Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:34 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I am having hot flashes from menopause or not but they just happend to coincide with having a cold this week and I hate it. I still get regular periods but I am 52. Whether or not it is from menopause, what do you do ladies when you get them while you are at work helping someone? I am about to start a job in cosmetics which means I will be very close with customers and am very nervous about suddenly starting to break out in an obvious sweat! I remember when I was young while doing make-up on a lady that had a sudden hot flash and she was so embarrassed as the persperation moistened her face and neck. I've also had a headache this week. Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:35 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Remifemin(sp?) is supposed to help with that. Check it out the next time you go to the store.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
I seem to only get hot at night! feel like I have a little oven in my head. it just heats up. then, of all things, the bottom of my feet sweat! doesn't happen all of the time and I am trying to find a pattern.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
puffle, I wish I could recommend a magic pill to make them go away for you, but I can't. I opted to go Au Naturale with no hormones or herbs. I'll be 49 this year, but I made the 12 month mark (of no periods) in April this year. My Hot-Flashes are nearly gone now... but when they were bad I made NO bones about what I was going through!

Mine always seemed to hit when I was in a store shopping, so I would just stop, fan myself madly and declare WHOO! HOT Flash! Very quickly you will notice how many Menopause "Sisters" are in the vicinity! Usually with a knowing grin or a muffled *giggle* It will get better in time though.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Puffle, a sweaty face was the only sign I ever had of menopause (besides the gradual stopping of my periods).. It was very embarrassing to just suddenly break out in an intense sweat at the most unfortunate times..You should see your gyn and discuss this and have your hormone levels checked..I didn't seek any treatment for it, because I already knew that HRT was out of the question for me, but there may be something besides that for you..

Old 06-04-2008, 03:00 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
puffle, I wish I could recommend a magic pill to make them go away for you, but I can't. I opted to go Au Naturale with no hormones or herbs. I'll be 49 this year, but I made the 12 month mark (of no periods) in April this year. My Hot-Flashes are nearly gone now... but when they were bad I made NO bones about what I was going through!

Mine always seemed to hit when I was in a store shopping, so I would just stop, fan myself madly and declare WHOO! HOT Flash! Very quickly you will notice how many Menopause "Sisters" are in the vicinity! Usually with a knowing grin or a muffled *giggle* It will get better in time though.
Lady Robyn you should start a social group, "Menopausal sisters"

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I have them about every 10 minutes, or so it seems. I have never been much of a sweater, but boy now I am. My arms get very shiny and the back of my neck feels like I have a blowtorch on it. I work with my husband and he knows when I am having one. LOL This will pass. I am also not taking the hormones but have been tempted lately.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post

I agree with Lady Robyn, about sharing with whomever at the time. When it hits, it's impossible to hide, so best just to come out with it.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Black Cohosh, an herb, helped a little bit, but I finally had to demand that my doctor give me something. I was flashing every 5 minutes, including at night when I was trying to sleep!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
I've been taking an herbal concoction of dong quei, epimedium, black cohosh, white peopny root, ginseng, oyster shell, wild yam root and schizandra, along with ultra primrose oil.

It seems to be helping. Now if I'd just stay away from the foods and drink that are causing the flashing, I'd be ok.

Sugar and chocolate seem to do it every time. I love spice and find spicy foods are also a trigger, but just can't give them up. And red wine is another contributor.

It doesn't take long to find out what the trigger foods are, .. but for me anyway, difficult to let go. Guess it depends on how much I want to suffer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness