Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 04:22 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times

Advertisements

My husband and I enjoyed a little time in the woods in North Florida last weekend. When we were out, we didn’t see any insects flying around and felt nothing biting us.

However, starting the next morning, we started noticing really itchy bites scattered everywhere on our bodies. I have a few everywhere except on my scalp, my palms and the soles of my feet. I have bites in places that were completely covers by clothing and parts that were not covered by clothing. I have them where my flesh is tender and juicy and where it is tough and unappealing. I even have one on my eyelid and one really close to the sole of my foot (on the side where the skin is tough, but is still not the sole, and by the way was completely covered by my socks and sneakers. I have one right smack in the middle of my forehead, on my arms, underarms, stomach, back, crotch, legs, etc. Two days later, bites are still emerging and itching like crazy.

What the heck bit us? Any ideas?

Again, we didn’t notice anything out in the field.

We know about the tick risk and had applied insect repellent before the beginning of the outing. I noticed precisely one tick on me during the outing and brushed it off. Later that day when taking a shower and then looking obsessively, I found two ticks — one large lone star tick and one much smaller deer tick. My husband didn’t find any ticks. I got the ticks removed and got prophylactic antibiotics.

Could all the rest of these bites be tick bites from ticks that we somehow didn’t see although we obsessively searched for them? Also, I didn’t think ticks bites were that itchy?

I would think chiggers, but chigger bites are usually concentrated in one area and not scattered at random everywhere.

Mosquitoes are usually all too obvious and we didn’t notice any insects ….

So, what do you think these could have been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 04:29 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Perhaps you could post a picture of those bites?

You said: "Two days later, bites are still emerging and itching like crazy."

You get new bites at home? You brought them home with you from the outing? Did you stay in a hotel overnight?

Did you wash all your clothes, inspected your bed and upholstery? They must be hiding somewhere...
https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-dest...Bugs-That-Bite

Anything looks familiar?
https://www.prevention.com/health/g3...bite-pictures/

Last edited by elnina; 06-21-2022 at 04:45 AM..

Old 06-21-2022, 04:54 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
No, we didn’t stay in a hotel overnight. Just a day trip.

I’m actually not sure how to upload photos, but I can describe them. They are small, mostly 5mm or less, red, slightly raised with one spot in the center.

Some seem to be in clusters, but there are also singletons scattered randomly

Old 06-21-2022, 05:09 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Take a picture on your phone. Check on focus and sharpness.
Go to https://postimages.org/, upload that picture there. Copy a link that says:
Hotlink for forums.
Post that link here.

Also check on the second link I posted above.(post#2)

Could be fleas?
Outdoors, fleas prefer moist, shady, cool places. They especially like shrubs, leaves, and trees...

Old 06-21-2022, 06:20 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
I don't know the official name (and I don't feel like looking it up), but it sounds like it may be what we in Florida call no-see-ums.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:35 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I don't know the official name (and I don't feel like looking it up), but it sounds like it may be what we in Florida call no-see-ums.
I was thinking "no-see-ums" also, but those like to attack the head causing bumps on your scalp.

I'm thinking now that chiggers are the most likely culprit. If a person looks closely with a magnifying glass, they can see a little red center (the chigger) in a chigger bite.

The home remedy I've used for chigger bites is to cover the bite with clear fingernail polish. This smothers the chigger and it dies... thereby stopping the itch.

Old 06-21-2022, 07:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
No, we didn’t stay in a hotel overnight. Just a day trip.

I’m actually not sure how to upload photos, but I can describe them. They are small, mostly 5mm or less, red, slightly raised with one spot in the center.

Some seem to be in clusters, but there are also singletons scattered randomly
I'm wondering if it's not bug bites at all, but poison ivy, sumac...etc.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:03 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I'm wondering if it's not bug bites at all, but poison ivy, sumac...etc.
Yeah, given that they used bug spray and they didn't notice anything...that's what I'm thinking. Especially considering it got in places that bugs normally don't get to. Some plant matter that's irritating got to them and their sweat and whatnot "transported" the lovely venom or whatever.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:01 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
My vote is Nosees or Chiggers. The Chiggers are the worst and bites can show up for a few days after you got them.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:07 PM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Fleas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness