Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 PM

64 posts, read 333,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
UofTLaw - As was explained to me the level of difficulty you will experience going FWB is dependent on a number of factors, including your current physical condition, type of injury and the length of time you were non-weight bearing. I am in very good shape and was non-weight bearing for only 7 weeks, however, I had a twisting fracture of the medial and lateral malleolus. The injury caused severe tendon, ligament and muscle damage. So I had a very difficult time for the first 10 days or so. The first 5 days were really bad, I could not walk at all barefoot on a hard floor. It's now been 3 weeks and things are easier but I experience some pain with every step. And by the end of the day my ankle is sore and swollen, and needs rest. With any luck you will have an easier time than I.
Hi Codeman,

I guess I have been fortunate to have only broken my tib in 2 places and fib in one. I don't think there has been further complications. I am still fairly young, being 28 and I have been healthy and active. Aside from the occasional shin splint feeling and I get this weird feeling my fibula is moving around because of the calf muscle, I don't usually put too much pressure on the leg aside from working on ankle mobility, leg raises and knee lifts. I am in my 5th week so I really hope my surgeon visit soon will have some positive news and I can start putting some weight on it and move forward to it.

So do you forsee me having the issues on my ankle and movements on the first few days? Do you recommend anything to alleviate that before I become weight bearing?

I am really excited but also scared of the weight bearing.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM

62 posts, read 259,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof2 View Post
Simms,
I am so glad to see you back on here with that positive attitude of yours!! You have been through so much yet continue to encourage and inspire others! I am very happy that you feel like your leg is finally fixed!! How exciting! I know I was not in such a happy mood after my surgeries and it is refreshing to hear you being so upbeat. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing, my prayers are with you.
Nanny
Thanks I do not know if I am a positive person or if its the drugs after the surgery!!lol Today has been one of those spinning days where I keep losing track of time and what day it is. I am on toe touch wieght bearing only. The Doc said only 20 lbs max weight on this leg. For the next few days 0 wieght will work just fine!! Ok I am going to pass out again!!! Talk to you all later keep strong!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Hey Mike,

How does this non-union occur? I am actually a but worried. Does this type of thing occur frequentky? How did it happen?
Hi,
Non unions happen when the bones dont grow together and it can happen for many different reasons. It is not uncommon to happen because of infection or poor alignment of bones ect.
I cannot talk about my non union for legal reasons. Dont worry yourself about things. My non union was just fixed by a great Doctor and his Team and I am confident that I will be as good a new soon. The deal is you can overcome any obstacle that will come your way.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 AM

64 posts, read 333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Hi,
Non unions happen when the bones dont grow together and it can happen for many different reasons. It is not uncommon to happen because of infection or poor alignment of bones ect.
I cannot talk about my non union for legal reasons. Dont worry yourself about things. My non union was just fixed by a great Doctor and his Team and I am confident that I will be as good a new soon. The deal is you can overcome any obstacle that will come your way.

Did you realize something was wrong or did the doctor figure this out?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 AM

20 posts, read 50,497 times
thank you all for your positive words im hopeing once it is out the pain will go down a lot but my foot is so stiff .. do any of you have an ugly acar were the bone came out mine is so weird lookin and dark lines and its just soi ugly

Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 AM

51 posts, read 159,667 times
Mindy thanks for the input. maybe my injuries arent as bad as yours as i only broke the Fib and some knee damage....i love not having pain right now cause i hate the pain meds side affects. they make me depressed among other things..i jst want to begin weight bearing soon..mon i am goin to ask about weight bearing..i feel for you as to your whole body in pain damn thats gotta be tough..if it werent for knee damage the knee walker would be the trick cause i am scared of crutches.i use a heavy duty walker. is anyone out there driving as i am? i am not on the pain meds at the moment so i am not so concerned..it sure feels good to do some things i used to do.lol well everyone lets hang in there..a buddy of mine broke his ankle area bad and had screws etc. a few mos later he is actually training for a marathon so there is hope!!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 PM

189 posts, read 795,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpilkey View Post
I just fractured my tibula and fibula I have 8 plates and 16 pins. I am told I can NOT put any pressure on my leg for at least 6 months and if I do I could ruin it for life and lose use of my leg. I am scared to death. Can anyone relate or at least tell me what I am in for....

Scared and worried...

Tpilkey,

I just re-read your post, glad you found this site and I hope you are finding helpful info. here. You are not alone in being scared and worried, I was too as I am sure most of us on here were. The main advice I can give you is to read the many stories on here, it is what has helped me through this.

Everyone heals differently so the time frames for each persons progress is different. Follow your Dr. orders and I truly feel the sooner you can start PT the better, I wish I had started earlier, but things are going pretty good for me. I broke my tib/fib on Jan 15, had one surgery Jan 16 and a second surgery Jan 28, 2 plates and 16 screws.

After my second surgery I had a temp. plaster cast for 2 weeks, then a fiberglass cast for 3 weeks. Got the fiberglass cast off on March 5 and fitted for an air boot. At that time I was allowed to put my foot down for balance and begin to put a small amount of weight on it but could work up to 50% within the month.

My OS last week told me I could FWB with the air boot as I can tolerate. I am not there yet, but gradually working up to that. I try to listen to my body and respect my limits while still pushing forward, I just don't want a setback.

So that is pretty much where I am now and I know with time, I will walk normally again and get my life back and do the things I love. I am a very active person so being laid up had been tough for me. As many others have posted, keeping your mind busy helps pass the time, reading, puzzles, movies, games and there are endless things to look up and do on the internet.

I hope this helps, take care and goodluck with your recovery!

Nanny

Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 PM

189 posts, read 795,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Thanks I do not know if I am a positive person or if its the drugs after the surgery!!lol Today has been one of those spinning days where I keep losing track of time and what day it is. I am on toe touch wieght bearing only. The Doc said only 20 lbs max weight on this leg. For the next few days 0 wieght will work just fine!! Ok I am going to pass out again!!! Talk to you all later keep strong!

I do think you are a postive person!! But if the drugs help, that is just a plus, you do what it takes to get through those first few rough days/weeks!! It is ok if it is just a blur, I am thankful some of those days were a blur for me! Take care of yourself!

Old 04-04-2009, 02:15 PM

HAHAHHA The drugs are working fine "Larry the Cable Guy" and the "Care Bears" just ran through my room!!! I dont care who you are thats funny! Thanks for the concern it means a lot coming from someone who has been through this!

Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Did you realize something was wrong or did the doctor figure this out?
Well first of all the doctors will not declare a fracture a non union until at least 6 months has gone by or longer for some fractures. So if it has not been 6 months since your injury you can stop worrying for a while. You will definetely know your not healing. Just picture walking around with a broken leg that has the same pain in it for a year and a half. WHen the pain goes away then you know your healing. Just dont try to do things to fast or that could cause problems. The biggest thing you have to overcome is the boredom and feeling that you want to do everything you used to do! I am the most impatient son of a gun around but I have learned to be patient because of this injury. It is very humbling!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.