U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 AM

12,987 posts, read 23,492,481 times
Default Get Some Sun and Save Your Life

Researchers at Linus Pauling Institute again are showing that just a little bit of sun exposure 10 to 15 minutes 3 times a week raises Vitamin D levels to healthy levels in the body.

Vitiman D has been shown to help in Bone Metabolism, Muscle Strength, Proper Immune Function, reducing Hypertension, lower Multiple Sclerosis risk to reducing many Cancers.

Get A Little Sun This Summer -- It Could Help Save Your Life, Researcher Suggests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM

4,936 posts, read 4,657,867 times
Sun is actually very good for everyone. Decreases risks of some cancers,promotes better immune functioning, helps with Vit. D, etc. 10-15 minutes a day is probably only going to help, not hurt.
I think alot of the bad sun hype was overdone;you just have to be careful if you live in a really sunny climate to not overdo and limit sun exposure.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:53 PM

7,458 posts, read 10,816,252 times
I'm a B-I-G fan of sunshine. I spend a good amount of time outdoors hiking the desert canyons trails of western Colorado. I NEVER use sunscreen becasue I am firmly convinced that the chemicals in suncreen are far more dangerous than exposure to the sun. I limit my exposure during the times when the sun is most intense ( 11AM to 3 PM ), especially during the months of May, June, July, & August. I prefer early morning exposure and late afternoon-evening exposure. Starting early in the year, I gradually build up my exposure time, so I never get sunburned. By the time the hot weather rolls around, I can stay out for quite a long time without getting burned. The trick is to gradually increase exposure time, and limit exposure during the most intesne sunlight. This lifelong strategy has served me very well. It works much better than sunscreen, and it's alot safer. For those times when I need to be out during the intense sunlight I wear sun protective clothing that I bought at REI. I encourage everyone to throw away your sunscreen, and use common sense with your exposure. The SUN is our friend, not our enemy!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 PM

2,722 posts, read 4,557,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I encourage everyone to throw away your sunscreen, and use common sense with your exposure. The SUN is our friend, not our enemy!
Agreed 100%

Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 AM

12,987 posts, read 23,492,481 times
I admit i'm a tad embarressed as my left arm is really dark and tanned from driving around alot as the Sun always shines on thru the window where as my right arm is less tanned so i look 2 toned....lol.....

Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 AM

7,064 posts, read 11,544,588 times
I agree with you all but what about skin cancer?
I have fair skin and like to do outdoorsy stuff and have to be careful.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:02 AM

2,486 posts, read 5,919,823 times
Where did people get the idea that sunblock would "block" the good benefits of the sun? Haha absurd! Slather on your sunscreen and head out. No skin cancer and absorb vitamin D---ding ding ding best of both worlds!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:54 PM

2,722 posts, read 4,557,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Where did people get the idea that sunblock would "block" the good benefits of the sun? Haha absurd! Slather on your sunscreen and head out. No skin cancer and absorb vitamin D---ding ding ding best of both worlds!

Go back in time before sunscreen ever existed, do you honestly believe skin cancer was as common as it is today?

There is more going on when it comes to skin cancer, the sun is not the root of the skin cancer problem. And yes I realize that's a controversial statement, it's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM

7,064 posts, read 11,544,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Go back in time before sunscreen ever existed, do you honestly believe skin cancer was as common as it is today?

There is more going on when it comes to skin cancer, the sun is not the root of the skin cancer problem. And yes I realize that's a controversial statement, it's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with it.
So in your opinion, what causes skin cancer? I guess I never gave it much thought; I always assumed it was too much sun when I was a kid.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:20 PM

9,926 posts, read 8,576,057 times
Coming from the country with the highest rate of melanoma in the world I'm very careful about my sun exposure, but I regularly take a Vitamin D suppliment, particularly in the winter time and have found it makes quite a difference to my well being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness