U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 09:04 AM

2,237 posts, read 1,010,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Your stubborn resistance to understanding what people are saying will sabotage you.
Sabotage me in what way, exactly. In order to be sabotaged you need to have some kind of project and goal which I don’t. I’m just posting out of curiosity, playing devil’s advocate, etc.

Quote:
The REASON to read the Caregiving forum is to EDUCATE yourself what her future holds IF she has dementia. THAT is what you asked …
That’s not what I asked.

Quote:
but I guess true research is something she's not deserving of. You want a quick and dirty answer that agrees with you, right?
Sounds like you need someone to agree with you.

Quote:
Like "is there a magic pill yes or no?"

Ahoy there! My mother is the one looking for the magic pill. Not me. I’m sure the whole thing will be pretty hellish …

Quote:

I mean it's totally RIDICULOUS. You say you're looking for people to agree with YOU that there is no reason for someone to go to a neurologist but you refuse to actually EDUCATE YOURSELF on the subforum that's got decades of information on the topic even after being advised as such.
Sorry, I’m not visiting your sub-forum. Why? Because I’m not caregiver … among other reasons.

Quote:
Why are you even involved at all? Are you one of these "children" who can't extract themselves from the drama? (PROTIP)
So, posting one thread in an Internet forum is a “drama” from which I cannot “extract myself?” I assure you amount of contact I have with my Mother is quite limited.

However, she is my mother. Thus one would think a teensy bit of investment might be OK?

Quote:
Also hilarious that you've chosen to argue with a bunch of strangers about your unresolved relationship with this mother.
My relationship with my mother is resolved. I realize she is deeply flawed and do my best to keep my distance. I have seen her precisely once in the past five years and we rarely speak.

Quote:
The abusive woman who ruined your life is going to deal with her health. Butt out.
She was abusive, but hasn’t ruined my life. I’ve had an amazing life. “Butt out.” You know, she is the one who is attempting to involve me (guess who initiated two recent phone calls about this subject? Not me!) and I am the one who is keeping my distance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 10:03 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,304,510 times
Sounds like you're doing the right stuff and you've gotten some good answers here:

*Rule out other illness

*Find a medication to slow the progress

*Watch for signs of mental illness

*And finally, and maybe most important, providing you with a knowledgeable source of information and support for the tough decisions you'll have to make in the near future.

My husband's neurologist has told him he has Alzheimer's and prescribed Aricept. It's hard for me to know if he would be worse if he weren't taking it, of course. But I've just had to turn over some trust to her.

I also drop her a note every four months or so stating my concerns regarding his behavior in hope that she can help when the big decisions come.

In my experience with my parents now is the time to get her on a list for care. It takes time for an opening in many cases. Check with a county social worker.

And good luck. This will be a new experience with some real challenges.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:12 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,734,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruChicken View Post
There are some informative and compassionate posts here. For the other people, please cut the OP some slack. She's looking for info, not to get dumped on.
She is not looking for info. She wants everyone to agree with her assessment of her mother and has a nasty attitude to boot.

People who keep returning to the drama they claim to detest are fooling themselves.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:31 PM

242 posts, read 139,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
She is not looking for info. She wants everyone to agree with her assessment of her mother and has a nasty attitude to boot.

People who keep returning to the drama they claim to detest are fooling themselves.
Wow. It's a tough crowd in here.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:

And yet, you keep returning to this thread. The thread that bothers you so much. Hmmmmm.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:09 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,734,585 times
Nope. It doesn’t bother me. I find people interesting, especially people who aren’t reflective.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:59 AM

19,811 posts, read 16,881,409 times
This is a tough crowd so I haven't posted anything else...BUT!
For people drawn to this topic of Dementia...I'm going to post this information for them to investigate.

An amazing youtube regarding improvement with Alzheimer's, I love' Before and Afters'. (I know senior moments and dementia are way diff from full blown Alz...but it's all about our brains.)
Note: At 1.40 you see the 'afterwards' of taking what is recommended, found in stores...I call it food for my brain, personally..
I tried it myself and was shocked how clear headed I was shopping in ONE day...sharp as a tack!
I also love not believing things, trying it for myself ..and, this, all of you can see for yourself...very cool.
Don't believe me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOR-Qd3QSg

Old 08-10-2022, 05:14 AM

19,811 posts, read 16,881,409 times
Another story:
An older lady was stocking up on B12 - 2 for one at Walgreen's 1000mg. I said, "What do you know that I don't?!"
lol. (I mean, c'mon!)

Well, she tells me about her mother, (88?) and how she was super forgetful, gave me examples.
Got her on B12, 4-5000 mcg sublinguals (those little pink pills that taste good)...and Shazam!
Her mom's memory issues were shockingly better! And gave me examples.
Something anyone could try.
Now, will posters be snotty to me now ?
I'm just sharing interesting stuff. Take it or Leave it. Peace sign emoji.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Nope. It doesn’t bother me. I find people interesting, especially people who aren’t reflective.
Actually, people who aren’t reflective are boring. Strange that you should find them interesting.

So, we have different tastes … and the world keeps on turning.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:37 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,688,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Another story:
An older lady was stocking up on B12 - 2 for one at Walgreen's 1000mg. I said, "What do you know that I don't?!"
lol. (I mean, c'mon!)

Well, she tells me about her mother, (88?) and how she was super forgetful, gave me examples.
Got her on B12, 4-5000 mcg sublinguals (those little pink pills that taste good)...and Shazam!
Her mom's memory issues were shockingly better! And gave me examples.
Something anyone could try.
Now, will posters be snotty to me now ?
I'm just sharing interesting stuff. Take it or Leave it. Peace sign emoji.
Elderly people in developed countries are likely to have either B12 deficiency or insufficiency. It causes memory loss and cognitive decline. Symptoms could be dismissed as "normal aging" and overlooked. A deficiency can even mimic Alzheimer's. Either increasing B12 foods or taking a supplement would be a good thing to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness