U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 12:20 PM

4,524 posts, read 1,714,876 times

Advertisements

About a year in a half ago I was rear-ended at 45ish MPH, launching me into the truck in front of me. Aside from causing some significant back injuries and exacerbating previous significant back injuries, I suffered a concussion, my 2nd in 8 years, and 3rd in 14 years.

The hit was particularly hard. The driver's front impact bar matched perfectly with the trailer hitch that I left in my receiver from the previous day. There was no physical damage to the rear of my Xterra, but it distorted the frame and body.

Anyways, the six months following the accident were fairly miserable. I experienced anxiety as I've never experienced before. I was paralyzed with fear of getting rear-ended again and performing job functions. It is well-managed via therapy and medication now, but it has not returned to a pre-accident state. I performed poorly on my first memory test but did improve earlier in the year. I still have issues with concentration and there have been a few moments where I have completely forgotten a conversation or event, but nothing significant.

I have begun working out again after completing physical therapy a few weeks ago. I feel great for the most part, but my family has noticed that I occasionally have a loss of words, to the point where I cannot engage in a conversation. It is infrequent but usually persists over several hours. It's significant enough that they have expressed concern about it. It does not affect written communications. I met with the neurologist earlier this week for my quarterly checkup and she mentioned expressive aphasia. I will have a brain MRI Friday, EEG next week, and another memory test the following day. I was also prescribed modafinil to aid in concentration lapses and cognitive function.

I am concerned and frustrated, to say the least. I would not have expected to develop additional symptoms at this stage of recovery. I am left wondering how long this will last and what will pop up next. I am not going to throw a pity party about it, but I would like to hear about others' experiences.

Lastly, I will be 52 next month. My neurologist did mention the term expressive aphasia but she would not conclude that as of yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 03:30 PM

6,390 posts, read 3,588,199 times
I've seen pts with no post-concussion symptoms and I've seen them with post-concussion migraines for decades, and everything in between.

An MRI will be helpful to R/O subdural hematoma. That can account for variable or for progressive mentation problems and should be treated....Any other "bruising" (for lack of a better term) probably won't be visible on an MRI. (edit-- I just noticed you said this was from over a yr ago-- subdural is highly unlikely.)

Expressive aphasia is not a diagnosis, but a description in Greek of what you told us above-- you forget words. (They can charge more when they use the Greek & Latin terms.)

Your level of anxiety (entirely excusable given the severe trauma) may be at the root of your symptoms, but that's a diagnosis of exclusion-- first prove it isn't something physical & treatable.)...We might question the wisdom of prescribing a stimulant in someone suffering from anxiety, but the proof is in the pudding-- it won't kill youl, might work and worth a try....Situational anxiety tends to get better by itself over time.

I'm surprised you're not complaining of more neck & shoulder spasm/pain after such a severe whip-lash. You must be tougher than a two dollar steak.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:10 PM

She did suggest that the root of my issues could be related to anxiety, even as it has greatly improved. She was also concerned that modafinil could result in insomnia in some cases, so we are monitoring it.

The MRI is to detect brain anomalies, especially in comparison to last year's MRI. I am also awaiting the results of a blood test to detect indicators of Alzheimer's/early dementia that can be associated with TBI (her words).

I complained quite a bit for about a year after it happened. I already had back injuries from a previous auto accident 30 years ago, so this didn't help. I attribute my tolerance to years of exercise, especially core work, not being tough.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:13 PM

8,345 posts, read 4,333,150 times
OP~ I hope the doc's find something other than TBI. Well, something treatable, that is. Good luck on this one.

45mph is usually a lethal energy transfer...

Old 12-01-2022, 10:53 PM

15,919 posts, read 11,041,400 times
Look how long it took Mohammad Ali to pass away from his Post Concussion Syndrome. I really hope that is not what you have

Old 12-08-2022, 09:34 AM

After four days on low-dose modafinil I stopped taking it. My anxiety was paralyzing and had persistent headaches almost to the level of a migraine. The headaches/anxiety did not go away until 2 days ago, six days after ceasing the medication. Three days ago was the worst and I ended up in the ER with a BP of 179/117. Bloodwork and EKG were clear and my BP eventually lowered on its own so I was dismissed with instructions to log it and follow up with my PCP.

Things have normalized over the last two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness