Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 04:32 PM

4,370 posts, read 4,334,482 times

Advertisements

I recently began having a sharp pain in my 5th MCP joint during activities which require radial deviation of the wrist or with direct pressure along the ulnar aspect of the 5th metacarpal, the MCP joint and the proximal 5th digit lateral aspect.
The pain has a sharp/electric quality but resolves promptly with straightening the wrist. I'm also having a little bit of numbness along the lateral 5th digit

I first noticed that it occurred when I would put my hands on my hips and the pain is quite intense when doing so -- to the point that I have quit putting my hands on my hips altogether.

I recall no trauma (but I play golf 2 or 3 times a week).

I have an appt to see my PCP in 2 weeks (soonest available) and I expect he'll refer to a neurologist which will likely take several more weeks for appt. I'm thinking a nerve entrapment may be the issue.

Curious if anyone out there has experience with same or similar problem and what they found.

I'm not supposed to take NSAID's due to renal issues so about all I have been able to do is use biofreeze and try not to aggravate it but that's hard to do. This morning I was helping DW with housework and moving the vacuum cleaner back and forth was problematic due to pain. I finally had to use my left (non-dominant) hand.

Come on CD, I know you can come with something!!

tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 01:08 AM

7,182 posts, read 5,033,283 times
-could be nerve entrapment, but more likley just the general calcification of bones/joints with aging (high mileage problems). The calcium deposits/deformities rub the nerves on certain movements. (We could mention exotic, unlikely diagnoses too.)

If it hurts, don't do it.....Golf is hard on the hands & wrists-- it's your pain, but golf gives you enjoment. You decide... Elastic wrist/hand supports may help by limiting motion and to help you remember to pay attention to the mechanics.

Pills usually don't help much in these situations-- a sharp stick in the eye still hurts even if you're on narcotics.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:40 AM

4,370 posts, read 4,334,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
-could be nerve entrapment, but more likley just the general calcification of bones/joints with aging (high mileage problems). The calcium deposits/deformities rub the nerves on certain movements. (We could mention exotic, unlikely diagnoses too.)

If it hurts, don't do it.....Golf is hard on the hands & wrists-- it's your pain, but golf gives you enjoment. You decide... Elastic wrist/hand supports may help by limiting motion and to help you remember to pay attention to the mechanics.

Pills usually don't help much in these situations-- a sharp stick in the eye still hurts even if you're on narcotics.
Thank you for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness