Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM

64 posts, read 334,044 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Great posts and I thank you all for your help and advice.

Last night I did something really dumb. I thought I would start exploring my house a bit more by walking around in crutches with my aircast on (kept on outside of my bedroom). I was walking into the kitchen which happened to be tiled with the front foyer - both rooms connected. Anyway, I walked from the kitchen to the foyer where there was moisture on the floor. My left crutch slipped on it where I lost grip and by reaction, I placed my left leg (injured) down with some impact. I didn't fall but both legs were then on the fall but I believe my good leg (right) still bared the majority on the weight of my body. Although I didn't fall I temporary lost grip from my crutch which made me put my leg down. My right side was fine with the crutch in grip and leg stationed down. But now I became concern that perhaps my bone may have taken a small hit on it. Luckily, I do not feel any additional pain but have now grown weary.

My question to all is, although our bones are healing and haven't totally mended, do you think after 8 weeks (and given the okay to put 50lbs back on the leg) and going through that split second ordeal, is there anything to worry about?

I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and let him know but I thought I'd get some opinions and perhaps some people who have gone through similar events.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 AM

139 posts, read 588,064 times
UofTLaw,
Sorry about your slippage. Do consult your dr? I don't think there is anything to worry about. The dr would not have let you start wb if he did not feel your bones were stable to take it. Its hard not to worry today is my first day back since removal of hardware. Realizing the hardware had to come out was one thing but knowing it was too early for it to come out plays mind games with your brain and now this morning I found myself worried that staples are in cannot get cam boot on because of all staples on both sides now I worry about rehurting the ankle. Going to use walker today still too wobbly on two crutches can only toe tap. Wish me luck. Bev

Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM

27 posts, read 119,941 times
UofTLaw,

It's a good idea to consult your OS but I doubt you would have caused any damage. Whle I was still in a fiberglass cast I fell off my knee walker and really landed hard on my leg with the broken ankle. This was 3 weeks before I was given the OK for any WB and it turned out to be fine. Our bodies are a bit tougher than we give them credit.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
UofTLaw,
Sorry about your slippage. Do consult your dr? I don't think there is anything to worry about. The dr would not have let you start wb if he did not feel your bones were stable to take it. Its hard not to worry today is my first day back since removal of hardware. Realizing the hardware had to come out was one thing but knowing it was too early for it to come out plays mind games with your brain and now this morning I found myself worried that staples are in cannot get cam boot on because of all staples on both sides now I worry about rehurting the ankle. Going to use walker today still too wobbly on two crutches can only toe tap. Wish me luck. Bev
Hi Bev,

I know what you mean about the mind playing tricks on us. But as you've said, I am sure the doctor's know what they were doing when they decided to operate and remove your hardware. Even if the timeline was a bit earlier then suggested. I had some staples by my ankle as well and had to wear my boot. I was worried that for some reason, the pain came from there. But as went on, the staples were still by my ankle and the pain wasn't there.

I actually called the doctor's office today and luck has it, he is out of the country for the week. I have a appointment scheduled for next week but I am thinking of going to the hospital's ER and get an xray done there. Only concern is, even though its in the same hospital, would the ER doctors have access to my file and give me an assessment? I guess I'll find out soon as I've asked the clinic to call me back.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
UofTLaw,

It's a good idea to consult your OS but I doubt you would have caused any damage. Whle I was still in a fiberglass cast I fell off my knee walker and really landed hard on my leg with the broken ankle. This was 3 weeks before I was given the OK for any WB and it turned out to be fine. Our bodies are a bit tougher than we give them credit.
That's amazing how you didn't hurt yourself. My hope is that nothing is wrong as I didn't land hard but I did make a harder landing than just gingerly placing my leg down. And although it was a split second balancing act, I am a bit worried.

Thanks for your story and I hope to hear soon from the doctor's office.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,118 times
Default tib fib fracture (no surgery) anyone have any info?

HELP! Does anyone have any experience with a tib fib fracture with NO SURGERY? How long does it usually take to heal without surgery? My 18 year old daughter broke tib fib playing soccer 10 weeks ago and was given the option to heal in cast with no surgery. Bone broke midway between ankle and knee... clean breaks..., doc had to "adjust" the tibia three times in first 3 weeks but has been holding straight and stable now for last 7 weeks. He originally estimated 6 weeks in long cast and 6 in short cast then walking boot, but is going on 10 weeks in long cast and he says not much bone growth. She is using an ultrasound bone stimulator, doesn't smoke or drink, takes calcium + vitamin D and multi-vitamin each day. She is sick of the long cast and ready to get into a short cast... have read alot of stories on here about those with surgery but need to know what to expect when no surgery. ANY information you have would be helpful.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom63 View Post
HELP! Does anyone have any experience with a tib fib fracture with NO SURGERY? How long does it usually take to heal without surgery? My 18 year old daughter broke tib fib playing soccer 10 weeks ago and was given the option to heal in cast with no surgery. Bone broke midway between ankle and knee... clean breaks..., doc had to "adjust" the tibia three times in first 3 weeks but has been holding straight and stable now for last 7 weeks. He originally estimated 6 weeks in long cast and 6 in short cast then walking boot, but is going on 10 weeks in long cast and he says not much bone growth. She is using an ultrasound bone stimulator, doesn't smoke or drink, takes calcium + vitamin D and multi-vitamin each day. She is sick of the long cast and ready to get into a short cast... have read alot of stories on here about those with surgery but need to know what to expect when no surgery. ANY information you have would be helpful.
Hi Soccermom...I wasn't aware that you had an option for a broken tibia. When I broke mine, the doctor came to me directly and said that if they do not operate, it would take a lot longer to heal and there would be a big chance that it may align properly. After surgery and 8 weeks later, I am still in my long aircast with the option to take it off at night to sleep, so I'd imagine it would be longer than me if you elected not to have surgery.

I wish you the best and I hope someone on this forum can help you out.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 AM

51 posts, read 159,848 times
UPATE!! yesterday went to my post 8wks after surgery OS appt. he said xray looked like no change and gave me the go ahead to wb as much as i can stand. Started to learn how to walk with a cane..will keep in the walker mostly and transition to cane as i feel comfortable. on the 26th i will be allowed to drive school bus again. last night i was swollen.ankle and leg bust this am looks good. my knee is quite big so he had me wear a short velcro knee stabilizer which he said will help push the swelling out. so it was good news for me and on the way to walking again slowly but surely...soccermom..i have never heard of no surgery but it makes sense because of he age her bones are still growing and if they are lined up right they will mend together..at my age they would not...mike

Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 AM

189 posts, read 795,483 times
Mike,
Congrats on the good news! My transition from the walker to the cane was slow at first, but once I got the hang of it I quit using the cane pretty quickly. Now that I can WB without my airboot, I am back to using the cane when I am in a regular shoe and it sure helps. So you will get there too, just take your time, you will know when you are ready.

Soccermom,
So sorry about your daughter's injury. This is a tough injury to go through especially if she is used to being very active. I would guess the Dr's gave her the option of no surgery because of her age and her health. Young bones generally do heal quicker. I can't think of anyone on here who has not had surgery, but you may want to check another website, it is www.mybrokenleg.com , I have looked through it a little but I don't think it is as easy to navigate through as this site, but it might be worth a try. One suggestion I have heard on here that seems to be helpful to many is getting a second opinion. What your daughter is going through and the timeline seem pretty normal, but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinon if you feel it would be helpful for her recovery. Goodluck and I hope you find some helpful info and your daughter continues to recover well!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM

139 posts, read 588,064 times
Mike,
Congrats on your good news. I agree with Nanny that using the walker will be short live for you. It gives you more balance at first then go to cane gradually. Practice alittle bit at home thats what I did. Do baby steps in weaning yourself off walker then as you increase with the cane away you go and soon you find you are ditching the cane once you get your balance.

Soccermom,
Her injury is a tough injury anyway. I am sure the doctors weighed all the options. Not having surgery on injury can take alot longer to heal. I would have to get a second and third opinion on that just to make sure her healing progress is right on track.

Yesterday was 4 days post op from removing hardware and it was tough at work even though I have sit down job medical billing its not like being home that you can elevate you leg ankle up in air with body pillow like I did at home however just kept taking tylenol rapid release at work and when got home iced the ankle up took all bandages off around the stapled area and today whoooo hoooooo was able to ditch the walker and now back on crutches being about to toe tap and bear no more than 20%. Amazing what a day makes. I just keep telling myself take your time, do not over do it. Its amazing how far all of us have come since first day of our injury and each day can only get better. Bev
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness