Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 02:52 PM

69 posts, read 334,305 times

Advertisements

Amitc thanks !!!!an attorney will take 1/3 of the settlement money and that sucks i just want an idea how you guys who have all been thru the same pain and suffering thing your injury would be worths

Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM

41 posts, read 117,045 times
green mine is about 1 million just so you know about tom have more surgery too so it might go up more

Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM

139 posts, read 588,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyes42 View Post
Amitc thanks !!!!an attorney will take 1/3 of the settlement money and that sucks i just want an idea how you guys who have all been thru the same pain and suffering thing your injury would be worths
Greenyes its hard to put a price on pain and suffering. Mine is aimed high too even though its only been 28 weeks the pain and suffering even though my bones are healed I certainly have gone through nothing as everyone here but everyday because of the injury you are reminded of how unnormal your injured area is so aim high. I too have an attorney but you can always opt to make the party your are suing pay your attorney fees separate so you still get full amount and attorney still gets is 1/3. Aim high mine is 750,000 if settled out of court I probably would go for no less than $500,000 pain and suffering will be a lifetime and thats what you have to look at the long term.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:34 PM

76 posts, read 415,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCG09 View Post
I broke both tib and fib on 7/2/09 (all I did was trip over a mat that was lying by our pool!), had surgery on 7/3/09 (rod with three screws). I opted for a splint versus a cast at my 3rd week check up and on that day my OS said I could start exercising both my knee and ankle. I have been doing the "ABC's" with my ankle and last night my ankle was so swollen and hurting, so I'm not sure if I overdid it, but I have kept it elevated and iced. Wanted to know if anyone has experienced ankle swelling 3 weeks after surgery? Is this normal? I am non weight bearing until I see my doctor again at 6 weeks post op (so in 3 more weeks) and am getting around with a walker or wheelchair when I'm not lying down with my leg elevated.
It's been 18 weeks for me and I'm still NWB. My ankle is still swollen and my leg gets purple when down for too long. I anticipate my ankle being subjected to swelling for maybe years.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM

76 posts, read 415,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitC View Post
I fell off a chair while painting and also had a comminuted tib/fib fracture. Luckily it was not an open wound. Also had a IM Nail and 4 screws. I also broke my ankle ( lateral malleolus ). No cast either. I have my time line and some photos below. Unfortunately you will have swelling for quite a long time. The swelling now is from inactivity and fluid buildup at the ankle. You might ask someone to help you to massage the swelling away b keeping your leg elevated ( above your heart ) and gently kneading the swelling from the toes to ankle and up along the leg. A lotion or cream helps. Since I had an ankle fx, I was NWB with no ankle movement for the first month. They removed my staples and splint after a week and I had the DARTH boot to wear at all times. For nites, there was a lighter fiberglass cast. I think I took Percocet and Vicodin for pain through all of June but tapered the dose down from about 4/day to 1 to zero by months end. By the way my OS advised against crutches. Used walker and eheelchair and graduated to a cane directly. Stair climbing was a issue. The only way up/down was on my butt. Taking a shower will also be a pain

My time line:
Fall from a chair while painting !!!!!
5/24 - broke tib/fib/ankle, IM Nail for tib, nothing for other fx'es
6/1 - Splint remove, DARTH, Home PT start for knee ROM, NWB,pain and swelling
6/22-WBAT - Walking with walker and boot, Outpatient PT, start ankle ROM
7/15 - FWB - Using cane ditched walker, Good progress at PT but no bone healing
7/20 - Driving and back to work full time, ankle swelling and pain returns and still there today at the end of everyday.

Healing rays your way
I broke tib/fib March 28 (18 wks now) and not healed -- why do you get to walk? I'm still NWB? Maybe because you have IM Nail and I have bracket on outer side of each leg with 15 screws? I don't get it.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM

20 posts, read 100,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
I broke tib/fib March 28 (18 wks now) and not healed -- why do you get to walk? I'm still NWB? Maybe because you have IM Nail and I have bracket on outer side of each leg with 15 screws? I don't get it.
DO you have both legs fractured or is it plates on both sides of one leg. One for the tibia and one for he fibula ? Sorry to hear you are still NWB after 18 weeks. Is there no sign of healing and cloudiness near the broken sites. Maybe you need a bone growth simulator to speed up the fusion. Ask your doctor. This is the time to also increase anything that speeds up bone growth.
Foods to eat to promote the healing of broken bones:

• Fat free milk (skim)
  • Defatted soy flour (at least 1/3 of a cup per day recommended) highest source of Lysine)
  • Calcium fortified orange juice (2 cups per day recommended)
  • Green leafy vegetables, collard greens 355 mg/cal/cup, Bok choy 250 mg/cal/cup, (Vitamin K)
  • Broccoli (200 mg/cal/cup)
  • Sesame seeds
  • Carrots (lightly cooked)
  • Pumpkin (canned or cooked)
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Squash
  • Oatmeal, shredded wheat, other whole grain low-no sugar added cereals
  • At least 97% or greater fat free chicken or turkey breast (I look for at least 99% fat free.) Substitute olive oil or canola oil for other oils, but still use sparingly. Also keep animal protein consumption down, it increases calcium loss.
  • Salmon and other fish, including the skin and fat (Research suggests this fat (EPA fat) has the ability to raise HDLs. 1-5 servings per week recommended)
  • Sardines
  • Tofu with calcium sulfate
  • Fresh fruits (especially apples) good source of boron to aid in calcium absorption
  • Dried fruits (unsweetened) especially apricots, dates, prunes
  • Low fat tomato sauces and pasta
  • Peanuts, walnuts, almonds in moderation
  • Grape juice
  • Grapes, especially red grapes
  • Grapefruit, especially pink
  • Bean and, chickpea dishes and dips (great source of boron to help increase calcium absorption)
  • Tomato salsas
  • Mineral water
  • Apples
  • Yeast
Remember the key to building your bones is not how much calcium you take in, but how much you absorb

Foods to consider avoiding:

• 1%, 2% and whole milk and products
  • Meats with 96% or less fat
  • Red meats (Increases calcium loss)
  • Hydrogenated oils such as stick margarine, and when listed as an ingredient in foods
  • Food with high butter fat and other animal fats
  • Hot dogs, hamburgers
  • Salt (a major bone robber) or foods prepared with salt
  • More than one cup of coffee or other caffeine beverages a day
  • Sugar (a major bone robber)
  • Chocolate (a bone robber due to caffeine content)
  • Soft drinks due to high phosphorus content
  • Alcohol (it inhibits calcium absorption)
  • Carbonated Beverages
  • Caffeine (increases rate of calcium loss through the urine)
  • Smoking
    There must be a reason why your healing is slower. I would ask the doc
    By the way I got this list from another website like this where I also frequent and spend my time.

All the best

Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 AM

5 posts, read 16,586 times
Hi everyone,
I am a member too of broken tib fib and dislocation. I have a question for all, when have you started PT. I am 5 weeks post op/ plates,pin, wire and my PT was very surprised that my doc had me start so soon. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:03 AM

175 posts, read 741,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele53 View Post
Michele, the one thing to remember is that while we all have similar injuries, no two are exactly the same. There are so many factors that play a role in healing. What did your doctor say about how long it's taking you to heal? How bad was your break?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 AM

175 posts, read 741,440 times
Hey guys - just popping in to say hello. I see a lot of new faces and not a whole lot of old ones, so welcome to the broken leg club! I broke my tib-fib back in November and was NWB for 9 weeks before being allowed to PWB. Unfortunately, they found out I had an infection somewhere around the 15 week mark, and at that point, they wanted to wait as long as possible before removing the hardware. I had half of my hardware removed at 5 months, and at that point the bone was still very broken. Today I am doing really well. I've been given no restrictions from the doctor and started working out on the elliptical machine backwards trying to get the muscles all going again. I noticed yesterday that there was very little swelling for the first time in the last 8 months. Woohooo! Though I still have a slight limp, I'm walking so much better, too, and I can get out there and play with the kids again, though if I overdo things, I pay the price later.

Don't worry kiddies, it DOES get better!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM

189 posts, read 795,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Hey guys - just popping in to say hello. I see a lot of new faces and not a whole lot of old ones, so welcome to the broken leg club! I broke my tib-fib back in November and was NWB for 9 weeks before being allowed to PWB. Unfortunately, they found out I had an infection somewhere around the 15 week mark, and at that point, they wanted to wait as long as possible before removing the hardware. I had half of my hardware removed at 5 months, and at that point the bone was still very broken. Today I am doing really well. I've been given no restrictions from the doctor and started working out on the elliptical machine backwards trying to get the muscles all going again. I noticed yesterday that there was very little swelling for the first time in the last 8 months. Woohooo! Though I still have a slight limp, I'm walking so much better, too, and I can get out there and play with the kids again, though if I overdo things, I pay the price later.

Don't worry kiddies, it DOES get better!

Hi Christina,
So wonderful to hear you are doing so well!! I have been wondering how you are doing as well as some of the other "older posters". Are you still going to PT? I have been released by my Ortho and my PT....still doing my PT everyday at home. I am doing much better too at 6months post surgery. Still have plenty of stiffnes and some new shin pains, but walking much better. I can walk without a limp once the ankle loosens up, but still have a slight limp/gimp when I first get up. But things seem to be progressing each week, there are just still challenges once you reach this point too. I also have to be careful not to overdo things or I'll pay for it later.

How do you feel with the hardware out? My OS told me mine would stay in, but there are times when I just feel I want it out and maybe this stiffness would ease up.........I know I need to give it more time.

Again, so glad you are improving and keep checking in now and then

Much Love,
Nanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness