Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 08:34 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Yes, I did 3 searches using different criteria and found nothing so I'll ask here. *fingers crossed*

I need to talk a lot in my job. (Not teaching.)

I've got a strained voice and have missed several days b/c of it.

I am currently doing these things I've learned about from Dr. Google and Dr. Youtube.

1. steaming the vocal chords.
2. Not talking or only talking when absolutely needed (called 'relative rest')
3. Not drinking cold liquids, but liquids at room temperature.
4. Yes, drinking lot of water to hydrate, which I've always done.

Is there anything else I can do?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 11:08 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Yes!

5. Go to an actual doctor, see if there's any actual damage that requires actual medical treatment.
5a. If there is, get that actual treatment.
5b. If not, rest your voice, avoid dairy and chocolate (both can irritate throats).

Old 09-05-2022, 05:21 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

Is there anything else I can do?
Check out the Singer's Saving Grace herbal throat spray. Herbs Etc. is a great company and I have used several of their products.

https://www.herbsetc.com/search.php?...Saving%20Grace

https://www.herbsetc.com/about-herbs-etc/

Old 09-05-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Yes!

5. Go to an actual doctor, see if there's any actual damage that requires actual medical treatment.
5a. If there is, get that actual treatment.
5b. If not, rest your voice, avoid dairy and chocolate (both can irritate throats).
Thank you, Ghaati.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Check out the Singer's Saving Grace herbal throat spray. Herbs Etc. is a great company and I have used several of their products.

https://www.herbsetc.com/search.php?...Saving%20Grace

https://www.herbsetc.com/about-herbs-etc/
Much appreciated, capoeira.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:18 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
I agree with Ghaati. A normal amount of talking shouldn't leave you like with a strained voice, let alone for days on end, and it might be best to find out what's going on.

In the meantime, warm tea with honey and lemon (or some people will say whisk{e}y), gargle with warm salt water, tea ingredients like licorice root/wild cherry bark/marshmallow root/slippery elm bark (check any contraindications with medications you're taking), NSAIDs for pain and inflammation, etc.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:05 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
A couple points--

Talking, even all day, everyday at work should not strain the vocal cords. Even if it does occasionally, a night's rest should restore it.

Yelling, prolonged singing (as in professional singing) may strain the vocal cords. Repeated insult like that may lead to polyps on the cords and require surgery.

Tumors-- benign polyps or cancer, must be ruled out by expert physical examination.

Food /diet should not make any difference at all-- unless you have a problem with dysphagia/regurgitation-- another reason for a good physical exam/medical consultation.

I once had a patient who was an Elvis impersonator. He came in complaining of a URI with hoarseness, and he had to perform a show on the weekend. What could he do about the voice?...I told him that Enrico Caruso used to put bourbon in an atomizer and spray his throat prior to performances to loosen his vocal cords....Elvis was all smiles at that news and greatly encouraged. As the pt. was about to go thru the door, I added, "Of course Caruso died young of throat cancer."....Elvis cancelled his performance.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I agree with Ghaati. A normal amount of talking shouldn't leave you like with a strained voice, let alone for days on end, and it might be best to find out what's going on.
With my job I had to basically talk non-stop all day for many, many, days on end. I won't do it again, though.

Yes, I may get a medical opinion.

Quote:
In the meantime, warm tea with honey and lemon (or some people will say whisk{e}y), gargle with warm salt water, tea ingredients like licorice root/wild cherry bark/marshmallow root/slippery elm bark (check any contraindications with medications you're taking), NSAIDs for pain and inflammation, etc.
Cheers for the above info. Will some of these to what I'm doing.

I only take finesteride (hair).

Maybe NSAIDs would help?

TIA.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A couple points--

Talking, even all day, everyday at work should not strain the vocal cords. Even if it does occasionally, a night's rest should restore it.

Yelling, prolonged singing (as in professional singing) may strain the vocal cords. Repeated insult like that may lead to polyps on the cords and require surgery.

Tumors-- benign polyps or cancer, must be ruled out by expert physical examination.

Food /diet should not make any difference at all-- unless you have a problem with dysphagia/regurgitation-- another reason for a good physical exam/medical consultation.

I once had a patient who was an Elvis impersonator. He came in complaining of a URI with hoarseness, and he had to perform a show on the weekend. What could he do about the voice?...I told him that Enrico Caruso used to put bourbon in an atomizer and spray his throat prior to performances to loosen his vocal cords....Elvis was all smiles at that news and greatly encouraged. As the pt. was about to go thru the door, I added, "Of course Caruso died young of throat cancer."....Elvis cancelled his performance.
Thanks, I'll see about an expert examination.

Cheers for the story, too..

Old 09-08-2022, 10:45 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I had a polyp in my throat that made me sound hoarse. I had speech therapy after it was removed because the surgeon told me that those who chose to do it reduced their rate of recurrence by 88%. What I learned was how to speak and project my voice without straining anything in my throat. All the air goes through your sinuses and you use your upper palate. I went weekly for 4 months.

They suggested lozenges for when it's cold or dry or allergy season or when you need to use your voice a lot. Either Grether's pastilles ($35 a tin back then) or Hall's Breezers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness