Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 33,479 times

Advertisements

Hi, Hows it going now? Are you walking o.k. now?Kind regards Barb

Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 AM

1 posts, read 17,859 times
I broke my tib and fib exactly 11 days ago.. Got 2 plates with 14 screws.. Im still in the hospital and the dr closely monitor the wound in case on infection. so far so good, healed nicely. In 2 days dr will remove the stiches and im good to go home. I've started to learn to use crutches 2 days ago.. must tell you its upleasent situation. my injured leg got more swollen after i walk around and do exercises advised by the dr. but the dr said the swollen will always come and go along the way until it full healing. Hmmm... reading from your posts, it a longggg way to go for me for recovery. What's the best foot exercise to make sure the foot mucles stays healthy and fit during the recovery period? I know I cant put any weight to the injured foot up until 6 weeks but at the meantime i dont want another muscles to be numb.. please share your experience. thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 17,902 times
Default Horse Accident - 2 Broken Legs

I, too, had a horse accident on September 25, 2007. I was riding a friend's new horse, when it started bucking uncontrollably. I quickly dismounted, with my right foot hitting the ground; however, where I ran into troubles was my left foot got caught in the stirrup. I neglected to pull it to the front, upon dismounting. Anyway, this resulted in my body pivoting 180 degrees around the right foot, which resulted in a compound fracture (shattered tibia and broken fibula) and a severed artery. My foot was literally facing the direction of the heel. By turning my foot back, the boot went in and hit the artery, stopping me from bleeding out. I also fractured my left foot in two places above the ankle. The emergency orthopedic surgeon said my right foot was the worse case he had ever seen in all his years of practice. At one point, they thought they were going to have to amputate. However, I have hurdeled every obstacle with the Lord's help (i.e., possible amputation, gang-green, rejection of plates and screws, infection setting in, and possible skin grafting). I have just begun (three months later) to put weight on my left foot. Due to my age (mid 40's), they said it could take up to a year and a half for a complete recovery of my right foot. My current concern is the shattered tibia bones needing to form a proper union (i.e., reach out and remarry eachother, becoming one again). This has been extremely mental, not knowing how I will recover. I hope and pray, I will be able to ride again. The physical therapy has been a blessing, as they encourage me and assist in regaining flexibility in the right foot. The doctor has me on 1200 mg of calcium and 1,000 mg of vitamin c. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Yar

12 posts, read 125,128 times
Rosevine,
I'm now 7 weeks into recovery. I can relate to not going out but patience is key. You don't want to rush it and aggrivate the injury. Try reading some books or puzzles to keep your mind busy. As for getting around the house...besides crutches, I used an office computer chair to roll around the house. I also play in a band so that's my plan for when we have to perform later this month. Keep doing your excerises and stretches abut don't over due it. That would be my advice.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 53,423 times
I am a 30 year old female and fell on the 5th of May/2007. I had a compound fracture of my Fibia and Tibia. They both broke the skin and came out through the front of my leg. I was in hospital for 3 weeks were they operated on me a titanium nail was inserted into my weight-bearing tibia. Five screws were used to secure it in place. I was on crutches for 5 months. Sitting in and being house bound is very annoying and I got very stressed out over.Just think when will you ever have another time just to do nothing. I was stuck in for the worst summer ever so I couldnt even sit outside. Get yourself plenty of books and day time tv is great.Im back in work now and I am raging I didnt just enjoy the time I had off instead of stressing myself out.

Quick question for anyone

It is now 7 months later and I am feeling alot of pain lately im not sure if its due to the bad weather. I cant walk very far and going to the gym is out of the question.I just have a constant pain now in my ankle. Does anyone really know how long it takes to make a full recovery ? Im due back in the hospital next friday so im hoping they can tell me more.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsala View Post
I broke my tib and fib exactly 11 days ago.. Got 2 plates with 14 screws.. Im still in the hospital and the dr closely monitor the wound in case on infection. so far so good, healed nicely. In 2 days dr will remove the stiches and im good to go home. I've started to learn to use crutches 2 days ago.. must tell you its upleasent situation. my injured leg got more swollen after i walk around and do exercises advised by the dr. but the dr said the swollen will always come and go along the way until it full healing. Hmmm... reading from your posts, it a longggg way to go for me for recovery. What's the best foot exercise to make sure the foot mucles stays healthy and fit during the recovery period? I know I cant put any weight to the injured foot up until 6 weeks but at the meantime i dont want another muscles to be numb.. please share your experience. thanks!

God my heart goes out to you I wouldnt wish it on my worse enemy. My advice is when you can weight bear try and put as much weight on it as they tell you to do no matter what the pain. I was afraid to and it delayed my recovering. No pain no gain. I am recovering from the same break 7 months ago. Im back walking now without my crutch about 2 months now.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosevine03 View Post
Hi, Hows it going now? Are you walking o.k. now?Kind regards Barb
Ye Im walking ok but the cold weather now is starting to get to me. I got back into heels and have been wearing them alot over the Christmas so i dont think that has helped.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 29,956 times
Hi all,

Like most, i recently fractured my fib and tib, spiral fracture to my tib and a couple smaller fractures to my fib. Along with a few shattred bones in the ankel. A good old traditional game of road hockey on boxing day 2007 was the culprate. Just bumping with a friend and fell inb a weird position with my friend falling ontop of me, broke it good anyways. The doctors put in the spike in my tib, and a few screws, couple at the bottom at my ankel and one more at the top. Its now jan 7 and im in my 2nd cast and still in considarable pain. I hade gone back to the hospital on the 3rd of jan to get my old cast changed. Just before i left the hospital my leg was swelling lots, so the split my hard cast in 2 and just used a tenson bandage to put it back together, but it was causing consiudarable pain evrey time i mived. So they put this cast on for another week. I go back to the docs on the 10 of jan to get all 19 staples remouved and to have more x-rays taken. From what the doc has told me, iam not alowed to weight bear for 6 weeks, then after that time they will reasses and go from there. If after 6 weeks iam alowed to start to walk again, ill be put into a walking cast for another 4 weeks. Iam not looking forward to the pysio at this time. As for someone elese who mentoned it, when i move my leg a certin way i also feel the fib gringind at the break. The doc told me that they do nothing for this bone as it is not a weight bearing bone. This is my story as of now, ill post back again in a week or 2 after i talk to the doc again.

Chris

Old 01-07-2008, 05:15 PM

22 posts, read 117,290 times
Hello, my leg isn't broken, thank heavens, but I think some of you might get some good information from a website started by a guy who had a tib-fib fracture in 1995: mybrokenleg.com

I "stumbled" on his site one time and it has diaries, discussion forums, tips, FAQ, and more. Best wishes for full recoveries to one and all.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Yar

12 posts, read 125,128 times
Default weight bearing

I broke my fib and tib just over 7 weeks ago now. I don't remember the doctor mentioning anything about weight bearing. I did try earlier this week and was able to put weight on my leg, in fact I was standing with equal weight on both legs. Quite the accomplishment. However, I don't know if I should be doing this. I don't want to do too much but at the same time I also don't want to slow down my rehab. I don't have another appointment with my doctor til Feb. 4. How long did most of you wait til you could put weight on your banged up leg?
thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness