Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Some relapses are gentle and some are humdingers, Naohma. I'm glad that this has been a mild one for you.

For my DH; the sooner he caught on that he's having one and got in for treatment; the better he felt and the less permanent problems he had.
I dont get any idea that I am going into one. I literally wake up in the morning full blown into one lol... it can be quite intense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I am glad you are coming out of it, Noahma.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:03 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
I have no earthly idea what a flare, relapse or any of it is. As best I can tell I haven't had anything 'new' since diagnosed. How do you know??? I read all this stuff but can't make heads or tails of it!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
My boyfriend seems to be in a flare x about 2 months or so. What brought it on? I think a tattoo did. Since getting a tattoo he has been back and fourth with the MS problems. Of course, no insurance, no treatment.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
I have no earthly idea what a flare, relapse or any of it is. As best I can tell I haven't had anything 'new' since diagnosed. How do you know??? I read all this stuff but can't make heads or tails of it!
relapse is a set of new symptoms that you have not had before, a Flare is a return of old symptoms.

I know I have a relapse when say this one, my left arm and leg were hard to control, they felt like I had 7lbs of sand attached to them at the joints (this can happen with just about anything from burning, to pins and needles ext. some even see things as if they are cartoons, it is different for everyone) I have little flares occasionally, I had a relapse (attack) on my right arm earlier this year, and sometimes it gets stiff which would be considered a flare, they rarely last over 24 hours. I am very very happy you have not had any relapses, I have had 3 in the past 4 years, they usually happen every other year for me.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
jillz, you do NOT sound like a wanker! You are coping with a chronic disease and (from the sounds of it) those around you aren't as willing to understand that fact. In some ways, that's the problem with M.S.: others always say "You look so good!" and they don't understand how the disease affects you.

And concerning my Hubby; we took vows 34 years ago to love each other "in sickness and in health" and we both have taken care of each other through some pretty tough times. My being a nurse helps him; his knowing how to cook helped me when I've been too ill to care for myself.
Thank you JenLee! I certainly FEEL like one! I saw my neuro today and I am going to keep trying Avonex for the time being and see if the side effects get any better. They weren't as bad this weekend as the last weekend so hopefully they will end up being tolerable. I asked for smaller needles and that made the shot less painful (not that it is heinous, but anything helps).

He gave me Lyrica for my eyeball pain which has been getting worse and Provigil for the fatigue. He had to give me samples of the Provigil since it isn't automatically approved for MS anymore (it is a narcolepsy drug) while the pre-auth stuff gets sorted through.

Does anyone else have eyebal issues? My sight has only gone out of one eye about 2-3 times in the last 4-5 months but the pain is still there.

Jill

Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Thank you JenLee! I certainly FEEL like one! I saw my neuro today and I am going to keep trying Avonex for the time being and see if the side effects get any better. They weren't as bad this weekend as the last weekend so hopefully they will end up being tolerable. I asked for smaller needles and that made the shot less painful (not that it is heinous, but anything helps).

He gave me Lyrica for my eyeball pain which has been getting worse and Provigil for the fatigue. He had to give me samples of the Provigil since it isn't automatically approved for MS anymore (it is a narcolepsy drug) while the pre-auth stuff gets sorted through.

Does anyone else have eyebal issues? My sight has only gone out of one eye about 2-3 times in the last 4-5 months but the pain is still there.

Jill
the eye stuff is a comon symptom with MS, it is called optic neuritis (sp?)

Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
the eye stuff is a comon symptom with MS, it is called optic neuritis (sp?)

Do you have it and if so, what do you do to help with the pain? I am going to try Lyrica but if there is something else I can do in addition to it I am all up for trying it.

Thanks!
J

Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Do you have it and if so, what do you do to help with the pain? I am going to try Lyrica but if there is something else I can do in addition to it I am all up for trying it.

Thanks!
J
I have not had ON, although many people on MS World - Patients Helping Patients! have, and they might be able to help you with the pain. Basically your optic nerve is getting attacked, which causes swelling and the pain. The pain is probably neruopathic pain, so there is a whole classification of drug used to treat that pain, your Neuro might be able to help as well.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:40 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Just curious...have any of you had cataracts, peridontal (teeth) issues or high cholesterol?? I seem to be a walking poster child of poop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness