 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
I broke these two bones in a minibike accident in 1968 when I was about 12 years old. Mine was a compound fracture (bones sticking out). The area is still very tender to the touch (the fracture was about 6" above the ankle and I still cannot wear boots that hit that area). When it is going to rain, my leg still hurts.

I fractured my collar bone in second grade and it still hurts frequently. To the point that I sometimes cannot lift my arm on that side.

Honestly, I don't think that you ever fully recover 100 percent. I can't imagine how these rodeo guys and pro sports guys do it. They must be in pain all the time.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-25-2008, 01:02 AM

Default Is the bone growing?

After 9 weeks, I am walking on the fractured leg (casted) without pain, with the help of crutches. Well, occasionally, slight pain. I can stand, putting equal weight on both legs, without pain too.

Can anyone tell me: does this mean the bone is growing well? Or this doesn't reflect whether the bone is growing at all? Thanks!

Last edited by Vyzie; 06-25-2008 at 02:07 AM..

Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,838 times
Default broken ankle

hi everyone,
I stumbled across this site today and I wish I'd found it weeks ago. you're all so supportive - it's amazing and I have really enjoyed reading all your stories. I've felt so alone. I have to say it's so reassuring to know that other people feel exactly the same way as I do, I think it's alright to be scared now.

just over 5 weeks ago I was carrying my niece down the stairs, we were laughing so much and having such a great time and I thought I was at the bottom. unfortunately I was on the last stair, so took a bad tumble. I heard two cracks and was convinced I had broke both ankles. luckily for me my niece was completely unhurt and I had only broken my left ankle - but at both sides. it must have been the nicest way in the world to hurt myself!!
I had an operation a few days later and now have one plate, 5 pins and 2 screws. I love how you guys call it hardware! I was calling it a bionic ankle, but having hardware is so much cooler. so I had a cast on for 2 weeks before they took it off to take out the staples, then I got another cast on. I have struggled so much with crutches, don't you think it looks a lot easier than it actually is? the palms of my hands ache even on short distances. my foot still swells badly when I put it down so most of my time is spent with it elevated. it's so frustrating. and been totally isolated. all the things I used to take for granted are so out of reach. I am lucky enough to have a fantastic partner who does practically everything for me because I can't do much for myself. the dr said the second cast would have to stay on for 4 weeks but seemed to think I'd be able to walk right away as soon as it comes off (which is next week). I am completely terrified. I can't even look at ankles anymore without feeling sick. and I now have to make everyone I come across realise the dangers of falling down one stair - please be careful!

many of you have had such a battle with walking again and I think you are all so brave. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to tell your stories as you've made me feel so much better x

Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 PM

16 posts, read 83,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyzie View Post
After 9 weeks, I am walking on the fractured leg (casted) without pain, with the help of crutches. Well, occasionally, slight pain. I can stand, putting equal weight on both legs, without pain too.

Can anyone tell me: does this mean the bone is growing well? Or this doesn't reflect whether the bone is growing at all? Thanks!
Hi Vyzie,
How good are you feeling being able to weight bear!!!
When I started weight bearing in the cast I had no pain either and was convinced each time I had xrays that there was bone growth but no luck. I only had signs of growth once the cast was removed and weight bearing on a leg that had been in a cast for 5 months was rather painful. From my experience the lack of pain was not a sign of bone growth but I am one of the unluckier ones as it still hasn't completely healed after 15 months because the tibia is not aligned.
Happy healing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness