U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Questions regarding ovarian cysts, female seeking advice on whether to treat condition or to let nature run its course, have not seen doctor, maybe not supposed to conceive children

Old 06-02-2008, 11:23 PM

75 posts, read 85,004 times

Advertisements

Lately there's something that's been on my mind, and I'd like to ask you all this question: If you were diagnosed with some kind of disease or disorder, do you ever wonder that you're this way for some reason and that you shouldn't go against nature and try to cure it?

Let me explain. I've always been very healthy except for the fact that recently I found out that I have ovarian cysts, which is causing my irregular period. I rarely get my period. I'm not doing anything right now in terms of treating it because I haven't gone to see my doctor about it. Only recently I realized that since I don't get my period, it's very possible I'm infertile or will have difficulty getting pregnant. That really scares me as I would love to have children some day. I know these days that's curable and I would probably be put on the pill to regulate my period, but lately I've been wondering, why is it that I was born this way? Why me? Maybe I wasn't made to conceive and I shouldn't go against how nature made me because if I do I'll be punished in some way. Maybe I should just let it be. I know it's probably silly to think that, but I don't know...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 11:36 PM

790 posts, read 3,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubalu View Post
Lately there's something that's been on my mind, and I'd like to ask you all this question: If you were diagnosed with some kind of disease or disorder, do you ever wonder that you're this way for some reason and that you shouldn't go against nature and try to cure it?

Let me explain. I've always been very healthy except for the fact that recently I found out that I have ovarian cysts, which is causing my irregular period. I rarely get my period. I'm not doing anything right now in terms of treating it because I haven't gone to see my doctor about it. Only recently I realized that since I don't get my period, it's very possible I'm infertile or will have difficulty getting pregnant. That really scares me as I would love to have children some day. I know these days that's curable and I would probably be put on the pill to regulate my period, but lately I've been wondering, why is it that I was born this way? Why me? Maybe I wasn't made to conceive and I shouldn't go against how nature made me because if I do I'll be punished in some way. Maybe I should just let it be. I know it's probably silly to think that, but I don't know...

Thoughts?
You could consider working with nature and explore alternative healing modalities.
I'd evaluate and then work on dropping the "punishment" theme. Who and what does that serve? Love yourself and heal yourself. I think that is more the way of nature (certainly the way of the Spirit) ... not punishment and guilt.
I'm not sure what you mean by "born that way". We're humans and not perfect and the body sometimes doesn't work optimally but i don't think that means that you just lie down and resign to disease.
And whether or not you will conceive remains a mystery but in the mean time, why not work on healing in a way that feels most right for you?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 PM

75 posts, read 85,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
You could consider working with nature and explore alternative healing modalities.
I'd evaluate and then work on dropping the "punishment" theme. Who and what does that serve? Love yourself and heal yourself. I think that is more the way of nature (certainly the way of the Spirit) ... not punishment and guilt.
I'm not sure what you mean by "born that way". We're humans and not perfect and the body sometimes doesn't work optimally but i don't think that means that you just lie down and resign to disease.
And whether or not you will conceive remains a mystery but in the mean time, why not work on healing in a way that feels most right for you?
Hmm...you're right. I guess I've been feeling this way because I'm mad, I don't know at who or what-nature, God, some superior force, I don't know, for being born with this. I'm a believer in letting things behave naturally and letting things cure naturally too, I mean...at one point in time we didn't have all these medicines and cures...that leads to the "survival of the fittest" theory where only the fittest and strongest go on to procreate, the rest of us shouldn't. Why go against this? If I can't conceive, than I should just let it be. If I have this condition it must be for some reason. That's the way I see it sometimes. Silly huh?

Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,186,426 times
God gave us the brains and ability to work with nature (which can be pretty cruel) and fix the things that have gone wrong with our bodies. (we live at the moment in an imperfect world). Use whatever means you have available to be as healthy as you can be. Use the Drs skill and knowledge, read up on things, educate yourself, eat good healthy foods, exercise.

There is so much we can do - no need to throw your hands up in the air and surrender - hope you find the help you need.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:42 AM

8 posts, read 29,571 times
hi i,m sorry to hear that its seems you are at moment in your life where you are unsure of what is best to do but many of us belive in the natural way of things but that does not stop us from helping our bodies to heal, i have had all the average couths,colds and cuts that go with growing up and dnt take pills, medicen and dicourage my kids(end of the day they have thier own decisions to make) to have them or wear plasters but there are ALOT of alternative medicens out there that have been going since the ancient times, at this moment i am in a leg cast due to broken bones but had no surgery and take alternatives to try help the healing process, my eldest daughter found out that she had overian cysts when she was 17 now at 21 without any intervention (it is still there ) she has 2 healthy happy kids, she knew after all said that the proberbility of getting pregant was slim and yet NATURE has given her the gift of 1 girl and 1 boy what more cud she ask for? she was treated by herbalisium for kidneys problems when she was younger and has had no problems with them for many yrs(docs wanteed to put in a shunt)
Some times we need to help nature along like holding the hand of a child ..just showing them the way but not actually doing it for them... and sometimes nature just cannot do things on thier own (my son was born with RB cancer and had to be traeted for many yrs) but that was mine not his decision due to his age, i find nature has given us most of what we need for both our health and healing ..........BUT WE ALL NEED A HELPING HAND SOMETIMES!
I really hope you will look into all the possibilities that are around and find what helps YOU.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,027,445 times
Will it make you feel better to know that majority of women develop ovarian cysts in their lifetime? You're not the only one, and it's not a disease. I have removed few of them, but they have tendency to regrow. I can't be blaming anyone for what is happening to my body, but i will definately fight to stay healthy and rid myself of "inperfections" as best as possible.
So, don't be too hard on yourself, talk to your doctor, find a good herbalist and see what else can be done. Blaming yourself is the last thing you want to do. Nature will take it's course regardless of what you do, but you really don't want to harbor any kind of "ilness" because nature "did it", that is the wrong way of thinking. Take care of yourself and your body the best you can.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:42 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,498,457 times
The pill sucks. It's a good way to end up with blood clots and quite possibly die, which you don't want.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM

790 posts, read 3,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubalu View Post
Hmm...you're right. I guess I've been feeling this way because I'm mad, I don't know at who or what-nature, God, some superior force, I don't know, for being born with this. I'm a believer in letting things behave naturally and letting things cure naturally too, I mean...at one point in time we didn't have all these medicines and cures...that leads to the "survival of the fittest" theory where only the fittest and strongest go on to procreate, the rest of us shouldn't. Why go against this? If I can't conceive, than I should just let it be. If I have this condition it must be for some reason. That's the way I see it sometimes. Silly huh?
Well, i certainly understand anger. I guess that finding a creative way (ie; doesn't hurt anyone including your self) to express that anger would be helpful.
I don't understand what you mean by "being born with this".
I think it's safe to say that most alternative healing modalities understand and accept that the body has huge potential for healing and balancing and also that the mind is an incredible tool that can be used to either help or hinder that potential.
Working with the whole body (as opposed to treating symptoms which create side effects / other symptoms) and the body/mind complex and with more subtler systems of the body (as acupuncture does, for example) are ways by which we support and encourage the natural process of healing.
For thousands of years human beings have optimized the body's potential for health and healing disease with various methods and approaches.
So there's not a conflict between accepting that optimally and potentially the body is self correcting and self balancing and assisting that process. To assist the healing process in ways that do not oppose nature, is just that .... supporting the natural and intrinsic healing capacity of the body.
Just "letting it be" is not necessarily the way of nature since, for one, we're naturally creative as humans.
But if letting it be isn't putting your body at risk and you'd only deal with this health issue in order to be able to conceive, well that's another story.
I suppose it just depends on what is most essential in our lives and no-one can determine that for us.
I'm often surprised at what women do in order to have their own biological child. I don't want to be judgmental but i guess i am when i see what is being done these days with fertility treatments. It seems to me that the attachment to having ones own child is so extreme. I too feel that if it's not happening naturally, don't push it. There are plenty of unwanted babies in this world that need a Heart mom. But, i've not been in the situation where i'm desperate to have a child and cannot.
I have a dog. That's about all that i can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness