U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Nevada
1,867 posts, read 3,850,266 times
Reputation: 995
Smile Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery

Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you

 
Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 PM
 
2,835 posts, read 6,989,902 times
Reputation: 1553
It's like childbirth, everyone will have a different story. I broke my ankle on both sides, had screw on both sides. (I think that is the same bone as leg bone) I honestly didn't have much pain at all. It took me about 6 months to a yr to walk without a limp, about 3 years where I could lift myself from a squatting position with just that leg. I knew someone who had the same break as me, she stayed on pain killers and was still taking them years later. My dr asked me after the first week or so, "How's the pain, are you taking the pain killers?" I said "Only at night to help me sleep" Well...I was cut off and switched to tylenol. Be careful of getting addicted to them, I was lucky to have a Dr. who cared to look for that.
Now, 10 yrs. later, it's just a scar...
Another tip...when you do start walking, try with all your might to scout out the ground in front of you 10 ft ahead, then look up and hold your head up while walking. I met a person in rehab with a really screwed up neck because they had fell and injured their knee, then had a fear of falling again, so always looked at the ground.
Also...If you don't have a cast and can move your leg and foot, get a dr. or therapist to give you excercises so you don't loose mobility. Move your foot up and down and left to right as much as you can.
Good Luck...the most challenging part of being temporarily disabled is the mental aspect of it all. Most people don't understand this.
 
Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
 
1 posts, read 95,352 times
Reputation: 32
Default fixation surgery

My husband had fixiation surgery on june 8th 07 for a compound fracture of the tibia. He also had several fractures of the fibula. He had the surgery on the same day as the accident(which was caused by a 1/2 ton machine falling onto his leg). The rehabilatation has been extremely slow, and he is in near constant pain. He has had severe swelling which only goes down slightly when his foot is highly elevated. He started physio about a month ago, which he has 3x a week. All the doctors will say is that it will just take time too heal. He has to go back in hospital on wednesday(22nd) to have the 2 bottom screws removed, which will put him back a few steps!!!!! Sometimes it is extremely frustrating for him and me, as he is usually so active(he coaches youth rugby) and im not used to having to do everything at home!!! also he has 2 very sore and open wounds, one where the bone actualy came out of the leg, and the other where the screw were inserted. The seem to be taking forever to heal-but the consultant has said that he will re-stitch them to see if that works. It has been a complete nightmare, i never thought that it would be so hard going. Also he cannot fully weight bear yet, so when he is not hobbling about on crutches, i am having to push him around in a wheelchair(which he finds so embarrassing) !! I would be grateful to hear of anyone else who has had similar surgery and the time taken to fully heal!!!!
 
Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
8,015 posts, read 15,584,648 times
Reputation: 4166
Ask your doctor obout water theraphy.
 
Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Nevada
1,867 posts, read 3,850,266 times
Reputation: 995
Default Fixation

Hello! I'm the guiy who started this post. My fixation surgery was back on July 13th, broke the Tibia in one place & fibula in two. I'm still on crutches, I cant wait until i can walk. I can put very little pressure on the leg. I'm still in pain as well, but i gave up on the Lortab- the side effects were horrible, all i take now is Ibroprofin. I go to Rehab 3 times a week as well. I have no clue when i'll be able to walk, hopefully soon, i'm getting bored. My foot is swollen pretty bad, most of the leg swelling did go down.

My bone didnt break all the way through the skin, partially it did.

Juts curious but why are they removing his screws? Mine they said will stay in.

Is he leaving the rod in or taking it out later? Some remove it, some leave it in, i havent decided long term just yet.

I'm very curious my self on how long until most people can walk again after fixation surgery.

Good luck, hope he heals soon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine1976 View Post
My husband had fixiation surgery on june 8th 07 for a compound fracture of the tibia. He also had several fractures of the fibula. He had the surgery on the same day as the accident(which was caused by a 1/2 ton machine falling onto his leg). The rehabilatation has been extremely slow, and he is in near constant pain. He has had severe swelling which only goes down slightly when his foot is highly elevated. He started physio about a month ago, which he has 3x a week. All the doctors will say is that it will just take time too heal. He has to go back in hospital on wednesday(22nd) to have the 2 bottom screws removed, which will put him back a few steps!!!!! Sometimes it is extremely frustrating for him and me, as he is usually so active(he coaches youth rugby) and im not used to having to do everything at home!!! also he has 2 very sore and open wounds, one where the bone actualy came out of the leg, and the other where the screw were inserted. The seem to be taking forever to heal-but the consultant has said that he will re-stitch them to see if that works. It has been a complete nightmare, i never thought that it would be so hard going. Also he cannot fully weight bear yet, so when he is not hobbling about on crutches, i am having to push him around in a wheelchair(which he finds so embarrassing) !! I would be grateful to hear of anyone else who has had similar surgery and the time taken to fully heal!!!!
 
Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 AM
 
Location: NE Florida
17,713 posts, read 20,463,056 times
Reputation: 43079
Positiveone
My husband broke his thigh bone in 3 places, fractured his hip and broke his wrist in a car accident 15 years ago.
He has a rod running along the thigh bone screws at the top and bottom of the rod. a plate and screws in his wrist.
They left all the hardware in.
His xrays are very cool looking.
He said a lot of the pain and swelling can be from the surgery, You don't really want to know how they get the rod in there. But the surround tissue takes a beating.
The physical therapy is going to be a big help it is not easy but so worth it.
I will ask him how long it was before he started walking.

sending positive thoughts to you and also to nadines husband

karla
 
Old 08-21-2007, 01:31 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,132 posts, read 1,510,168 times
Reputation: 1044
Default surgery

My husband was in a motorcycle accident back in 2001 broke his lower leg. acutally shattered bones in a thousand pieces, anyway the night of the accident he was out if it. i went to the hospital and notices his foot was purple and ice cold. i alterted the nurses then they called the doctor in and they had to go in and do a faciotomy. where they make an incision on the inside of the leg to releive the pressure and drain the water. well they waited too long and after they did that the incision had to be left open so the swelling could go down enough to close it up. he also had an external fixator on. he was in the hospital for one month then rehab for one month. then 4 more months at home with fixator on and no walking allowed at all. he now walks with a cane has no feeling in lower let at all and foot, has foot drop and is always in pain. no matter the drugs for pain, it does nothing so he deals with it. it takes a long time you must be patient.
yes he still rides.
deb
 
Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 PM
 
1 posts, read 95,150 times
Reputation: 23
Unhappy Freak Horse Accident; Broken Leg and Heart

I am a 29 yr old female and I broke my tibia and fibula, each in one place on August 11th. It was a freak horse accident. The horse in front of us got spooked and set off a chain reaction. I was on an English saddle and had nothing to hold on to when my horse reared its head (I am not an experienced rider). I fell off my horse and fell on my buttom. The horse in front of me took of and one hoof landed on my lower left leg. It did not break through the skin, THANK GOD. I have been told the pain is comparable to child birth, and I believe it. I guess I am prepared for the future. I had emergency sugery that afternoon. I have a rod in my tibia and two screws. I am still in a bit of pain but not as much as I thought I would be. I am on vicodin and was on percocet. The vicoden does not seem to subside the pain but its all I've got.

This may be a silly question, but when did all of your or your loved ones begin to sleep without pillows under your legs for elevation. I go and see the doc on Monday and am scared. I think I am healing well but I have never been injured like this before and have never known someone who has had this type of injury. I am already going stir crazy (I am a workaholic). I have been working from home this week and am thinking of going back to wotk on Tuesday (I have an desk job). Do you have an advice on that as well. I rented a wheel chair so I can keep my foot up.

Anyhow, I wish all of you and yours a speedy recovery. It is a loooonnnngg and lonely road.
 
Old 08-25-2007, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Nevada
1,867 posts, read 3,850,266 times
Reputation: 995
Default keep it elevated

I know what you mean, and sorry to hear about the accident. I broke mine Tib/Fib back on July 3rd, i see the doctor again on sept 4th. As of right now i'm still keeping my leg/foot elevated as much as possible. They say if you keep blood and fluids out of the leg then it will heal much faster.

But i gave up on most pain meds, all i use now is Ibroprofin, Lortab & percocet was making me sick.

I still cant walk, alot of pain when i put to much pressure on the foot.

All i can say is follow the doctors orders, keep that leg elevated above your heart level.

Good Luck







Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiedgreene View Post
I am a 29 yr old female and I broke my tibia and fibula, each in one place on August 11th. It was a freak horse accident. The horse in front of us got spooked and set off a chain reaction. I was on an English saddle and had nothing to hold on to when my horse reared its head (I am not an experienced rider). I fell off my horse and fell on my buttom. The horse in front of me took of and one hoof landed on my lower left leg. It did not break through the skin, THANK GOD. I have been told the pain is comparable to child birth, and I believe it. I guess I am prepared for the future. I had emergency sugery that afternoon. I have a rod in my tibia and two screws. I am still in a bit of pain but not as much as I thought I would be. I am on vicodin and was on percocet. The vicoden does not seem to subside the pain but its all I've got.

This may be a silly question, but when did all of your or your loved ones begin to sleep without pillows under your legs for elevation. I go and see the doc on Monday and am scared. I think I am healing well but I have never been injured like this before and have never known someone who has had this type of injury. I am already going stir crazy (I am a workaholic). I have been working from home this week and am thinking of going back to wotk on Tuesday (I have an desk job). Do you have an advice on that as well. I rented a wheel chair so I can keep my foot up.

Anyhow, I wish all of you and yours a speedy recovery. It is a loooonnnngg and lonely road.
 
Old 08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
 
1 posts, read 95,010 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
Hey there Positiveone,

I was hit by a car on April 11th, spent 2 weeks in hospital and I've been living in a rehab hospital ever since. Both my tibias were shattered - one externally and the other internally. I've got plenty of hardware in both legs (internal fixations) and unfortunately, my left leg is rejecting the titanium plates and screws (which is quite rare). So I am awaiting for more surgery to have them removed and possibly have new ones put in - hopefully my bones will be strong enough by then that I won't need to have new ones put in - keep your fingers crossed. By the way, I was standing on the sidewalk when someone was speeding, lost control of their car, and well, you know the rest. These types of fractures/breaks of the tibias or fibulas, alone or together, are VERY common with pedestrians hit by cars and I'm surprised that there aren't more people on this website posting their experiences! The rehab hospital that I'm currently in is full of car accident victims. The good news is that with physio 5 days a week, I've just started walking (with the use of a tall walker) last Thursday. Its painful as hell but at least I'm standing again! Percocets have been keeping the pain at bay and I am sleeping with my legs elevated (straight) to keep the swelling down. Actually, whenever I have the opportunity, I keep my legs elevated since gravity does its thing and the swelling starts up as soon as I get out of bed!

Positiveone, everyone heals differently (I've learned that I'm a slow healer) but keep in mind that the more exercise that you do to strengthen your lower body, the better the odds for you; not only will you build muscle, you increase the blood flow to your injured leg which helps speed up the healing process. Its been quite the journey, but as your name suggests, I hope you stay positive and I wish you - and everyone else- a full, speedy recovery.

PS. at least you have one good leg to stand on - don't ignore it but don't abuse it either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top