U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 03:29 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,133,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfgg View Post
Millions are brain washed into the faulty PCR tests and I've been reading about this issue for a lot of months.
Yet you are the sole beacon and bringer of truth!
Quote:
I've never done a test and will not.
Good. You should also not do a few other things: wear a seatbelt when driving, wear a hat and a coat in snow, sunglasses/sunscreen in direct sunlight or a helmet while riding a bike. That'll show us!

(Ron White truly is a wise man among wise men...)
Rate this post positively

Old 08-11-2022, 03:42 PM

35,539 posts, read 37,708,173 times
Quote:
Millions are brain washed into the faulty PCR tests and I've been reading about this issue for a lot of months. I've never done a test and will not.
No tests are perfect. The ones available now are reliable.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:09 PM

4,960 posts, read 4,133,076 times
Quote:
We're discussing the PCR tests not a bunch of other things we do in our lives.
Actually, we aren't. You brought them up. We were discussing masks, as per the subject of this topic. But because you evidently don't understand irony, sarcasm, hyperbole or analogies, you also don't understand that your petulance regarding a rather simple protective mechanism is reminiscent to that of a child's not wanting to wear a hat when it's freezing outside. But you do you.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:50 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,809,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Masks are only part of the mitigation of covid-9. Social distancing and better hand hygiene play a part, too. Masks are not expected to eliminate transmission of the virus. They do reduce it, some types better than others.

A "natural experiment":

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

"Among 139 clients exposed to two symptomatic hair stylists with confirmed COVID-19 while both the stylists and the clients wore face masks, no symptomatic secondary cases were reported; among 67 clients tested for SARS-CoV-2, all test results were negative. Adherence to the community’s and company’s face-covering policy likely mitigated spread of SARS-CoV-2."
One of the aforementioned studies with no control group, aka junk science.

Quote:
You can roll your eyes all you want. 3M, who makes masks, recommends touching the mask as little as possible.

https://assets.alliedelec.com/v16231...37027296dd.pdf

"Don’t take your face mask on and off.
Once your mask is on, keep it on. Even if you are just getting back in your car between errands, removing your mask can get it dirty and allow potentially harmful particulates near your nose and mouth when you put it on again."
Didn't those masks, or ones like them, specifically say on the box that they didn't offer any protection against COVID-19? The masks that Dr. Noel demonstrated as doing nothing to stop aerosol particles?

Quote:
The US has never had a lockdown. The existence of a mask mandate does not mean people complied. How many have worn a mask but left the nose uncovered?
The people alone at the beach, alone in their car, outside with their kids at the park, trying to run their business and make a living who were harassed by the police might disagree about the lockdowns. I agree about the chin diapers, though--either wear a mask like you mean it or toss it.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:02 AM

35,539 posts, read 37,708,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
One of the aforementioned studies with no control group, aka junk science.
It is an observation, not a study. It still supports a protective benefit of masks.

Here is a randomized controlled trial:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...-covid-19.html

Quote:
Didn't those masks, or ones like them, specifically say on the box that they didn't offer any protection against COVID-19? The masks that Dr. Noel demonstrated as doing nothing to stop aerosol particles?
Layers write the product label.

if you were standing in front of me and I coughed straight at you, would you rather I be wearing a mask or not? How about both of us masked?

Quote:
The people alone at the beach, alone in their car, outside with their kids at the park, trying to run their business and make a living who were harassed by the police might disagree about the lockdowns. I agree about the chin diapers, though--either wear a mask like you mean it or toss it.
Who in this country has been involuntarily locked in his home?

Old 08-12-2022, 08:42 AM

8,280 posts, read 4,494,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Focusing strictly on deaths from covid is extremely myopic. There are still serious long-term health complications you can get from even a mild case. One doesn't need to be "paranoid" about covid to simply be concerned. And yes, you're correct that we typically think nothing of the other viruses (most of the time), but those are "known" (they really aren't, but we think they are) enemies. Covid still isn't. And where before people didn't care about "common viruses", now they have an extra unknown to deal with. For some that's a reason to be more sensitive to people who are coughing around them.
Yes, there is a huge psychological component to COVID. I am a physician, and we have never seen any virus play out like this in front of our eyes, on a global scale, the way COVID has. That is why there is an extra fear specifically towards COVID. And it's had major psychological impacts, that will last for decades.

The early days when nobody knew anything, the daily news reports showing the number of cases increasing, the death counts, seeing people on ventilators, etc....and on a Global Scale. It literally shut the world down. Even now, when someone coughs near you, it draws subconscious fear.

Those are psychological scars that will never heal for many. That is why COVID, specifically, will always draw fear in many people, regardless of how much it weakens. Other viruses like the flu, and others, never had that kind of psychological hold on people, so people do not fear them the same way they fear COVID.

These are some of the reasons I am overly paranoid and still am not able to return to "normal." A lot of it is psychological.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:42 AM

1,383 posts, read 911,510 times
Haven't for almost 2 years.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:46 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,809,835 times
Quote:
It is an observation, not a study. It still supports a protective benefit of masks.
From the paper: "The results of this study can be used to inform public health policy during the COVID-19 pandemic." We'd need to know how a control group did (a group of similar people doing exactly the same thing but without masks) to know whether the masks made a bit of difference.

Quote:
Here is a randomized controlled trial:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...-covid-19.html
Significance in studies refers to statistical significance. To wit, this RCT showed an absolute risk reduction in confirmed, symptomatic COVID of less than 1/10 of a percent with cloth masks; the relative risk reduction was only 9%. They don't provide absolute numbers for surgical masks, so the number can't be good.

Quote:
Layers write the product label.

if you were standing in front of me and I coughed straight at you, would you rather I be wearing a mask or not? How about both of us masked?
I'd rather you cough into your hand or stay home if you're sick. I'm not going to wear a mask on the off chance that someone is going to cough in my face.

Quote:
Who in this country has been involuntarily locked in his home?
You don't remember all the stay-at-home orders, business closures and school closures of 2020?

Old 08-12-2022, 12:42 PM

4,731 posts, read 2,952,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Other viruses like the flu, and others, never had that kind of psychological hold on people, so people do not fear them the same way they fear COVID.

These are some of the reasons I am overly paranoid and still am not able to return to "normal." A lot of it is psychological.

I've only had the flu once or twice in my 5+ decades. It's been so long since I had it I don't even remember when it was (it must have been more than 30 years ago), but I do remember it being absolutely miserable. Even though I'm not one of those who wears a mask anymore (except when I recently had covid) and I never wore one when by myself (quite the overkill, IMO), I have always had a fear of getting the flu. This hasn't manifested itself in real "fear" though (I refuse to walk around in fear), or in paranoid or OCD behavior, it has manifested itself in being disgusted at people who don't stay home when they are sick. If nothing else changes, I hope this pandemic changes that, and makes people STAY HOME WHEN YOU ARE SICK.

How silly of me to think that it might; that's how I got covid just 3 weeks ago. A coworker came to work sick, insisting that it wasn't covid (it was). I DON"T CARE WHAT YOU"RE SICK WITH. STAY HOME!!!!

Old 08-12-2022, 12:52 PM

767 posts, read 425,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
You don't remember all the stay-at-home orders, business closures and school closures of 2020?
Yes, those 2-3 weeks a lot of people stayed home 2.5 years ago were harrowing. Couldn't even get a haircut. I may never recover.

I will never forget my wife and me having a conversation about whether or not it would be ok to drive to an ATM. I don't remember why we needed cash but I do remember driving by Home Depot and it being completely slammed. Mostly in the landscaping area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.