Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 02:12 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Congrats OP.

One year is indeed a grand anniversary. It pretty much marks the point where the urges are all pretty much a murmur.

Not necessarily. The first time i quit (after hundreds of failed tries) at 32 i really didn't have cravings for long, thanks to nicotine patches, toothpicks and running, plus my job had me hiking in the mountains almost every day. But i started up again at 35 and when i quit for good 5 years later I was pretty much in constant cravings for a full year and a half despite all of the above. Almost every waking second, constant craving. Which pretty much assures me that i will never ever take another puff of tobacco because i do not ever want to go through that again. Plus...

Quote:
It's funny how "attractive" smoking is. Even though I've been "quit" for over 20 yrs, I still miss the pure joy of smoking.

I don't miss any of it one tiny bit. i was addicted by the time I was 14 and it was an anchor around my neck for 20 years. I never even liked it. That ahhhhhh feeling of a smoke isn't pleasure, its just sating the addiction for a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 02:39 PM

256 posts, read 114,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
......It still was nice to revisit those memories for a moment!
For a moment only!!!

We must not romanticize nicotine addiction...it's a form of selective memory, when we have positive reminiscences of smoking. When intrusive memories arise, it’s crucial to take a step back and remind ourselves why we decided to declare our independence from cigarettes in the first place. Let’s continue to prioritize healthier choices and discourage any glorification of smoking.

I had a dream...I was lounging on a beach in Puerto Vallarta - ah, the ocean breeze, the waves, the palm trees, a Pina Colada in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I was enjoying myself soooo much. Then I woke up with a start, panicking and filled with anxiety that I blew it. Relaxed when I realized it was just a dream. Plus, this scenario would never play out in real life because Mexico has imposed one of the world’s strictest anti-tobacco laws by enacting a total ban on smoking in public places, including hotels, beaches, and parks.

A year ago this would have caused me much distress, and I would have struck Mexico off my list of travel destinations...now, I support these positive directions to create a healthier, cleaner world for everyone!

Old 02-25-2024, 05:19 PM

7,122 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
Geez, I'm remembering when breakfast was a cigarette and a cup of coffee.

Then after 55 years of heavy tobacco use I decided to stop smoking and start repairing.

My quit journey has been challenging, but so rewarding.

You can do it too!
Just wonderful--so happy for you! It's tough to quit but so worth it! You should be very proud of yourself.

I quit 25 years ago after a couple of false starts.

The benefits of not smoking are many!!

Old 02-28-2024, 01:29 PM

982 posts, read 522,520 times
When I finally quit smoking way back in 1992, cigarettes still smelled good. Fast forward to 2024 and I still like the smell. I'll actually go sit by someone who is smoking just to get a whiff of it.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:02 PM

88,555 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
When I finally quit smoking way back in 1992, cigarettes still smelled good. Fast forward to 2024 and I still like the smell. I'll actually go sit by someone who is smoking just to get a whiff of it.
Same. I had a friend who was still smoking. She was never a really heavy smoker, quit easily when she was pregnant, and so forth. But when she had drinks, she would smoke. I could sit there with her and enjoy the smell of her cigarettes, but I still didn't want to smoke.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:28 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same. I had a friend who was still smoking. She was never a really heavy smoker, quit easily when she was pregnant, and so forth. But when she had drinks, she would smoke. I could sit there with her and enjoy the smell of her cigarettes, but I still didn't want to smoke.
My mother used to say to me that you just don't understand how powerfully those tie together because you've never been a smoker.

My mother was always an 'everything in moderation' drinker/never too much and she started smoking in college and smoked 2 packs of filtered cigarettes a day for over 24 years. She started trying to quit right when the Surgeon General's report came out. It took her 4 years, but she did it and never started again, but she still died of a related illness decades later (but still too young).

My father didn't start smoking until he was in the U.S. Army in Korea fighting in the war (after college). He never stopped smoking, and smoked 4 packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day for almost 40 years. In the last 5 years of his life his emphysema was so bad that after walking a block, he'd stop to rest.

I've said to people that, fortunately, the effect on me = I might as well have grown up in a Shick Center. My father's coughing was disgusting.

I tried a cigarette with a same age neighbor and his older sisters when we were 11, and I hated it.

I've only dated one smoker, and that was in college. I think it didn't bother me at the time primarily because she smoked menthols. I can't stand the smell of non menthol (so most, at least IME) cigarettes.

ETA: My grandmother (mother's mother) didn't start smoking until my mother started smoking, and she quit the same time my mother did. They motivated one sister to quit, and another quit because she started dating a non smoker and wanted him to propose (he did), but thought he might not if she didn't stop smoking. My grandmother, when she and my mother started smoking, called cigarettes 'coffin nails', and that was decades before the Surgeon General's report came out.

Last edited by RMESMH; 02-29-2024 at 12:38 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 01:26 AM

21,538 posts, read 8,721,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That ahhhhhh feeling of a smoke isn't pleasure, its just sating the addiction for a few minutes.
This is so true. Smokers think that cigarettes are relaxing, but in fact nicotine is a stimulant. When you haven't smoked for a while, you start feeling jumpy and nervous. The feeling you get with that first puff is nothing more than temporary relief from nicotine's withdrawal symptoms.

I don't like to smell cigarette smoke anymore, but I do enjoy the aroma of pipe tobacco.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:35 AM

88,555 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This is so true. Smokers think that cigarettes are relaxing, but in fact nicotine is a stimulant. When you haven't smoked for a while, you start feeling jumpy and nervous. The feeling you get with that first puff is nothing more than temporary relief from nicotine's withdrawal symptoms.

I don't like to smell cigarette smoke anymore, but I do enjoy the aroma of pipe tobacco.
Yes, and that was a big realization for me. When I attempted to quit, I'd feel so sad and so awful and I'd think "I can't live with feeling like this for the rest of my life."

But you won't.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:15 AM

1,131 posts, read 610,985 times
The common denominator I see (and experienced) is that it's very difficult to truly quit when you are either under a lot of stress or don't have a meaningful reason to quit.

When I was young, I would smoke like a chimney and still be able to workout heavy or ride my bike, etc.

But as I aged, I found that my workouts would wear me out faster aerobically (out of breath quicker). So I actually scaled back my smoking. Ironically I craved a cig soooooooooooo much right after my workouts lol.

Funny that some of you like the smell of "second hand" smoke? Even as a smoker I didn't like that smell.

Now the smell of tobacco is another story. That smell wafting from the cigar / smoke store is beautiful and delicious.

Right now the only time I'm tempted to have a cig is when I'm drinking with friends. Easy enough to bum a cig off one of my buddies. But I promised God I would be a good boy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness