U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 05:25 PM

15,179 posts, read 24,348,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
It has to do with the inactive ingredients used (i.e. the fillers) your body may notice the difference and cause your TSH to go higher or lower.

I used to take brand name and switched to a generic and got "re-stabilized" on that generic. It could just be a short term change that eventually levels out, or it could cause you to have to go to a higher or lower dose.

Ideally, you just don't want to switch brands often.
Yeah my mother used to take Procardia. She could not take any of the generics. They didn’t work. Happens sometimes.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:07 PM

15,600 posts, read 10,626,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've heard that before, but don't understand why.
What's likely to happen if you switch?

The active ingredients are the same. Some inactive ingts are different. So, if you stabilize on one you want to stay at that blood level

Same as taking Levot on empty stomach. Some people take it with meals, so Docs adjust to keep level they want for you. So don't change what or when you take the med
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 03:03 AM

1,123 posts, read 478,236 times
I've been on thyroid meds for 34 years. I've always done best when I am on brand name Synthroid from the same manufacturer. I was on brand name for a few years until insurance decided they wouldn't cover it even with a doctors note. I continued to pay out of pocket for it for a while, but then the pharmacy hassled me because my doctor wasn't writing the prescription properly and they would give me the generic or I'd have to wait for days before she would fix it. After fighting with the doctor and pharmacy every single time I needed a new prescription I gave up and went to the generic. And bam, within a month or two, low thyroid, high TSH requiring increased dose of levothyroxine. Every time I get a refill or new prescription the pill looks different (sometimes its round, sometimes long shaped for instance). When getting a generic you are at the mercy of whatever they have in supply which can change according to cost and availability. It's really a nightmare for me. I hate those long style pills because I find they dissolve in my mouth before I can get them down, unless I have a glass of water in hand and ready to swallow as soon as the pill hits my mouth.

I also learned hypothyroidism and anemia go hand in hand recently. I already knew for years that these thyroid meds increase risk of low bone density and are partly to blame for why I had such a crazy low bone density scan at age 34 just one year into surgical menopause which could not have cause my spine to be -3.2 T score so soon, but certainly the 18 years of taking my thyroid meds by that time could have. But without my thyroid meds I go downhill very fast. I tried going without in college and was bedridden.

There are so many different manufactures with little differences in the "other ingredients" in these meds I would think it would be very hard to track them all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness