Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 05:50 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
What you say about getting a second opinion is very true...i should get one. I have talked to my family docter/ER docters about this and they say the waiting list for a second opinion were i live is atleast a year. When I went to camp the docters there were very concerned but once i got home i couldnt keep in touch with them. It is very frustrating. This is the second speacilist I have had and neither seem to no what they are doing. I have tried to do some research on my own, on the internet but not much comes up. I found this page talking about bone spurs which could result in some of the stuff ive had but it doesn't explain others (ie.the bumps on ym tibia seem to be growing). When the holidays are over I plan to visist my school nurse. Mayeb she will have some ideas of what I should do.What you say about telling my mum is also true...I should. I have expressed to her that my leg has been hurting more over the past weeks and she seems concerned but I always dismiss it...im afraid of going to a docter and possibly finding out that there is something very wrong/I need more surgery. As for talking to other relatives i cant. My parents are split up and we are immagreants-all other family is an ocean apart. I dont want to worry her. When i tell her about how bad the pain gets she gets really upset. When I had surgery this past September and woke up in recovery i couldnt even think because of how bad the pain was. I only remember something of me between moaning and screaming untill the nurse gave me something that knocked me out. When my mum heard about this (she wasn't in recovery with me at the time) she looked terrified. I dont want to put her through having to see something like that. It is hard to keep smiling when this problem has gone on for so long. This chat will deffinitly help...it is incouraging hearing how other people improving. However, i feel somewhat bad for writing in this chat. It sounds like most people here are suffering from a broken leg. I am dealing with the effects it has had on me, not the actual broken bone itslef. I hope it is ok that is still use this chat though since what I am going through is connected to a broken leg. I also feel bad because evryone here is either on crutches or has some disability with there leg (hope you all get well soon!) and i am able to walk/somewhat run. Well, I can do the walking ok for sometime- the mall is hard because i can only walk around for 20-30 minutes or so before the pain gets to bad-stairs hurt alot at times, but running sets it off almost immediatly and puts me down for days. (bad because i still need a gym credit to grduate). Its very interesting because somedays I have no pain at all and then others times really bad. Or, when I am just sitting somewere it will randomly flare up. I am happy to hear you had a good Christmas. Enjoy watching Sex and the City. Also, congrtultions on being able to stand in the shower. It was months before I was able to do that! When i first broke my right leg I had also broken my left ankle and cracked my breast bone. I hope you will do well in PT-I never went...Well, i guess i have gone on another rant. I should get going. Get well soon and thanks again for the advice! BTW I a 16 and live in Ontario.
Hi, I blew into this post to get info for someone else and saw a few of your post. I admit I haven't read everything..

I have a daughter around your age and will say that as a mother, I'd really want to know about this. I know you say she'd be worried but it's what mothers do best, we take care of our kids.

If you can, get yourself a small notebook and track when your leg flares up. Also try to pay attention to what you are eating & drinking.

I have a neighbor that suffers from the Gout. Now, I just looked it up, you can find it here, also check google. If you go to the top of the page, you can click where it says images. Look at the pictures, see if what you see looks like your leg.

With my neighbor and I'm not exactly sure if there are 2 types of Gout, when he eats shrimp or french fries that were cooked in the same grease as shrimp, it flares up, and from what you're describing, it sounds like his problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
I've been trying to get an answer to this but its not easy. Maybe some of you could help me?
I fractured my Tibia in four places in August 24th 08. I had screws put in with a Rod. And now I have pain in my ankle where most of the screws are.
Is there anyone who has had screws in their ankle and had pain, then had them removed and the pain was gone?
Or is it possible if I wait a little longer that maybe the pain will just go away?
Has anyone left in the screws and been relatively pain free?
I don't have any insurance so I wouldn't want to spend the money if time will heal it. I know I should speak with my Doctor but its impossible to get any kind of straight answer......

thanks a ton for anything you guys could offer!!
IMO, you're too fresh out of surgery to say if it will or won't help. I had rods & screws put in my back 2 years ago, I can feel them, so will be looking to have everything removed. You need to heal for a year before you really know what type of pain you'll have.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:40 PM

29 posts, read 91,293 times
Roselvr
Thanks for the concern. My leg doesn't look likte that though=( If it did I would be over the top happy cause I would finnaly know whats going on. I have talked with my mum this weekened but she says just wait till it gets worse before seeing the orthopedic surgeon.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Roselvr
Thanks for the concern. My leg doesn't look likte that though=( If it did I would be over the top happy cause I would finnaly know whats going on. I have talked with my mum this weekened but she says just wait till it gets worse before seeing the orthopedic surgeon.
Going to shut down for the night but want to add this link for you - RSD - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy symptoms - see if this matches what you're left with.

I'll try to come back tomorrow to read the rest of your posts.
You're much too young to be dealing with pain like this.

(((HUGS)))

Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 21,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
I have a few questions for anyone who graduated from a cast to a boot. Does the circulation get better with the boot? Right now (in a cast) if I have my leg down for too long, it begins to turn purple from lack of blood flow. I get my boot on Wednesday and am hoping that I will no longer have that problem. I realize I'll still have swelling, but if the circulation is better, I'll be a very happy woman.

What did the first steps in the boot feel like? After having this cast on for six weeks, and getting used to NWB, I think that I'm going to be so uncoordinated to actually step on it.

And how much walking can be done when you first get into the boot? The nurse at the hospital told me that if I overdo it, I can cause a stress fracture and rebreak it, so now I'm totally paranoid.

Thanks, guys!

Cristina,

I don’t want to worry you, so remember even though we all have similar breaks we are all different. I was in a lower leg cast (1” below the knee to my toes) for six weeks also. When I received my Cam Boot my leg hadn’t healed at all yet (my doc was still giving me the everything still appears to be in place speech). I’m 6’3” and have some pretty big feet so I required one of the larger Cam Boots (guessing yours will be smaller than mine was). Anyway, to answer your questions: My cast was essentially cut back off once they put it on and they wrapped it with an Ace Bandage so the cast could expand and contract with swelling (is yours like this?). Mine would separate over a 1/4” at the seams when my leg wasn’t elevated. I used to eat sitting on the counter top because I couldn’t stand having my foot/leg touch the floor. I knew I was finished eating when I couldn’t feel my foot and my toes were a dark purple. The Cam Boot basically disguises these conditions because its fabric so you don’t get that high pressure feeling when your leg starts to swell. My foot would still go numb and I would just monitor my toe color more closely so I knew when to elevate. The downfall is that it is a lot heavier than a cast; I weighed mine, and it was like 7lbs. Due to the weight it felt like it was pulling my leg off. It was also very uncomfortable when waking (with crutches) because when you swing forward and land with your good leg it would jar the boot a little causing a lot of pain. I pretty much hated the thing for about two weeks, but then like everything else I got used to it. Mine was locked for three months and for one of those months I was still NWB. Once it was unlocked I basically had to learn to walk with it all over again. I never did walk, full weight bearing with the boot, my doc put me in an Air Cast after I had the Boot for five or so months, and that was long before I was 100% weight bearing. It has a really thick sole so it’s hard to straighten your knee all the way; you’ll stand lop sided. Even though I hated it so much at first we did become very good friends! When I got it they told me I could take it off to shower… Yeah right??? I wrapped that bad boy up just like my cast and wore it in the shower. I wasn’t taking any chances of slipping without protection! lol Also, he told me I had to sleep in it when I first got it (just incase I rolled over in my sleep). Well… When he finally said I could take it off when I was at home and during sleeping; I couldn’t sleep without it! It had become my blue blanket (Linus. Charlie Brown??) After a few trial runs and about three week later I was finally comfortable enough to sleep without it…
Also, you know those thin socks they put on your leg before they cast over it?? Make sure you asked for some to wear when your leg is in the Boot. It cuts down on rubbing and keeps your Boot much fresher (yes, your foot will sweat like a mother!!).

You will be fine!!! Best of luck!!!

Ry

Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Roselvr
Thank you for all your concern. The support this site gives is wounderful. That last link you sent me is great. I will keep it in mind and mention it to my OS when ever I get to see him again. Thanks again!
Terrosizer

Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 PM

190 posts, read 542,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Happy new year to everyone!
January 28th 2007 I was skating and broke my tib and fib, can't believe two years has gone by. Sure didn't feel like the pain would never end.. The dull pain finally ended sometime during the summer.
I still have the plate and the screws on my right leg , cancelled my Ortho appointment in December, it was a hard decision to make though. I have decided to keep the hardware, not brave enough to go through the surgery..

To everyone on this site thank you soo much for being their for me, you were my biggest support and without you I don't know what my emotions would have been like.

CHIN UP EVERYONE!! Trust me the pain will go away......

Nel
Dear Nel, I think YOU are the one who was a huge inspiration to everyone. each one of the posts i read from you was always a great positive pick me up for the intended person/s. I am so glad to hear someone has had a happy ending! Monica

Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
Hello,
I've been trying to get an answer to this but its not easy. Maybe some of you could help me?
I fractured my Tibia in four places in August 24th 08. I had screws put in with a Rod. And now I have pain in my ankle where most of the screws are.
Is there anyone who has had screws in their ankle and had pain, then had them removed and the pain was gone?
Or is it possible if I wait a little longer that maybe the pain will just go away?
Has anyone left in the screws and been relatively pain free?
I don't have any insurance so I wouldn't want to spend the money if time will heal it. I know I should speak with my Doctor but its impossible to get any kind of straight answer......

thanks a ton for anything you guys could offer!!

Blck Dmnd
Dear BD, i have similar hardware and pain, but in the same spot as you sort of. Maybe we can learn together. But I ope you have some relief!!!
Monica

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Roselvr
WHY WHY WHY wait till it gets worse????? Is anyone with me on this? It makes like no sense at all. It sounds like this OS needs his lic. revoked if he has this young lady too scared to talk to her own dr. GOD I'd like to strangle this guy What an arse!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance00 View Post
Cristina,

I don’t want to worry you, so remember even though we all have similar breaks we are all different. I was in a lower leg cast (1” below the knee to my toes) for six weeks also. When I received my Cam Boot my leg hadn’t healed at all yet (my doc was still giving me the everything still appears to be in place speech). I’m 6’3” and have some pretty big feet so I required one of the larger Cam Boots (guessing yours will be smaller than mine was). Anyway, to answer your questions: My cast was essentially cut back off once they put it on and they wrapped it with an Ace Bandage so the cast could expand and contract with swelling (is yours like this?). Mine would separate over a 1/4” at the seams when my leg wasn’t elevated. I used to eat sitting on the counter top because I couldn’t stand having my foot/leg touch the floor. I knew I was finished eating when I couldn’t feel my foot and my toes were a dark purple. The Cam Boot basically disguises these conditions because its fabric so you don’t get that high pressure feeling when your leg starts to swell. My foot would still go numb and I would just monitor my toe color more closely so I knew when to elevate. The downfall is that it is a lot heavier than a cast; I weighed mine, and it was like 7lbs. Due to the weight it felt like it was pulling my leg off. It was also very uncomfortable when waking (with crutches) because when you swing forward and land with your good leg it would jar the boot a little causing a lot of pain. I pretty much hated the thing for about two weeks, but then like everything else I got used to it. Mine was locked for three months and for one of those months I was still NWB. Once it was unlocked I basically had to learn to walk with it all over again. I never did walk, full weight bearing with the boot, my doc put me in an Air Cast after I had the Boot for five or so months, and that was long before I was 100% weight bearing. It has a really thick sole so it’s hard to straighten your knee all the way; you’ll stand lop sided. Even though I hated it so much at first we did become very good friends! When I got it they told me I could take it off to shower… Yeah right??? I wrapped that bad boy up just like my cast and wore it in the shower. I wasn’t taking any chances of slipping without protection! lol Also, he told me I had to sleep in it when I first got it (just incase I rolled over in my sleep). Well… When he finally said I could take it off when I was at home and during sleeping; I couldn’t sleep without it! It had become my blue blanket (Linus. Charlie Brown??) After a few trial runs and about three week later I was finally comfortable enough to sleep without it…
Also, you know those thin socks they put on your leg before they cast over it?? Make sure you asked for some to wear when your leg is in the Boot. It cuts down on rubbing and keeps your Boot much fresher (yes, your foot will sweat like a mother!!).

You will be fine!!! Best of luck!!!

Ry
Dear Christina, I think everyone is definatly different because I loved the cam boot from the minute i received it. It is heavy and bulky but you can take it off when you need some relief. One thing i highly reccomend is when you finally start practicing walking, wear a shoe with a heel of equal height to the cam boot or you will be walking all lopsidied which doesn't work too well. I haven't noticed any diff. in circulation, but I have been at the point where i havent had to keep my leg elevated for several weeks now. My foot is def. a much darker shade and I am going to ask the PT about it, but I do sleep in it because the weight of the comforter ends up pushing the foot/leg over and since the tib is still broke clear in half, well it justs like heck, but hell yea I take that bad boy off to get in the shower, though I still keep my seat in there. At first I get in and sit, then stand for a couple of mins., sit when I feel tired etc. so on. But I think you will have to learn your own limitations and set your own boundaries with what good things you can do and know where you need to draw the line. I so hope your trip goes well, I am just so excited for you.
Monica

Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 PM

I would like to do that to..but its against the law. Anyways I feelterrible, shivering, headache, leg hurts (muscles feel like the constantly contracting, probly make my mum take me to hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness