Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 03:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
No its good you reminded everyone. Adults need reminders like that.
I work in retail and every. single. winter. I hear the whining and moaning from all the 'adult's' who apparently DO need reminding not to wait until they NEED whatever is lacking in their medicine chest before they hit the store. It ain't rocket science but it's amazing how many people can't figure it out.
Of course these are probably the same people who will be in the grocery store this thursday morning kvetching that they can't find a necessary ingredient for that super special family holiday recipe that they just have to make to take to granny's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 04:31 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Yeah, when I lived out in the middle of nowhere 30 miles from a well-stocked store I learned my lesson. Bought everything and kept it on hand. OTC drugs, toiletries, oral care, first aid, staples, paper products, etc. etc. etc. Not prepper, just prepared. Especially OTC drugs.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:35 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
There's pure guaifenesin (with nothing added) at Walmart; the generic version of Mucinex. You can order it.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:08 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
I bought guafenesin bottle from Walmart 2 years ago and put it in our emergency meds after getting super bad cold just before Covid hit the nation. As several people said it and other valuable meds (benadryl generic, etc) may not be available on the shelf when I need it and I am in an area with many drug stores. Look what happened with toilet paper shortage back then OMG.

Having over-the-counter meds to get through a bad weekend in order to get to walk-in clinic on Monday gives peace of mind and eliminates emergency room visit where they will be first treating people with major problems not me with trouble breathing.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:20 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I bought guafenesin bottle from Walmart 2 years ago and put it in our emergency meds after getting super bad cold just before Covid hit the nation. As several people said it and other valuable meds (benadryl generic, etc) may not be available on the shelf when I need it and I am in an area with many drug stores. Look what happened with toilet paper shortage back then OMG.

Having over-the-counter meds to get through a bad weekend in order to get to walk-in clinic on Monday gives peace of mind and eliminates emergency room visit where they will be first treating people with major problems not me with trouble breathing.

Trouble breathing can easily and rapidly escalate into the major problem category, dontcha think?

Old 11-23-2022, 12:43 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Oh, yay, more citydata help! If you had actually bothered to read the thread, you would have seen that the issue has been resolved long ago. But then you wouldn't have been able to impart such sage wisdom!

Since I haven't used expectorant in decades, it (or I) is likely to be expired before I ever use it again.

Once again, Mikey very politely asks, why take it out on everyone else? If it's over, it's over. We now know that your store's shelves were empty, just like the infant formula

Old 11-23-2022, 01:01 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
No its good you reminded everyone. Adults need reminders like that.

Adults do not continue fights online, DubbleT made an excellent point. As have many other in this thread

Old 11-23-2022, 02:33 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Check the expiration dates on these meds. Many OTC cough/cold/allergy symptom relievers have surprisingly short shelf lives. Stockpiling them too far in advance can be a waste of $. I review and re-stock a few basics every fall and usually avoid the more complex multi-symptom concoctions. If I can't find a basic on local shelves I order it. Taking drugs to treat symptoms I don't have? Nope.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:35 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Once again, Mikey very politely asks, why take it out on everyone else? If it's over, it's over. We now know that your store's shelves were empty, just like the infant formula

And Deserterer asks, why are you making broadly incorrect statements? I'm only making "taking it out on" (as you call it), a very select few people who always come along on these threads not in a helpful way, but either to try and criticize the op or to try and make them or someone feel stupid.

Polite Mikey got the ball rolling with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
WRONG! All come with plain Guaifenesin. Only the DM form comes with Dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant!

So buy Mucinex for expectorant or Mucinex DM for suppressant plus suppressant. Same for Robitussin or generics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-23-2022, 03:19 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Check the expiration dates on these meds. Many OTC cough/cold/allergy symptom relievers have surprisingly short shelf lives. Stockpiling them too far in advance can be a waste of $. I review and re-stock a few basics every fall and usually avoid the more complex multi-symptom concoctions. If I can't find a basic on local shelves I order it. Taking drugs to treat symptoms I don't have? Nope.
This is true! I just went to check my Nyquils and Robitussins. Hadn't needed them in a while. Had to throw them out because they had expired. Have to buy new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness