U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 11:25 AM

216 posts, read 106,501 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading this entire thread. I see some good points for both sides.
As for myself, I will continue to wear mine when out in public. I do it not only for others, but for myself. If you chose not to, then you do you. I won't question you about your choice and please don't question me about mine.
Remember, when this first started, There was a shortage of mask, so we were told not to go out and buy them unless you worked in the medical field. Places were shut-down because the hospitals had too many people getting sick and the workers were over worked.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-11-2022, 11:36 AM

4,959 posts, read 4,112,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfgg View Post
This whole Mess has destroyed lives and my city is a ghost town as to what it's been all the years I've lived here, a long time.
What city would that be?
Quote:
What people did in the beginning is shocking, cleaning and washing cans, bags, boxes they brought
from the markets!!!!!!! Paranoia ran their lives
It's not paranoia, it's the fear of the unknown. I admit freely that I did some of this stuff myself (wipe down things from the stores with Clorox wipes) and of course it's ridiculous to think about it now, but back then we literally knew nothing about this virus. The minute it became evident that it doesn't spread on surfaces, most people stopped all that.
Quote:
and still does for many.
Evidence of this? (By the way, wearing a mask in public doesn't count.)
Quote:
And then there are the one person driving their cars, alone, and masked up, many call them
face diapers.
What is that supposed to tell us, apart from the fact that many people still haven't outgrown elementary school-level insults?

This might be a bridge too far for you to grasp, but there are many reasons people do this. I used to think it was ridiculous, as well, until I gave it a moment's thought:

- They could be on their way to pick up another person (either Uber/Lyft or not) and that person may be immunocompromised (or not - maybe they just want to be safe just in case)
- They could be on the way from one public place to another and it makes no sense to touch a mask unnecessarily to take it off if all you're going to do is put it back on in five minutes
- They may have simply forgotten they had it on because they're not petulant children so affected by a piece of cloth on their face

Moreover, why do you care so much? Nobody is saying this is something you should do.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 08-11-2022 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-11-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I've heard that the waterways, oceans are littered with masks....OMGGGGGG
Such touching concern for the environment. Were you just as shocked when you learned about the literal islands of consumer plastic waste floating around the Pacific Ocean way before covid or nah?

Old 08-11-2022, 11:46 AM

2,897 posts, read 1,761,766 times
Haha. Really?

Never again will I wear a mask unless it's 20 below degrees outside. Hope most others agree.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Never again will I wear a mask unless it's 20 below degrees outside.
You bring up another good point. I only wish I had discovered the side benefits of wearing a mask outdoors to protect from the cold air earlier. Could have spared myself years of pain.
Quote:
Hope most others agree.
Why? What's in it for you?

Old 08-11-2022, 12:13 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,350,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You really are irony-impaired, aren't you...

(Also, it's not an insult if it's painfully obviously true. But I guess seeing it requires not actually being afflicted by it, so I can see how you'd be confused.)I honestly couldn't care less. Having extended conversations with people who will look for any reason not to change their minds, no matter how misguided they may be, isn't really a favorite pastime of mine, so on the ignore list you go.
LOL! Pure projection from the guy who is saying "I have no idea how much masks help against flu, but the one possibility I will absolutely not allow myself to consider is that they had zero effect."

Old 08-11-2022, 12:22 PM

762 posts, read 277,677 times
I don't plan on wearing a mask unless there's a special situation that requires it. And I'll try to keep one handy in case I'm in a situation where someone near me starts doing a lot of coughing.

Back before masks, I got the seasonal virus twice because someone next to me was doing a lot of coughing.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:51 PM

8,330 posts, read 10,887,724 times
Masking or not in public will depend on my calculation of risk of illness including Covid. Knowing 8-10 people that have Covid over the last few weeks and the highly contagious variant out there right now, I'm masking in public again.

I will probably always wear one on a plane. 8 out of 10 times winter plane travel ends in some kind of illness for me or my husband. It could be a simple cold or influenza. It's easy enough to keep a mask on during a flight. A crowded theater in the winter months might prompt me to wear a mask. A trip to the grocery at the same time might not. It's all about calculated risk for me.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
The longer this nightmare has gone on the more and more info has come out from people and sources all over the world. A big one is this virus mania is nothing but a bad cold
False.
Quote:
and those in weak health, very old, and major health issues were the ones hit first and it's gone on and on.
You're right. Who cares about them? Survival of the fittest, amirite?
Quote:
So so so many do not think deeply on all of this and there is mega information as I said for many many Wise and Smart sources.
Yet another victim of D-K, I see.

Here's a hint, Sparky: before you criticize others' intelligence levels, learn the basics of spelling and grammar.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 08-11-2022 at 01:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2022, 01:33 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,703,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Do they show it (actual science), or do they just say it (talking point)?

I think it's common knowledge that the flu went away everywhere, and it's common knowledge that there was (and still is!) tremendous variation in mask-wearing based on geography, so I do not think I need to cite anything.

Do you have anything showing that, say, Vermont or New York had less flu, say, than Ohio or Nebraska?
I know everyone is saying that the flu went away, but my question is then, what did the sick people have who tested negative for covid? Every day they gave percentages from testing, most were negative. A good portion of those negatives were sick with something.

Most didn't go on to the doctor to get tested for the flu, they went back home, waited 1-3 days for the PCR test results, by then they were getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.