Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 31,888 times

Advertisements

So heres my story. Jan. 13th I went out on my motorcycle, mind you i bought this bike 5 months ago brand spanking new, no Im not a inexperienced rider, but was my first new bike always rode older bikes. So I was out on my bike I was coming home and on the rode my neighborhood is off of I was riding down and a car pulls over infront of me, I didn think anything of it just thought he was pulling into a neighborhood. So I continue to go ot more than maybe a 1/2 mile to my house Im going about 40 45 mph not speeding. So I crest a little hill to then go to make a left into my neighborhood and BAM!! next thing I know I cant breath Im crawling around on the ground totally dazed and trying to figure out what happened.

So this is the story the person who hit me told the cops was first he tried to say he hit me aat 50mph t boned me. Then the passenger who was in his car made him tell the truth. So the story was he wanted to race my bike, I had a R6 for those of you who know what that is. So he pulled over to let me pass him. He then proceeded to punch it i guess got to 100mph yes 100mph he got in the left lane on coming lane of traffic to get next to me to race me over a hill mind you the idiot. then he crested the hill in which i was already taking a left and he hit me at around 98mph he ended up swirving enough to miss my boddy nailed the back end of my motorcycle broke the whole back end of my bik off. my bike skid down the road about 140ft or so and EXPLODED! the kid that hit me was 18 and skid down the road for over 500FT. I dont know how far exactly. I do remember getting back up and trying to breath just focusing on taking a breath then i got my helmet off my head, which they say you should never do because it could be holding you together. I then fell over from shock and started feeling a really strong pain in my right leg. So i lifted my leg and then lifted my head and my leg was dangliing by the skin, with my tib sticking out. took my to the hospital had a 3 hour surgery got 15 screws and 2 plates 5 screws in my fib and 10 in my tib. today is the what 8th of march and Im capable of walking on my leg doc said my break was so bad I wouldnt walk for atleast 4 to 6 months but i am capable of walking now so Im not sure why I am able to walk, when doc told me i shouldnt be able to for atleast 4 to 6 months. basically the dr took most of my bone out of my leg cause it was in such tiny pieces and he threw it out. He then used a bunch of bone putty? dont know actually name for it but was told kinda the same effect as wood putty???? anyone else had that used on them? Im just trying to figure out why he took over a inch of bone out of my leg 2 months ago and I can walk and some of you guys cant walk after 3 4 5 months. any reasons Im open ears well thanks for reading my story. Oh and for those of you who wonder Im buying a new bike before summer as long as my walking cast is off my leg and I can use the back brake. Im not gonna let what can or can not happen control my life and be scared of all the things fun and things I enjoy. such as my motorcycle.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 699,453 times
Default roger6087 hows your leg?

Hey Roger, how did your doc's appointment go?
Did the doc remove the Ilizarov? The only downfall about the
cast is when you have and itch and can't get to it, will
drive you crazy!!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan 777 View Post
i hope this helps

definatly do as much stretching and exercise as possible, it will shorten the limping stages.....so that confirms "yes"...the electro stuff helps big time, hydro is a must while you are non weight bearing as it is the only place you can actually walk(exercise). from my experience (wish i had done this) pull your big toe towards you ( a good stretch) and keep it flexable- this will reduce the limp later

as for walking properly....i am 5 months after my fracture and am slowly getting over the limp, it is not 100% but is getting close. my physio tapes up my leg which makes certain muscles start to work again, he also does acupuncture, the electro stuff, deep tissue releases.....i go 3 times a week and is the best thing you can do.
remember it will be more painful and you will limp more at first when the muscles you have not been using start to work again.

as for nerves....apparently they heal at 1mm per day. it took a while for any abnormal sensation to subside.

as for getting around the house in the first stages (like getting your cup of coffee from the kitchen to the lounge)-use an office chair with wheels - sweet as!

also if it feels like the bone is crushing together - it is possibly a good thing ( i am not a doctor but) this will stimulate more callus formation and make the fracture heal. Personnally i had to go for a second operation to remove the distal locking screws (near the ankle) to allow this to happen. It worked but is still going slow and i may require a bone graft in march if there is no significant improvement by then

best of luck to everybody
Hey, thanks a million. It's easy to see that everyone stresses on pretty much the same issues here. I had fractured my fib and after ORIF and six screws and a plate, I'm getting impatient and want to start the rehabbing now! After reading your post, I feel better about the overall outcome possibilities.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 AM

how long did most of you guys have to go along in a walking cast?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 AM

Default JKtank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKtank View Post
how long did most of you guys have to go along in a walking cast?

Mine was about six month all together, walking cast was the best..

Nel

Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Default JKtank

Sorry I forgot to mention had my walking cast on for the last two month.

Nel

Old 03-09-2008, 03:33 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Hey Roger, how did your doc's appointment go?
Did the doc remove the Ilizarov? The only downfall about the
cast is when you have and itch and can't get to it, will
drive you crazy!!
He said every thing looked good and it was time for it to come off. His assistant was going to make arrangements and call me. So I went home expecting to get it off in 4 or 5 days. I was a little shocked when they called and said it would be the 25th of March. It itches now and nearly drives me crazy when I can scratch, so I'm not looking forward to that.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
He said every thing looked good and it was time for it to come off. His assistant was going to make arrangements and call me. So I went home expecting to get it off in 4 or 5 days. I was a little shocked when they called and said it would be the 25th of March. It itches now and nearly drives me crazy when I can scratch, so I'm not looking forward to that.
you can always do like I did, I took a knife and just cut a hole in the side of it. dr didnt say a word about it. the hole was like 2inchs in diameter. just if you do becareful not to cut yourself when you do cut it down. I cut it right on my ankle bone and was perfect to itch the right itches lol.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:57 PM

Default JKtank

[quote=JKtank;3086666]you can always do like I did, I took a knife and just cut a hole in the side of it. dr didnt say a word about it. the hole was like 2inchs in diameter. just if you do becareful not to cut yourself when you do cut it down. I cut it right on my ankle bone and was perfect to itch the right itches lol.[/quote]

Hey JKtank, you just made me laugh, be careful.
Thank goodness you are still alive! My husband has
a motor cycle too and it make me nervous everytime
he goes for a ride. He was in a real bad ski-doo accident
few years ago and also had a knee surgery, his knee
hasn't been the same since. He went to an X-ray few
weeks ago and the screws are coming loose, he is not
happy with that!
Anyway take care of yourself.

Nel

Old 03-10-2008, 06:07 PM

Default roger6087

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post

That day will come, it'll seem like a long time from now.
Coat hanger and a straw were very handy to use everytime
I got itchy... Actually my husband finally felt sorry for me and
got me the coat hanger, hehehehe.

Nel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.