Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 15,997 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was in a car accident and suffered the above injury. I also suffered a broken clavicle which has made recovery hard, but im not so concerned with that as it should heal itself ok. I was wondering if any other people who had both broken lower leg and femur with titanium IM rod in both parts could share their recovery experience. Does having both upper and lower leg create further complications (as most people either have broken femur or lower leg bones, less common to have both sets of bones broken).
Its been about 2 months since the accident and no bone healing yet. I am unable to FWB yet. I know everyone heals differntly. I am mid 20s non smoker. Would like to hear from other people with same injury and what their recovery was at 3mths 6mths 12ths and even longer term.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 AM

37 posts, read 306,354 times
Default Negative ion machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrider View Post
Hi Vyzie, Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with the healing process.

What is a native ion machine? I have looked around a little on the web but all I could find was the air purifier type.

I am using a MicroStimula Mk II from Technical Applications Inc. Neuropathy Treatment | Alternative Medicine Treatment - Technical AP They claim very good results for all sorts of things. I figured it can't hurt although the machine was expensive.

Tim
Hi Tim,
The negative ions machine is called Serumi MI Energy (Japanese). They are waiting for FDA approval. They have used it successfully for some cancer patients. I was told someone who complained of pain from hardware surgery was walking without pain after using it for three days.
I think it works with the same principle as the machine as you are using. Electrical stimulation. If you read up on scientist Robert Becker, he had some success with fractures using silver ions. I'm not sure if this one uses silver.

I am also using a germanium-titanium-magnetic bracelet on my ankle. The swelling has gone down and the blue-black bruising has lessened too.

How is the machine that you are using? Any good news? Thanks for the link! I will check it out.

Next week, I will be going for an x-ray. If no good results, I may just postpone hardware/bone graft surgery to next year because I just can't afford to go on no-pay leave and have exhausted my hospitalisation leave this year. If so, 'll just have to find a way to minimise further injury to the area, such as asking my employer to let me stay in one place as far as possible.

I doing fine on crutches. Told not to put more than 50% weight on the leg. I just put as much as weight as I'm comfortable with, as long as it's not 100%. So far so good. Most times no pain, sometimes very slight pain (sole of feet below heel). My foot is less stiff. I feel more confident about attempting to drive soon. However, whether the bone has joined is a another matter.

Best wishes for your healing!!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON 81 View Post
You will probably heal a lot faster than I have. I have just been healing very slow. you do need to build up for these crutches, they can be tricky. Watch out for rugs and towels in the floor, they are very dangerous. I hope you the best too, and one of these days we will look back at this and say, WOW!!! Take care and thanks for your concern.

cannon
Hey Cannon!

How are you doing? I hope you are having good progress!

Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 6,565 times
Hello. Yes I had this injury last year 2007. 15 months have passed. I am exercising to strengthen my ankle and leg....on a treadmill....consultant told me not to run as this is bad for the joint. I have a plate and 9 screws in front of leg as my ankle was virtually decapitated. Horrible. I am positive in trying to recover but still traumatised by an injury far worse than 3 childbirths experienced. I have some swelling around ankle and I am told " a lovely scar"!!??
I sympathise with you and anyone who has had this type of accident. I would be grateful for any advice on further exercise from anyone.
Good luck.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 23,327 times
G'day All. I'm 24, and joining the fun with a compound fracture of the Tibia and Fibula on my left leg.

On July 13th, I got into a motorcycle accident. I'm very lucky to have come out with only a broken leg, it could have been much worse. I only remember wiping out, hitting my head on something, slamming to the floor, swallowing a lot of blood, and hoping that I wouldnt be run over by on coming traffic. I was on the floor with all my gear on for a good long while before the ambulance came, lucky me picked the furthest spot away from a hospital to wipe out at.

I had 3 surgeries within 2 weeks. I had the first once I got to the hospital. I woke up with an external fixator. I had my second surgery a few days later. I woke up to a wound vac. I must say the wound vac is a torture device, especially when they have to change the dressing. I finally had the rod and screws put in on the 22nd. That was super painful. I woke up in pain, and needed to have 4 nurses hold me down.

I'm left the hospital a few days after the surgery, and have been stuck in bed for 90% of the time. The open wounds are preventing me from doing much. They keep on bleeding whenever I stand up. I have nurses come to the house every other day to change the dressings. Luckily the wound vac has been removed, and they dont need to rip the sponge out of the open wound anymore. The only problem now is that I have a pocket that fills with blood from time to time which is having a hard time healing. At the moment my flesh wounds seems to be giving me more grief, than the bone itself.

The doctor put off physical therapy until sometime in September. I see the doctor on Sept 5, so we'll see what he says. I've been moving my ankle, and pressing my knee down as much as I can in the mean time.

I'm bumming pretty hard these days, I hate being so dependent on people, especially my parents. I'm normally pretty independent and I'll do things for my parent instead. Reruns on tv are getting tiresome. I used to smoke, but havent touched one since the accident. I am looking forward to going out with the friends again. I miss work, slightly worried about how they'll take to me being out for another few months...

Oh well, thanks for listening to my story. Wish everyone the best, and speedy recovery!

Last edited by specs; 08-23-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 01:01 AM

3 posts, read 58,674 times
Hang tight specs.. don't let all the lonesome time eat you up. I like you have never been so dependent on my folks either, but when you get hit by a car on a motorcycle and end up in a wheelchair for 2 months, and crutches for 7... (and counting) you really don't have a choice. Just remember that it could of been worse. I read a thread from someone that broke their tibia in both their legs. So keep your head up!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 AM

Default Negative Ions/FINALLY Healing

I have been doing negative ion treatment (a form of electrotherapy) for a month everyday. 5 times a day. Other than that, I had been taking Chinese traditional medicine (from TCM doctor who told me to pray very hard). I also did a lot of walking with the crutches (was told not more than 50%).

Today, I went to see the doctor. FINALLY, gd news 4 months 1 week after my injury. Every time I see the doctor I get depressed. Was told to walk without my crutches. No pain, except when I walked too long.

I really think the negative ion treatment worked for me because there were times when I could feel some throbbing around the injury area during treatment.

One month ago, I went to seek a second opinion from an OS and was told that high likelihood the tibia wouldn't join as the fibula was intact and I shouldn't delay having an operation (bone graft- taken from hip, metal plates and screws). My injury = a tibial spiral fracture, slightly displaced 0 two inches above the ankle. Casted for 8 weeks.

All I can say is constant prayer ( I have never prayed so hard in my life) and never giving up can sometimes give you a miracle no matter what the doctor says. It has been a journey of ups and downs. It's not over yet as the bone has not healed 100%. But I think the hard part is over. Am seeing doctor 6 weeks from now. Going back to work the day after tomorrow. After 17 weeks.

I really feel for everyone who has had to go through worse. This was already the toughest thing I ever had to face in my life.

So, I wish everyone in this forum a speedy recovery. You are not alone. Have courage and pray.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 AM

Default Swelling/scar/exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie3341 View Post
Hello. Yes I had this injury last year 2007. 15 months have passed. I am exercising to strengthen my ankle and leg....on a treadmill....consultant told me not to run as this is bad for the joint. I have a plate and 9 screws in front of leg as my ankle was virtually decapitated. Horrible. I am positive in trying to recover but still traumatised by an injury far worse than 3 childbirths experienced. I have some swelling around ankle and I am told " a lovely scar"!!??
I sympathise with you and anyone who has had this type of accident. I would be grateful for any advice on further exercise from anyone.
Good luck.
So sorry to hear about your trauma. I have 3 kids too i hope you are taking joint food. Perhaps you could consider using a titanium-germanium-magnet (ions) anklet which may help with the swelling. I did some research and it's supposedly good for circulation. I got myself one. It actually got loose for me (not sure if it was because of this though). I actually felt some static around the area when i was doing electrotherapy (negative ions treatment). The human body (most of which is water) does react to precious stones and electric waves according to research. Some may think it's nonsense. For me, I just think I have nothing to lose. You might want to check out rosehip which works for bad scars. From what I read, a stationary bicycle seems to be most recommended for recovering from leg injury (although with an ankle injury perhaps best to ask the physio) other than walking in water. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 AM

49 posts, read 391,803 times
Default Learning experience

Hi DirtRider:

Certainly, I understand your situation: On August 2nd I got a broken tibia while riding my bicycle in Mexico City, where I live. I tried to pass over a railroad rail, and that caused the fall and the fracture. My left foot was also twisted 90°. It was an open fracture, grade I.
Three days later, they installed a plate inside my tibia with 8 screws. They will witdraw one of them in Sept. 10th. They say this is a definitive plate.
I cannot even put my left foot on the floor. AFther the screw removal, we will decide on that.
Very thankfully, I didn't experience the slightest pain at the moment of the accident: those are the miracles performed by adrenalin. I was taken very quickly to the E.R., where they reduced the fracture, also without pain, for the surprise of the doctors (and myself)
Certainly, the swelling and the pain started later.
Now, three weeks later, the swelling is almost gone, but the pain (moderate) remains and it is quite dependent on the position of the foot.
At the moment, I don't have the sligthest idea about riding again a bicycle...
In my personal case, I am a 46 y.o. man, very active, who has never suffered such accident. The first top priority is to overcome the psychological thrauma, because both of the accident itself and the relatively slow recovery process.
If I decide to go back to the bicycle, it will be only after much, much meditation, and getting all the information I can. I have realised that I have to learn a lot about myself, my new situation, and how I need to handle, I have realise that this requires time and the effort to look and to ask for that information.
On the other hand, in this very forum, you can see the terrible cases of so much people with a significant worse situation than a single tibia open grade I fracture.... With so many months of inmobility and uncertainty.

So, I understand you, my own, our need to go back to the bicycle ASAP, but perhaps today's priorities are quite different to that.

I wish you all the best, and a full, 100% recovery.

Manuel,
Bicycle messenger

PS: I have worked as a bicycle messenger before, not at the moment of the accident, but I like it a hell of a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrider View Post
Greetings, I was riding my Dirt bike July 4th got a little out of control and made a jab for the ground with my right foot at that point it felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat just below the knee. I stopped looked down and my foot was pointed straight out at a 90° angle from the bike.

As it turned out I had busted the tibia just above the ankle and the fibula just below the knee, I had a spiral fracture of the tibia. That night I was operated on and a rod was installed with five screws three in the ankle and two just below the knee. I have a large boot with Velcro straps that I have to wear most of the time.

It will three weeks this coming Friday and today Wednesday was the first day that I was able to get up and move around much without a lot of pain. The Doc said it would be six weeks before I should try and put weight on my foot.

I am keeping a positive attitude and taking a lot of vitamins and minerals, I am not a smoker and I have not been drinking coffee or alcohol.

I still want to ride dirt bikes or dual sport bikes so I am thinking about having the hardware removed after I heal up.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how long I should wait before removing the rod? I am also going to ask the PA what he thinks this Friday when I meet with him, the Doc is on Vacation.

Tim

Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
Breaks that require fixation generally take a long time to heal. One of my co-workers was in lower-leg fixation for 7 months after a motorcycle accident. She had intense pain out to about 3 months and considerable pain for about 60 days thereafter. I know you want to heal up and feel normal NOW but you just have to wait it out and find a way to sleep with that monstrosity on your leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness