Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

I had a small knee scrape that took forever to heal and then
developed bumps. My dermatologist cultured it and found staph
and gave me a antibiotic creme a few days ago.
Then I read up on staph on the internet and scared myself to death LOL
Now I have have a headache for 2 days and I am imagining that the staph has invaded my bloodstream and gone to my head.
Please tell me this is highly unlikely from a small knee scrape .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:46 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I had a small knee scrape that took forever to heal and then
developed bumps. My dermatologist cultured it and found staph
and gave me a antibiotic creme a few days ago.
Then I read up on staph on the internet and scared myself to death LOL
Now I have have a headache for 2 days and I am imagining that the staph has invaded my bloodstream and gone to my head.
Please tell me this is highly unlikely from a small knee scrape .
With staph, I would say if you have any concerns at all, call your doctor's office. It may be nothing, but it would be better to run that by them and see what they think. Staph(even the non MRSA type can progress rather quickly.)

Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 PM

67 posts, read 201,428 times
just make sure you don't have a red line running up your leg toward your heart!

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Yes a redline is very bad. Is there heat and swelling on your knee? Is it very red other than normal?
If you are in doubt call your Dr. as Staph is nothing to mess with.
If the antibiotic they gave you is not working it will not properly heal so they need to know about anything abnormal.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM

The knee seems better and was never a really bad area, just slow to heal
with bumps. I just feel rotten this week with a headache so I started
worrying that the staph had gotten in my bloodstream.
I am usually not such a hypercondriak (sp?) but I just feel rotten this week. I will check with my doctor ..he is used to my strange questions

Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
It is better to ask than to be sorry and end up sicker than you needed to get.
Good Luck on your healing.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
With staph, I would say if you have any concerns at all, call your doctor's office. It may be nothing, but it would be better to run that by them and see what they think. Staph(even the non MRSA type can progress rather quickly.)
I agree with KayKay as if you feel bad or unsure then go see your Doc or go to an Urgent Care facility to get treated with Antibiotics.

As for Staph....we are all covered with Staph from Head to Toe by the Trillions. Thats why when we get an opened wound or cut we should wash and add Peroxide or Alchohol etc. as the Bacterium rushes in and if the wound is too deep or large we should get stitches to close it up.

But our immune systems usually do the great job they were designed for and destroy these pathogens unless you system is compromised like having AIDS or being Very young or an Elder.

Our Macrophages and Lymphocytes are the main defenders of killing staph so most of the time you have little to worry about as that's why we aren't infected thru our Eyes, Nose, Mouth and other openings to our body as these cells line the openings by the Trillions. How many times in my life i have cut my self playing sports or doing a plumbing project and i didn't have a chance to wash and disinfect and yet my White Blood Cells did just fine to protect me.

So if you feel the need for medical then by all means go and get Medical attention by for the most part our Immune System are doing their best 24/7 ro defend us. May want to thank them ....

Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I agree with KayKay as if you feel bad or unsure then go see your Doc or go to an Urgent Care facility to get treated with Antibiotics.

As for Staph....we are all covered with Staph from Head to Toe by the Trillions. Thats why when we get an opened wound or cut we should wash and add Peroxide or Alchohol etc. as the Bacterium rushes in and if the wound is too deep or large we should get stitches to close it up.

But our immune systems usually do the great job they were designed for and destroy these pathogens unless you system is compromised like having AIDS or being Very young or an Elder.

Our Macrophages and Lymphocytes are the main defenders of killing staph so most of the time you have little to worry about as that's why we aren't infected thru our Eyes, Nose, Mouth and other openings to our body as these cells line the openings by the Trillions. How many times in my life i have cut my self playing sports or doing a plumbing project and i didn't have a chance to wash and disinfect and yet my White Blood Cells did just fine to protect me.

So if you feel the need for medical then by all means go and get Medical attention by for the most part our Immune System are doing their best 24/7 ro defend us. May want to thank them ....
Thanks for the info.. interesting !!! I feel better but if still bothered will see a doctor Monday

Old 06-21-2008, 08:32 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Stay off the internet medical sites! Esp. if you're prone to over worrying and over analyzing. Most times, a simple infection will heal. Our bodies are designed to heal--despite the medical industry's attempt to medicalize everything. What did people do 100 yrs ago when these things happened? Or, people in other parts of the world? If you had increased redness or swelling at the infection site, drainage and/or a fever, then you need to see a physican to be re-evaluated.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Thanks for the info.. interesting !!! I feel better but if still bothered will see a doctor Monday
Something really cool i had done several years back was i had a Live Cell Analysis done at Wild Oats Food store and although it's not for diagnosis it was neat to see your cells including your Immune Cells what they actually look like magnified.

She took a drop of my blood and put it on a slide and put it on a Dark Field Microscope and showed it on a television monitor. You see tons of your circulating Red Blood Cells but every so often you'd different types of large Cells as these are the White Blood Cells and there were 3 types of them. They looked like they were standing guard and one of the types was releasing tiny sustances from their tops (looked like tiny dust particles) and i asked here what was that and she said that was the Mast Cells and they were releasing Histamine as i probably had some kind of alergy that they were detecting even though i had no allergy synptoms.

Anyway it was cool to see several different types of your Immune Cells in the monitor. It makes you appreciate and have respect for them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness