Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 03:15 PM

10,950 posts, read 6,678,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Did you take vitamin pills during that time? I would be worried about not getting all the required nutrition. Otherwise, it sounds like a diet I would not mind being on for a month.

I wonder if fasting is also good for resetting the digestive system. I did a 3 day fast recently (but I drank black coffee and tea). It seemed to help in some way, but not a lot. I wonder if doing that more often would be a good idea, probably.
It was so long ago, I don't remember. I was taking some Chinese herbs (brewed tea in a special pot) and acupuncture treatments. That's not vitamin therapy though. I wish I could remember. All I remember is that I lost a lot of weight, and of course I was in my late 20s so the weight came off easily anyway.

I think fasting is a great idea. It's good study it first and figure out what type of fast to do, whether it be a modified fast or a full on fast. I am more interested in modified fasts because I think they are more healthy. But if one is generally healthy then a full fast would probably be OK.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,072,378 times
Quote:
I NEVER said I don't want to see a physician. But I should try to understand first, and try to help myself if possible.

A dietician would just tell me things I can find online or in books.

I have not been having any stress, so that isn't it.

I think the 3 day fast I had done might have helped a little, so I can try more fasting. Yoga stretching of the lower spine seems helpful also.

I want to find the triggers if possible. I LOVE coffee, and caffeine in general, so I only gave that up for 3 days. I might have to try that for 2 weeks, sadly.

I have much less desire to eat, because the IBS is making me less hungry. It's easy to give up whatever food I have to give up. It's the coffee, and also seltzer, that I would rather not give up. I give up beer and wine off and on, and I am giving that up this week. I never drink a lot, but sometimes before going to bed.
'm sorry for misunderstanding you on the physician part. I'm not here to insult you or hurt you. I'm a fellow sufferer from IBS-D.
If you want to do your own elimination diet the FODMAP plan is a good start. It takes a while to get a good variety of foods sorted out but once you're done it gets easier to spot and eliminate any foods that cause problems.

If you want to try it on your own the low format elimination diet is a good start.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:32 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,368,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
It was so long ago, I don't remember. I was taking some Chinese herbs (brewed tea in a special pot) and acupuncture treatments. That's not vitamin therapy though. I wish I could remember. All I remember is that I lost a lot of weight, and of course I was in my late 20s so the weight came off easily anyway.

I think fasting is a great idea. It's good study it first and figure out what type of fast to do, whether it be a modified fast or a full on fast. I am more interested in modified fasts because I think they are more healthy. But if one is generally healthy then a full fast would probably be OK.
I did a zero calorie fast, with black coffee and tea, and I felt good. No IBS symptoms. But it came back when the fast was over.

I do intermittent fasting every day and it works for me. I never got fat and my metabolism never slowed down, even though I am old.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
'm sorry for misunderstanding you on the physician part. I'm not here to insult you or hurt you. I'm a fellow sufferer from IBS-D.
If you want to do your own elimination diet the FODMAP plan is a good start. It takes a while to get a good variety of foods sorted out but once you're done it gets easier to spot and eliminate any foods that cause problems.

If you want to try it on your own the low format elimination diet is a good start.
Ok thanks, I will try that. After Thanksgiving week, because I will be visiting relatives and don't want to ask for special food considerations.

Old 11-11-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I did a zero calorie fast, with black coffee and tea, and I felt good. No IBS symptoms. But it came back when the fast was over.

I do intermittent fasting every day and it works for me. I never got fat and my metabolism never slowed down, even though I am old.
I have a medical condition that one doctor swears is caused by a virus, it causes severe food sensitivity. He also swears that IBS is caused by a virus. I never took it any further than that, because he said he'd never seen numbers as high as mine (not surprised) and I moved away very soon after seeing him (he was recommended by someone I met online). I was grateful for his input but mainline doctors poo-pooed his idea. He told me it weas cytomegalovirus. There might be some credence to the virus idea.

I have MAJOR food sensitivity to the point where I gave up long ago. I just deal with it. I'm not Dick Gregory, who had a iron will when it came to diet. His story is fascinating. He became a strict fruitarian and it cured his mucous problem. He said it took 2 years to see results. Interesting story. I guess at the age I weas when I heard about it, I felt that with my health and stress situation I wouldn't be able to withstand 2 years on a fruitarian diet in order to see if my food sensitivity could be cured or better managed.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I have a medical condition that one doctor swears is caused by a virus, it causes severe food sensitivity. He also swears that IBS is caused by a virus. I never took it any further than that, because he said he'd never seen numbers as high as mine (not surprised) and I moved away very soon after seeing him (he was recommended by someone I met online). I was grateful for his input but mainline doctors poo-pooed his idea. He told me it weas cytomegalovirus. There might be some credence to the virus idea.

I have MAJOR food sensitivity to the point where I gave up long ago. I just deal with it. I'm not Dick Gregory, who had a iron will when it came to diet. His story is fascinating. He became a strict fruitarian and it cured his mucous problem. He said it took 2 years to see results. Interesting story. I guess at the age I weas when I heard about it, I felt that with my health and stress situation I wouldn't be able to withstand 2 years on a fruitarian diet in order to see if my food sensitivity could be cured or better managed.
So now you just eat whatever you want? And suffer the IBS?

I am going on a plane trip soon, 7 hours. I wonder if taking immodium would prevent having to run to the bathroom. I bought immodium but never tried it yet.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:47 PM

48,271 posts, read 34,391,475 times
Quote:
I had a very expensive food sensitivity test years ago, because I had a terrible skin allergy. I had some mild sensitivities, according to that test, but not much. I don't actually remember what they were.

I also had lots of allergy tests, and the only bad allergy was dust mites. I don't have any terrible allergies anymore, except once in a while.

I don't think this is a food allergy. There is no kind of food I eat every day, and I have this every day.
Then is could just be IBS. I had it severe for like 2 decades. I mean like my gastro put me in the hospital bad. Then, essentially, it went away.... with retirement. I still have some symptoms, but nothing like before.

Perhaps you can call your past doc and find out what your sensitivities are? That's got to be much easier than doing an omission diet. Or get that test done again. I would only see a licensed doctor for that though, I had a "nutritionist" or some such tell me I was wheat sensitive, I went wheat free for two years with no change. It was BS.

BTW, the change in air pressure when flying can be disruptive to the digestive system. My husband flew for a couple decades and THAT was a running joke amongst the crew.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-11-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then is could just be IBS. I had it severe for like 2 decades. I mean like my gastro put me in the hospital bad. Then, essentially, it went away.... with retirement. I still have some symptoms, but nothing like before.

Perhaps you can call your past doc and find out what your sensitivities are? That's got to be much easier than doing an omission diet. Or get that test done again. I would only see a licensed doctor for that though, I had a "nutritionist" or some such tell me I was wheat sensitive, I went wheat free for two years with no change. It was BS.

BTW, the change in air pressure when flying can be disruptive to the digestive system. My husband flew for a couple decades and THAT was a running joke amongst the crew.
I don't think this has anything to do with what was on that test. I have the test results buried somewhere. But there were no serious sensitivities listed. And it was from years ago anyway.

I am feeling a little better recently, but I don't know the reason. I have been eating whatever I want. I think I seem to feel worse when I wake up in the morning, kind of a sick feeling. But after drinking some herbal tea and some water, that goes away.

Still having diarrhea every day, but less. Maybe that 3 day fast is what helped?

I think after Thanksgiving I might do another fast, maybe only 2 days (the third day was a little difficult). And then maybe one of those crazy diets.

I have been seeing ads for powder you can buy to make shakes that supposedly fix your digestion. That sounds easier than elimination diets.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
So now you just eat whatever you want? And suffer the IBS?

I am going on a plane trip soon, 7 hours. I wonder if taking immodium would prevent having to run to the bathroom. I bought immodium but never tried it yet.
Fortunately, I don't have IBS. A doctor I saw has the opinion that I have "cyto megalo virus" which is like the herpes zoster (chicken pox/shingles) virus. It lives in you and flares up. His theory is that it has caused extreme food sensitivity which causes my body to overproduce mucous. It's like having cystic fibrosis. I don't think I have it. I don't have any of the major symptoms. The test he did said it came back with the highest numbers he's ever seen. Like I said, other doctors have poo-pooed the idea.

Have you thought about perhaps trying acupuncture and Chinese medicine? There are three different times in my life that it has amazingly help me - twice with lung issues and once with severe sciatica caused by a car accident. It can be expensive, but IMO it's worth a try if you can.

What I would like to know is what causes food sensitivities. I would pursue it more actively but I have other issues I've been dealing with. I might explore it in the future when things die down - if they do!

Old 11-11-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Fortunately, I don't have IBS. A doctor I saw has the opinion that I have "cyto megalo virus" which is like the herpes zoster (chicken pox/shingles) virus. It lives in you and flares up. His theory is that it has caused extreme food sensitivity which causes my body to overproduce mucous. It's like having cystic fibrosis. I don't think I have it. I don't have any of the major symptoms. The test he did said it came back with the highest numbers he's ever seen. Like I said, other doctors have poo-pooed the idea.

Have you thought about perhaps trying acupuncture and Chinese medicine? There are three different times in my life that it has amazingly help me - twice with lung issues and once with severe sciatica caused by a car accident. It can be expensive, but IMO it's worth a try if you can.

What I would like to know is what causes food sensitivities. I would pursue it more actively but I have other issues I've been dealing with. I might explore it in the future when things die down - if they do!
I had acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine in the past for other things. It did absolutely nothing for me. I also had homeopathy and intravenous supplements, and expensive oral supplements, when I was suffering terribly from a skin allergy. None of that did anything. The only thing that seemed to help, and finally got rid of it, was yoga. Strangely. So I am trying to intensify my yoga practice now to hopefully help the intestines. I think it has benefit. Nothing else ever seems to help me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness