Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 06:07 AM

5 posts, read 20,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoptJosh View Post
Manuel,

I also think the "crack" is nothing to worry about. I hear and feel "clicking" when I move my leg or put stress on my ankle and my doctor said it's nothing to worry about, just muscles and tendons and stuff moving over the bone. Saw him yesterday and he said I can put some weight on my leg--40 pounds or so but when I put my leg down on a bathroom scale, 40 pounds was nothing. I realize that I am putting more like 70 pounds on my leg and it feels fine although today I probably walked too much. I also bought a compression sock and ankle support and they help a lot with the swelling and ankle discomfort. I will probably try driving some distance over the weekend--I hope to drive out to my house and back (stayig at Mom's 50 miles from home). Should be full weight bearing in another week or 10 days. I forgot to ask about the exercise bike. I regret that because it sounds like it's really helping with your recovery.

BMXRider.16:

You sound like you have a good atitude and I am sure you'll heal quickly and completly. You're lucky in a way because you're so young--your bones are still growing which will probably help you heal faster.

Josh
The PT told me a reccumbant bike like those found at most gyms and YWCAs
is ideal because it gets the leg moving without much resistance. http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Old 09-27-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleydwarner View Post
hey guys, cheers for your posts im now in week 4 after surgery, i have always been able to put full weight on my leg but i havnt been for many long walks yet. i am occasionally getting cramp in my quad when getting out of bed and standing up. is resting in bed helping me or should i be getting up and about more. i cannot ride a bike just yet because as i stated earlier i was in a car crash and fratcured my t2 in my spine too. i need advice on physio fir mt leg . excersices you use. docs reckon i should be ok in 2 weeks but i need to regain muscle and strength as i have lost so much weight after spending 3 weeks in hospital. any advice would be good. keep up the good work guys.
Hey, I have cramping in my leg, too. Make sure you stay hydrated. I found I avoided drinking water because it just meant I'd have to crutch it to the bathroom, especially difficult in the dead of night. These are some of the exercises I was given, keeping in mind I can have no weight on my leg for
6-10 weeks:

Lay flat on bed or floor with pillow(s) under injured leg so that foot is not
touching pillow or bed. Flex foot upward and back as far as possible for
30 counts. Rotate foot clockwise for 30 counts. Rotate foot counterclockwise 30 counts.

Prop your torso up with your legs straight out in front. Flatten your injured leg as much as possible to bed, or floor and tighten your upper thigh muscles and relax.
Repeat 20 times.

Put a bolster pillow or small ball under the knee of the injured leg. Extend
the lower leg upwards as high as possible and lower. Repeat 20 times.

With torso flat to bed or floor and legs extended flat, slowly work the knee of the injured leg upward so that the knee is bent as much as possible. It
might help to have a piece of cardboard under the foot of the injured leg so that the foot can slide easier. OR use a towel under the knee to pull the knee upward. When the knee is as bent as possible hold for a count of five.
Repeat 20 times.

With both knees bent as much as possible, put a ball or folded pillow between knees and try to crush with knees. Flex and relax for 20 repetitions.

Lay flat on bed or floor with both legs straight out. Slowly lift injured leg
as far off bed as possible, keeping leg straight. Rest and repeat 20 times.
Work up to lowering leg to almost touching bed and raise again without resting.

Lay on side of good leg with knee of good leg bent. Straighten injured leg
as much as possible and raise upward as high as possible. Slowly lower,
do not touch bed or floor and raise again. Repeat 20 times. (A side leg lift)

Lay flat on back. Place a long towel or scarf under arch of foot of injured
leg. Keeping the leg as straight as possible, slowly pull the leg upward
as far as possible, toward your face. When at maximum position, hold
for ten counts. Slowly lower leg and rest. Repeat 10 times.

Hope these help someone.http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM

49 posts, read 391,764 times
Hey Nana52:

YEah, a recumbent bicycle is really a great idea!!! If you have one available, go ahead for it...
Yes: cramps are terrible. I suffered terrible cramps during the inmobilisation period of 6 weeks, and after the withdrawal of the retention screw, never ever before as a ciclyst I have suffered such terrible cramps...
I agree with you about the hydration, it is of the utmost importance, but yes, you have to consider those continous trips to the bathroom.
Thanks so much for the exercises instructions. I only would tell that anyone around this forum, before starting any excercise, she/he ought to have green light from his/her orthopedist and/or physiotherapist.
I am riding now on my fixed bicycle about 10 kms in a row. I am walking with only one crutch, and I am on the 8th week after the accident. Still some pain and swelling but frankly decreasing...
I want to thank everyone around here, this forum is really helpful.

ALL the best to all of you

Manuel
Healing broken ankle bike messenger

Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM

Hey Ashleydwarner:
So good that you are doing great!!! YOur age is really an advantage!!!
Yes, cramps are part of this. During my inmobilisation period I suffer from cramps as never ever before. Not even riding my bicycle for 200 kms has caused me such cramps... Perhaps some bananas could be helpful. Also losing weight is part of this: I lost about 5 kgs... (from 80 kgs), before this mess I wanted to lose some weight, just look how I did it!!!

My best wishes for you

Manuel
Healing broken ankle

Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 PM

28 posts, read 175,514 times
nana,

Your exercises sound good and the recumbent bike sounds like a good idea too. I'm staying with my mother and her condo association has an exercise room. Maybe they have one.

For the first time I have considerable pain today. I went to an opera in New York and sat in a cramped seat for over 3 hours. Big mistake. My foot swelled against compression sock and even though I took everything off and am lying in bed, it still hurts. (achy and tightness)

Old 09-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Default HoptJosh

Hang in there....I hear your frustration. Know you aren't alone. I am 56 with my youngest child of four in college. I am very active in my church and my husband had to leave to set in to place the distribution of four million meals to the starving in Kenya four days after my surgery. I have never had to be on the receiving end of dependency. I have learned some valuable lessons
with the number one being that when I again am able to help others I will listen better and assess what the person truly needs rather than what I think is needed.

As far as your experience at the opera...did you enjoy it? Sometimes we need to feed the soul in order to help heal the body. I am surprised at how quickly I have forgotten that and was becoming fearful of leaving home. One of the other lessons I've learned is that regardless of our station in life, after food,
water and shelter the basic need we all have is just to matter to someone
else. Know that you do....

Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM

28 posts, read 175,514 times
Nana,

What a wonderful thing that you and your husband are doing--helping to feed the hungry in Kenya. I'm sure you didn't appreciate being left behind but at the same time you knew that what your husband was doing was what some of us would call " a mitzvah" (a good deed).

I really have no reason to complain. I'm so lucky that my mother is still able to provide me with the care that I needed and lucky that my surgery went well. I am able to drive again and put some weight on my leg. I haven't had much pain, yesterday was only because my leg was down and bent too much for too long--but yes, the opera was good--very good. Don Giovanni at the Met in New York.

I hope that all of us on this board has a quick and complete recovery.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:33 PM

Hi HoptJOsh:

Well, at least you enjoyed the opera. I think the swelling was worth the Opera!

This is a big coincidence because I'm also an opera fan. "Die Zauberflote" (THe Magic Flute) also from MOzart is my favorite. Here in Mexico City is seldom performed alive... Who sang Don Giovanni? Leporello? COnductor? During these days I have only watched a DVD of the Magic Flute, conducted by James Levine, sung by Kathleen Battle, Francisco Araiza (a Mexican), etc.
I think that this ordeal of a broken ankle is like the initiation proof through Water and Fire (well, in the case of the broken ankle is through a steel plate and surgical rooms...). This music literally heals my ankle.
So, you see, we are much more than a broken bone!!!

My best wishes for you

Manuel
healing broken ankle

Old 09-28-2008, 11:36 PM

11 posts, read 71,040 times
Default Hey There (update on the leg)

Hey Everyone

The leg is coming along pretty well. Posted my story on the 27/8/08 with it being 10 weeks into it. Now into my 16th week and i still havnt started running propley yet but its getting stronger all the time. Just wondaring about a pain in my knee, well the inside of the knee or just under and it hurts sometimes when i extend and flex my knee. its not the rod thats inserted, also the xray shows theres no sign of it being the reason ...

Has anyone has anything similar ...??

Im heading back to Melbourne on the 31st of next month,back to full time work and going to continue at the gym. In the time iv been in New Zealand (14 weeks) i have been going to the gym, Lost 7kg of fat and gained 5kg of muscle =) really happy at that considering the leg!

Anyways hope Everyones ok and healing really fast. =)

Johnny

Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 PM

Hi Nana:

Yes, we need to feed the soul, via music, reading, and certainly helping others...

In my current situation, helping others is quite limited. BUt I have the idea to do it ASAP after my recovery... Well, finding a job is also a priority.

Yesterday I was able to walk with my crutches in front of my mother's home. I walked about 200 meters. It was a sunny afternoon. For the first time in 8 weeks I am able to do it... without the rush for going to an appointment with the O.S. or the physio... I was amazing, but at the same time I felt a little bit fearful, because I feel my painful leg, and this leg is not as skilled as it used to be... I realise that I have to keep working on my recovery path... I know that I will overcome this...
All the posts around here are very helpful for that.

My best wishes for you

Manuel
Healing broken ankle bike messenger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness