Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,011,569 times

Advertisements

Makes me wonder if any guys are lurking on this thread

I'm 48 and only occasionally have issues; always ascribed to diet. If I don't stay away from the salt and drink more water in the week leading up to, I suffer. Spouse tends to take notice when I have an urge to scarf chips and eat chocolate and warns "you know what next week is going to be like, right?" I have read that, water weight gain to the contrary, drinking lots of water helps to flush out the excess hormones flooding your system at that time of the month.

I actually went through a time earlier this year when I thought my body was winding down. There were 40 and 60 day intervals between cycles. Just as I was getting ready to do a happy dance, my doctor diagnosed me with severe anemia - I mean, she was ready to give me a blood transfusion to jump start my system I had gone to her with what I described as an increasing number of "barely have the will to live days."

She put me on some heavy duty iron supplements, which caused my uterine wall to roar back into production: a period that lasted 3 weeks! I'm now back to the usual; not sure if I want to call that good or bad; but I'm looking forward to the end - 35 years of this nonsense. That's just ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,338,614 times
Ponstel-an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory) may be the answer to mentrual pain. I just started taking it,in conjuction with my usual hydrocodone. Ponstel worked great-finally found something that works...and i have tried Toradol, Anaprox, and every NSAID known to mankind. Important to take Ponstel 2 tabs AT ONSET. go to your PCP and get an rx for some.
I am still going to get a Novasure (endometrial ablation) and oophorectomy for ovarian cyst, but in the meanwhile, Ponstel is giving me much needed relief-cant believe how long it took to find something-many years, and i am a Registered Nurse and had never heard of it, incredibly.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,674,776 times
It's true for me. Until I had my third child they lasted seven days, were heavy for three, and extremely painful. Now the last six days, are heavy for one to one-and-a-half days, and the cramping is mild. I'm 34 and have six kids.

Lucy

Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,598,788 times
For me, they have only got worse with age!
Especially the irritability.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,606,756 times
Mine were great in my twenties and early thirties while I was doing the pregnancy thing. Now, ha! My cramps are just like when I was a teen. Same with flow, plus I have a 23 day cycle. And the irritability! Man....its bad. Whats worse, is that my obgyn told me this is perimenopause, and it can last ten years

Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 AM

41,772 posts, read 74,778,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Can anyone suggest creative alturnative uses for these products?
Donate them to the local food pantry or food bank. You can't buy feminine hygiene products with food stamps, and there's always a need.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,730,771 times
My period definitely got worse after 30. In my 20s, I was on the pill and my periods were non-existent. Seriously! I'd go through a box of tampons every 6-8 months. Then I hit 31, went off the pill, and 10 years of nothing hit me like a freight train. Never had a cramp before (even in my teens), now I get them every month. I have 6-7 days of bleeding, 3 of them are very, very heavy. *grumble*

Slightly related, but in the past year I switched from tampons to a menstrual cup (I use the Diva). I am in love with it. Honestly, I think it did lessen the cramps somewhat (others online agree with this). But my favorite part is that when my periods got worse (age 31/32-ish), I starting having these teenage moments of leaking/staining, etc. Not so much anymore. My main reason for switching was b/c of our septic system and the inability to flush tampons, but now I am love and sing its praises

Old 07-08-2008, 06:40 PM

13 posts, read 41,560 times
My period is horrible, I always have cramps, back pain, and the worst thing is that I vomit; whetever I eat.
While I have my period, I should not eat for the day, otherwise, I will vomit it!
Do you experience vomiting?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 15,080 times
Hi,
I would get checked out for endimetrosis or fybroids. One out of seven women have it and it goes misdiagnosed. I had horrible cramps and lower back pain, just like I was in labor. They told me for years it was my back. I had sonagrams, and endimetrosis(I'm not spelling that right) doesn't show up on a simple sonagram. You have to get exploratory surgery. They put a camara through your belly button and they can see what is going on. It grows like tree roots and wraps around everything. It is crippling pain. I remember crawling when I had my period. They can lazer some of it and clean it up and probally help it quite a bit if that is what it is. They also percribe birth control non stop and it tricks your body to not have a period. These were all the things I did for years before I finally gave up and had a hysterectomy. Good luck to you

Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,332,648 times
My periods in my 20's were awful!! then I went on BCP's and short........to the day..........

Now,after having twins (3.5 now), they are soo bad! and clotty! sorry, tmi!! gross. They last 5 days!!!!!!!
I hope it dries up in a couple years lol..........I won't miss it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness