Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 PM

64 posts, read 334,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan View Post
Hi im 16 years old and on thursday may 14th i broke my tibia and fibula in our last regular season soccer match. I got a rod and 2 screws from the operation on friday and i got home saturday. I went to my 1 week checkup and i was put in an aircast. Im pretty much off my pain pills which i think is percocet (idk how you spell it). My calf muscle hurts the worst especially walking on the crutches right now but its been getting better. I can move my ankle really well left right up and down and the swelling on my foot has gone down and same with my ankle. I am going next week to see my doctor and get the 6 staples removed and my stiches. I pray everyday to get better and i just want to play soccer and WALK i feel like six weeks is going to take forever and after reading all of the stories here i feel like you guys can relate.

Thanks much!
Hey Kaan,

Hang in there! I broke my tibula and fibula in 2 places playing in my final volleyball match. So I can definitely understand how you're feeling. I came here and I got so much support from everyone and they helped me answer so many questions I had post op.

Our cases are very similar as I also received a rod and screws in my leg. I didn't end up getting any stitches but I did have about 25 staples in my leg. It is now more than 2 months and I am able to put weight on the leg now after being non-weight bearing for the first 8 weeks. One comment is to ensure that you keep up for physio therapy. Make sure your muscles on your "bad" leg is still good (ie. hamstrings, thigh, etc.). Once I did become weight bearing, I had the same issue as you with the calf and and achilles being very sore or painful. It's just the muscles and tendons getting used to themselves again since they haven't been probably used in a while. If you can weight bear, do it as often as you can but ensure to elevate your leg.

Anyway, good luck and hope your healing goes well.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:37 PM

51 posts, read 186,828 times
Hi Kaan - sorry to hear about your break - good news is you have youth on your side. Take it easy and make sure you eat properly, good vitamins, watch out for the junk food and pop - you want to promote bone growth. Make sure you follow your surgeon's advice, and do whatever therapy they tell you to - it seems to drag forever, and then suddenly 6 weeks has passed! I just saw a post from another site where the person is skiing and playing sports again! It can happen, just takes patience and time to let it heal! Good luck!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:19 PM

51 posts, read 159,868 times
Just thought i would update! Havent been on for a while. On Mar 6th i fell down stairs and got a Tibia plateau fracture,3 days in the hospital,a month at home then i started getting outside some. started wb as much as i could stand 3 weeks ago and in hopes of graduating from a walker to a cane. This coming friday it will be 12 weeks since my accident..Good news!! over the weekend i started using my walker less and less. And today i went to work with just my cane..i am sometimes even walking without it..I didnt think this would come soon enough. I wanted to share my story cause i too just like everyone else on here have been thru the ups and downs of this kind of injury..For those newbees there is light at the end of the tunnell. I have never had anything effect me like this injury. I was going to ride my bike yesterday but got scared of re injurying my leg..i have decided to buy a 3 wheel recumbent and sell my 2 wheel bike. Kaan,hang in there..yes youth is on your side you will heal faster than me i am 62..good luck and keep updating us ok? mike

Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 PM

68 posts, read 291,344 times
Hey all,
Been walking now for 8 weeks. Having a little setback right now. My foot is really swollen which it has not been like this for quite some time. I am going on vacation on Saturday. Going on the Harley. Thankfully i am riding on the back. So i will be out of touch for a week. Take care all.

Joy

Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
m2y

28 posts, read 117,186 times
Well it looks like my leg is more complicated than originally positioned by original OS. Will have to go in for more surgery involving bone debridement, plates on tibia/fibula (currently have rod with pins) & proper realignment. The new OS seems excellent & highly skilled. I abhor the idea of being back to square one, especially since I have been told it will be more painful than the original surgery. I am trying to enjoy the current mobility I have now. Lesson learned? Always, always vocalize all questions & concerns regardless of what MD trys to lead you too. And always get second opinion if you feel you are not getting the complete story/care. Well that's it for now. I have a feeling I will become a regular on this forum in the months to come

Old 05-26-2009, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
Iam a 27 year old male I was hit by a lady on my motorcycle on april 30th and had surgery on may 1st. I broke my tibia and fibula both in one place didnt penatrate skin, i left the hospital that monday the 4th had pain all that following week the next week took myslef off the meds, got tired of them. Swelling went down some in my leg but not that much in the foot, now its just 4 weeks later doing good im still on cruches the physical theriapist said that i can put 50% of my weight on my leg ive been doing that for 1 week now, but how long before i can walk i hope in august. should i take vitamins to help me out.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 AM

189 posts, read 795,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyklou View Post
Hey all,
Been walking now for 8 weeks. Having a little setback right now. My foot is really swollen which it has not been like this for quite some time. I am going on vacation on Saturday. Going on the Harley. Thankfully i am riding on the back. So i will be out of touch for a week. Take care all.

Joy

Joy,

Sorry to hear about your setback. Hopefully your vacation will give your leg/foot the rest it needs to keep healing. Have fun and stay safe.

Nanny

Old 05-27-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike perry ia View Post
Just thought i would update! Havent been on for a while. On Mar 6th i fell down stairs and got a Tibia plateau fracture,3 days in the hospital,a month at home then i started getting outside some. started wb as much as i could stand 3 weeks ago and in hopes of graduating from a walker to a cane. This coming friday it will be 12 weeks since my accident..Good news!! over the weekend i started using my walker less and less. And today i went to work with just my cane..i am sometimes even walking without it..I didnt think this would come soon enough. I wanted to share my story cause i too just like everyone else on here have been thru the ups and downs of this kind of injury..For those newbees there is light at the end of the tunnell. I have never had anything effect me like this injury. I was going to ride my bike yesterday but got scared of re injurying my leg..i have decided to buy a 3 wheel recumbent and sell my 2 wheel bike. Kaan,hang in there..yes youth is on your side you will heal faster than me i am 62..good luck and keep updating us ok? mike

Mike,

It is good to hear you are doing so well. Moving to the cane is another step towards your recovery....yeah! After a week or 2 of using my cane I found I would forget to use it, I would leave it in the car or leave it by my chair when I got up to get something. Then I would kind of say to myself well, if I am forgetting it I probably don't really need it. I think you will find yourself doing the same thing too.

I rode a regular bike this past weekend (have been using a stationary bike), it was fun but I too was a little worried of falling, the recumbent bike sounds like a good idea. Don't know when I will get back to riding my horses, I know I will have to overcome some fears with that too.

I go back to my OS tomorrow, was given the ok to FWB as tolerated in a regular shoe 4 weeks ago. At first I was back and forth with the air cast, but haven't worn it at all for almost 2 weeks, so I am looking forward to what my OS has to say tomorrow.

Take care everyone!

Nanny

Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm07 View Post
Iam a 27 year old male I was hit by a lady on my motorcycle on april 30th and had surgery on may 1st. I broke my tibia and fibula both in one place didnt penatrate skin, i left the hospital that monday the 4th had pain all that following week the next week took myslef off the meds, got tired of them. Swelling went down some in my leg but not that much in the foot, now its just 4 weeks later doing good im still on cruches the physical theriapist said that i can put 50% of my weight on my leg ive been doing that for 1 week now, but how long before i can walk i hope in august. should i take vitamins to help me out.

Sherm07,

Sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds like you are progressing well, already at 50% WB. Just be careful that you don't do too much too soon. As far as when you will be walking again, everyone heals differently, you are young and it seems like you recovering well so keep up with your PT and do your exercises everyday at home.

Getting the ROM in my ankle has been the toughest part for me, it has been 4 months since my injury and I am walking now, but still have a catch in my stride and have some pain and swelling. It is getting a little better every day but I have to work at it.

Many Dr's recommend taking calcium and vit. D to help promote bone growth, you may want to ask your OS or even your PT.

Goodluck as you continue to heal and read through the pages of this forum, you will find very helpful info and so much support.

Take care,

Nanny

Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 AM

69 posts, read 334,305 times
I am so happy to hear that everyone is making strides and on the right track. For the newbees just try to stay positive I know this is hard but it is very important i have been thru this twice and a postive outlook helps. The pain will lessen and the swelling will go down each day you will feel better then the last. I am 6 months out of surgery and leg still swells and I still have some pain, the rainy days are the worst and it has been a wet spring in PA. I am not any pain meds have not been for the past 5 1/2 months.

I have a really stupid question and just need some advice with the summer coming up and hopefully a nice vacation, do you think it ok I went water slides and parasailing ?
I have hardwear in both of my legs and not sure it either could damage my legs. I feel kinda stupid calling the dr before I get some feedback from friends.

thanks
margie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness