Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 14,998 times

Advertisements

My Daughter Had Tib/fib Fractures And The Doc Used Two Plates And Nine Screws To Repair. Shouldn't The Screws Be Flush With The Plates? You Can Actually See The Screw Heads Under The Skin. No Mention Of Future Removal Has Been Suggested By Her Doctor.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 29,892 times
Default broken tibia and fibula

hello my story is i fell at a haunted house 10-26-07
Before i entered the haunted house i slipped on a wet wooden ramp and broke both bones
had surgery and now am trying to heal.
does anyone have suggestions on not feeling so helpless or another way to get around besides these stupid crutches.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I can't use crutches because they hurt my shoulder and neck and so give me headaches. At times when I broke my little toe I had to crawl on the floor.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 14,974 times
Default Frustrated

I suppose I was lucky in that I did not have to have surgery. I fell in the shower (I tell everyone I was skateboarding) and broke my tib just above the ankle and my fib just below the knee. I went to the hosp. that morning on Oct. 18th and was given painkillers (percocett and morphine) and was released that evening. I was in a splint for two weeks and then a long-leg cast for three weeks. I just got a walking boot three days ago and was told to wait one more week and then start bearing 50% weight. I was very dissapointed to find that the pain is now worse than when I was in the cast and the swelling in my foot is not reducing. Additionally, my knee is stiff and hurts when I try to bend it. Does anyone know when the swelling will go down and/or if it is normal to feel a clicking when I move my leg? After reading all of the threads, I am wondering if I should look into physio. Any thoughts? I am also now concerned about a limp. I am trying to be possitive but I want this to be over already. I will hang in there and remember that it could have been worse. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshon View Post
My Daughter Had Tib/fib Fractures And The Doc Used Two Plates And Nine Screws To Repair. Shouldn't The Screws Be Flush With The Plates? You Can Actually See The Screw Heads Under The Skin. No Mention Of Future Removal Has Been Suggested By Her Doctor.
Hi Eshon! I had a head on collision in 1992, and broke just about everything!
(also managing to die twice on the operating table)! I had a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula, which was fixed by inserting the plates and 10 screws. As a petite woman, 5'3", 100lbs, I had a problem...the plates were too large for me, seriously! (my DR said this to me after the fact)! Long story short...I had the plate and screws removed 6 years later and what a difference!!! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is having pain and are fully healed, obviously. I also had a pin and screws in my femur (sp?)
that were removed 3 after years...the pin had been rubbing into my hip bone, and was causing scar tissue I guess...hope this helped, Good luck to your daughter!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 80,848 times
jendubb and jessaka,
I would really recommend renting a portable wheelchair for a month or two. Mine ran me about $75.00, and it was out of pocket, but it was worth it. I wish I had it before my second fall (after my leg had two fractures, I was in a splint and on crutches). My shoulder had a fracture from that fall, and I think the muscle was hurt also...hard to lift arm, but it really is getting better. My leg fractures and surgery for a rod and screws in my tibia happened at the end of August. I have a lot more movement now, and I didn't have phys. therapy, I've just worked it myself. Yes, I get stiff at times (some is just from age), and I still have some swelling in my ankle. Some pain comes at night, but even that is manageable. The shoulder pain was worse than the leg pain. Sleeping is a lot better, too, except trying to be comfortable with my shoulder. Everyday, I can feel my leg getting back to normal, and I have less limping.
My knee would get stiff...either hard to bend, or hard to straighten, depending on what position it was in. Now, I just have problems kneeling on the floor, but that is getting better, too. Everyone should remember that healing takes time and patience. Good luck to the whole group of people who have gone through this similar ordeal...it does help to write about it.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I never thought of renting a wheel chair. If I ever need crutches again I will.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 14,938 times
Unhappy ankle/foot swelling after leg injury

Broke left tib-fib 6 wks ago (10/24). Internal rod placed, two screws. Leg itself doing well: infrequent, mild discomfort at actual break site (lower shin). Only taking Motrin @ every 10-12 hours. Most sig. problem is ankle/foot swelling. Does not seem to have gone down hardly at all since accident. Some discomfort relieved when elevated, in bed, etc. but swelling, tightness always there and more pronounced when up and down position. No weight-bearing yet, maybe think about it after my next visit to MD (mid-Dec).
Getting by around house, limited outside w/crutches and walker. Even drove my car a few times (thank god for automatic trans!)... but swelling and discomfort is starting to depress me. Am in medicine- was doing all my own rehab/PT exercises at home myself but now going to ask MD for PT/Rehab referral. A nurse I work with says a fam member had similar prob and she went to PT/Rehab and they used hydrotheapy and some type of (?electric) stim. therapy which really helped speed up the swelling reduction. Has anyone tried this or heard about it? Also, how long can I expect to have this problem...how long before I will at least see some noticeable decrease? I keep reading everyone saying it takes time but are we talking 2-3 months, 4-6? more? Any input or support appreciated!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 42,738 times
Default some answers

i hope this helps

definatly do as much stretching and exercise as possible, it will shorten the limping stages.....so that confirms "yes"...the electro stuff helps big time, hydro is a must while you are non weight bearing as it is the only place you can actually walk(exercise). from my experience (wish i had done this) pull your big toe towards you ( a good stretch) and keep it flexable- this will reduce the limp later

as for walking properly....i am 5 months after my fracture and am slowly getting over the limp, it is not 100% but is getting close. my physio tapes up my leg which makes certain muscles start to work again, he also does acupuncture, the electro stuff, deep tissue releases.....i go 3 times a week and is the best thing you can do.
remember it will be more painful and you will limp more at first when the muscles you have not been using start to work again.

as for nerves....apparently they heal at 1mm per day. it took a while for any abnormal sensation to subside.

as for getting around the house in the first stages (like getting your cup of coffee from the kitchen to the lounge)-use an office chair with wheels - sweet as!

also if it feels like the bone is crushing together - it is possibly a good thing ( i am not a doctor but) this will stimulate more callus formation and make the fracture heal. Personnally i had to go for a second operation to remove the distal locking screws (near the ankle) to allow this to happen. It worked but is still going slow and i may require a bone graft in march if there is no significant improvement by then

best of luck to everybody

Old 12-06-2007, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 29,892 times
Default Healing

I love this web site i don't feel so alone please keep all info coming it helps to know that other people experience the same physical and mental emotions.
5 weeks from surgery today and my Dr. says start trying to put some pressure on it with the crutches and boot. i start pt tuesday and hopefully by x-mas i will be full weight bearing (so he says)
God Bless and Good luck to everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness