U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 AM

37 posts, read 208,141 times

Advertisements

Cannon, wishing you speedy recovery. Donna Jane, wow! You're a great role model! Also, thanks for the advice about choosing the right doctor.

My doctor wants me to go for a bone graft op and have the tibia rebroken if the tibia doesn't fully unite. It does help to know that other people are going through the same thing. So, thank you very much for keeping positive and sharing your experiences and thoughts! Thanks to everyone who's posted for keeping my spirits up too!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,646 times
Hello, I am looking for info myself and I stumbled upon this forum. I had been hit by a car on 06/02/07. That accident had nearly severed my left leg about 5 inches above the ankle. It was so bad they almost called flight for life. Any way, they had put my leg back together with a titanium rod running inside the bone marrow from my knee to my ankle. I snapped the screws 2 1/2 months post op and in April of 08 had to have the hardware replaced, rod and all, the surgeon put a much larger more cumbersome rod into my bone. It has been 1 year 1 month and 16 days since the accident and I am still no were near %100. The area is still tender and bruised with constant swelling. I have an almost molting going on because the top layer of skin keeps dying off. It's still red and still hurts. Now the bone inside has healed but I fear that because of the severety of the wound that this affected area will never be normal. Not to discourage anyone my situation may or may not have been different, I am just wondering if anyone has had or knows anyone whos had a similar situation and if so how long did it take to recover completely if at all?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:38 PM

9 posts, read 84,279 times
Greetings, I was riding my Dirt bike July 4th got a little out of control and made a jab for the ground with my right foot at that point it felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat just below the knee. I stopped looked down and my foot was pointed straight out at a 90 angle from the bike.

As it turned out I had busted the tibia just above the ankle and the fibula just below the knee, I had a spiral fracture of the tibia. That night I was operated on and a rod was installed with five screws three in the ankle and two just below the knee. I have a large boot with Velcro straps that I have to wear most of the time.

It will three weeks this coming Friday and today Wednesday was the first day that I was able to get up and move around much without a lot of pain. The Doc said it would be six weeks before I should try and put weight on my foot.

I am keeping a positive attitude and taking a lot of vitamins and minerals, I am not a smoker and I have not been drinking coffee or alcohol.

I still want to ride dirt bikes or dual sport bikes so I am thinking about having the hardware removed after I heal up.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how long I should wait before removing the rod? I am also going to ask the PA what he thinks this Friday when I meet with him, the Doc is on Vacation.

Tim

Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 AM

Default Bone graft/hardware/tibia non-union

My tibia has joined up only partially - after three months. I have to decide whether to wait or to go for surgery. Have been told it may not unite as my fibula is intact. I have been asked to put weight on it for three weeks, not more than 50% or stop if it hurts. I have no pain walking on it when using crutches, just feel a bit stiff.

Anyone know how long before u can go back to work after having a bone graft and hardware surgery? They'd have to re-break part of the bone that has joined probably. Been told 6-8 weeks for recovery but does that mean you can go back to work or you still have to go for rehab for a few weeks on top of the 6-8 weeks?

And does the hardware cause pain permanently or it is different strokes for different folks? I would have to have one from ankle to knee . The break is two inches above the ankle Feeling depressed and scared abt the whole thing.

Has anyone had the tibia bone joining up later than 3 months?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 AM

34 posts, read 219,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyzie View Post
My tibia has joined up only partially - after three months. I have to decide whether to wait or to go for surgery. Have been told it may not unite as my fibula is intact. I have been asked to put weight on it for three weeks, not more than 50% or stop if it hurts. I have no pain walking on it when using crutches, just feel a bit stiff.

Anyone know how long before u can go back to work after having a bone graft and hardware surgery? They'd have to re-break part of the bone that has joined probably. Been told 6-8 weeks for recovery but does that mean you can go back to work or you still have to go for rehab for a few weeks on top of the 6-8 weeks?

And does the hardware cause pain permanently or it is different strokes for different folks? I would have to have one from ankle to knee . The break is two inches above the ankle Feeling depressed and scared abt the whole thing.

Has anyone had the tibia bone joining up later than 3 months?

Thanks in advance!

My break was just above the ankle, and I had bone graft surgery. I have been NWB for 17 weeks since my last surgery. I went back to work after 4 weeks, but only part time. It all depends on your job you do and if your company will take it easy with you. I don't have an office job so I'm on my feet most of the time. Crutching around for 6 hours a day is very hard to do day after day, but you do what you have to do. I don't know how long it takes to heal the tibia but that too is different in each person. From what I've read the average time for a union of the tibia is about 4 to 5 months. Like I said, that's just what I've read. I hope you heal fast, I know it is difficult but try to hang in there. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Take care.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 84,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller View Post
I'm kind of wondering about this hardware thing myself; whether or not to have it removed?

I had a rod installed in my right femur 3 years ago. And lately, April 10th, had a plate and 16 screws put into my right tibia.

Both doctors told me, "Unless it gives you any problems, it's best just to leave them in."

However, I'm a very active person, that is, until my most recent accident. Now I'm just a couch potato who is tired of having his brain cooked by the endless hours of TV.

I've read that active people should consider having the hardware removed, because of the risk of worse damage occurring in the instance of having (God forbid) another accident, ie, breaking the hardware?

I don't know about you, but just thinking about that (having a duplicate accident on the same limb) makes me cringe. Well...it did happen to me, but this time it was my tib/fib, not my femur. Can you say...Evel Knievel.
So Mike,

How are you doing? I hope you are healing well. Are you planning on riding your dirt bike again? I just had a rod installed in my right tibia also. I was riding my dirt bike and all I did was make a jab at the ground and busted my leg. I already have a plate in my right arm with seven screws from a motorcycle accident in 1984 and my right ankle was broken in 1987 after yet another motorcycle accident (both high speed road bikes) I gave up riding on the road. Now this, at this point I am starting to have second thoughts about riding again.

I go in for my three week check-up tomorrow I am going to ask what is best leave the rod in or take it out. Because I would like to still ride, but it scares me to think about braking my leg again.

At least when I broke my leg an ambulance could get to me. Some of the places I ride there is no cell coverage and there would be no way a four wheel drive could get there. A person would have to packed out along the trail until the helicopter could get there.

Tim

Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM

Default Bone graft/hardware surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON 81 View Post
My break was just above the ankle, and I had bone graft surgery. I have been NWB for 17 weeks since my last surgery. I went back to work after 4 weeks, but only part time. It all depends on your job you do and if your company will take it easy with you. I don't have an office job so I'm on my feet most of the time. Crutching around for 6 hours a day is very hard to do day after day, but you do what you have to do. I don't know how long it takes to heal the tibia but that too is different in each person. From what I've read the average time for a union of the tibia is about 4 to 5 months. Like I said, that's just what I've read. I hope you heal fast, I know it is difficult but try to hang in there. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Take care.
That's tough to be NWB for 17 weeks. But if you have hardware in other than the bone graft, I thought you'd be allowed to? Or do they only let you bear weight if the bone unites? The impression I got from doctors was I'd be allowed to bear weight, go back to work while using crutches after just 6-8 weeks after having a bone graft and hardware in.

Does your hip feel okay now after that bone graft? I forgot that you had two bone grafts. I wish the scientists would come up with some new treatment already! I read about injecting paste instead of a bone graft but it's not been approved yet.

I was told 4-6 months for recovery but now the doctors ( I saw 2) seem sceptical that it will unite after just 3 months. At this moment I have two options: go for surgery in mid August or wait another two months before I decide.

Going part-time when I initially go back to work is a gd idea. Luckily my office can arrange for me to stay in one place. But going on no-pay leave for now (my hospitalisation leave ran out) is no joke.

Thanks for answering my queries. It really helps. I hope you won't have to wait much longer for your recovery !! This too shall pass!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyzie View Post
That's tough to be NWB for 17 weeks. But if you have hardware in other than the bone graft, I thought you'd be allowed to? Or do they only let you bear weight if the bone unites? The impression I got from doctors was I'd be allowed to bear weight, go back to work while using crutches after just 6-8 weeks after having a bone graft and hardware in.

Does your hip feel okay now after that bone graft? I forgot that you had two bone grafts. I wish the scientists would come up with some new treatment already! I read about injecting paste instead of a bone graft but it's not been approved yet.

I was told 4-6 months for recovery but now the doctors ( I saw 2) seem sceptical that it will unite after just 3 months. At this moment I have two options: go for surgery in mid August or wait another two months before I decide.

Going part-time when I initially go back to work is a gd idea. Luckily my office can arrange for me to stay in one place. But going on no-pay leave for now (my hospitalisation leave ran out) is no joke.

Thanks for answering my queries. It really helps. I hope you won't have to wait much longer for your recovery !! This too shall pass!

Hi Vyzie, thanks for your reply. I don't have any pain in my hip at all. The pain lasted about 2 to 3 weeks. The most discomfort was the first week and after that it went away fast. I think each doctor has his or her own time frame of when we walk or not. I hope you the best and I'll keep you in my prayers. Take care.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 10,594 times
Cool Broken tibia/fibula

I broke my right fibula and tibia as well as some metatarsals in a car wreck- hit head on by a drunk driver with my kids in the car. I have been in an external fixator since the wreck, June 6, because the skin was too damaged to operate. I'm having surgery Monday, July 28, to have titanium plates inserted as well as screws. I already have a titanium rod in the left leg from the same accident, as I had a compound fracture of the left femur and lost 2 inches of it they are hoping will grow back. I also shattered my left elbow and have screws in it. So far, the right shattered ankle only hurts where the pins attach the fixator to the bone, and that has just started hurting. The left leg that has the rod feels like it weighs a ton, and hurts to bend the knee. After finally being able to start rehab, I can start to lift the leg a few inches off the bed.

As for the right ankle, the doctors said I will have to avoid putting any weight on it at all for three months, which is going to make rehabbing the left leg very tricky, particularly since I am attempting to rehab the left arm, which is really difficult and painful.

I really wanted to thank all of those who have explained the recovery process of the ankle surgery, so I will know what to expect in the coming months.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleansGirl View Post
I broke my right fibula and tibia as well as some metatarsals in a car wreck- hit head on by a drunk driver with my kids in the car. I have been in an external fixator since the wreck, June 6, because the skin was too damaged to operate. I'm having surgery Monday, July 28, to have titanium plates inserted as well as screws. I already have a titanium rod in the left leg from the same accident, as I had a compound fracture of the left femur and lost 2 inches of it they are hoping will grow back. I also shattered my left elbow and have screws in it. So far, the right shattered ankle only hurts where the pins attach the fixator to the bone, and that has just started hurting. The left leg that has the rod feels like it weighs a ton, and hurts to bend the knee. After finally being able to start rehab, I can start to lift the leg a few inches off the bed.

As for the right ankle, the doctors said I will have to avoid putting any weight on it at all for three months, which is going to make rehabbing the left leg very tricky, particularly since I am attempting to rehab the left arm, which is really difficult and painful.

I really wanted to thank all of those who have explained the recovery process of the ankle surgery, so I will know what to expect in the coming months.

I am soooo very sorry that you have to go through this! I have only one broken leg, but that's nothing compared to you. I hope you heal real fast and I will put you in my prayers. Take care and hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.