Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 PM

12 posts, read 58,949 times

Advertisements

I am scheduled for Carpal Tunnel Surgery next week and I am a little nervous. Does anyone have anything positive to tell me? Positive replies only at this time.

Thanks!!

Susanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHDallas View Post
I am scheduled for Carpal Tunnel Surgery next week and I am a little nervous. Does anyone have anything positive to tell me? Positive replies only at this time.

Thanks!!

Susanne
I would say you should rest easy. While no surgery is 100%, carpal tunnel release is pretty straightforward. Whether you are having the open procedure vs endoscopic it is not a large scar either way and it is a very quick procedure. Should take no more than 15 mins from skin to skin which is cutting to closing. Most patients I see notice improvement in symptoms very quickly, often the same day.

Good luck

Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
I had my left hand done last summer. I went into the operating room at 2:35, I was under anaesthesia by 2:40 and I looked at the clock in the recovery room at 3:08. It was very very simple surgery. My recovery was complicated by the fact that my mom became extremely ill the next day and when I should have been resting my hand, I was helping to get her to the ER, helping her in and out of a hospital bed, and using the hand much more than I should have. That activity increased my recovery time and pain in the incision area for several weeks, but gradually, the pain went away. I had had much more complicated wrist surgery on my right hand (de quervain's tenosynovitis) and that recovery was extremely fast and easy. I didn't have a mom in the hospital the next day after that one.

Really, it's a simple surgery and a fast recovery, as long as you rest that hand for several days afterward. I had my right hand done in 1995, back in the days when it was a 1.5 inch long incision longitudinally in my palm. THAT recovery was NASTY!!! This one was nothing (3/4 inch scar across my inner wrist right in a natural crease in my wrist.)

Regarding carpal tunnel symptoms, for several weeks post-surgery, I still had some symptoms, but after about a month, I've never had my hand go to sleep or tingle or do any of the things it used to do. The surgery was WELL worth it. Best of luck to you!!! YOu'll be glad you did it!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Thank you soooo much!! I have been so upset about the surgery and the fact that I have to have Ulnar Transposition Surgery at the same time.

Regards,

Susanne

Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM

So you have ulnar nerve entrapment as well? I do, too, but I haven't had anything done about that yet. I probably won't because it happens infrequently. Did you doctor tell you what kind of recovery to expect?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM

Dr. said recovery is pretty pain free just a lot of bruising. I have to have the surgery since I have atrophy in my hand. I just pray my hand returns to normal again, there is no guarantee. So I am actually having 3 surgeries next Tuesday, carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve transposition, and athoscopic on my elbow for a torn UCL. I have been so upset about all of this but I've felt better today. It really helps talking to other people. I'm one of those who needs a support group when going through tough things like this.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I had endoscopic CTS on both wrists in 2000 (a few months apart of course). Right hand still bothers me sometimes, but is much better. I still get pain and have a weak grip but the real bad "keep me awake at night pain", the numbness, tingling, etc, is gone.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 PM

Thank you for your message. This is really helping me. I wish I could get the same responses for my Ulnar Nerve Transposition surgery!!

Thanks a million :-)

Susanne

Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 PM

From what I have read, there isn't a whole lot of pain after the repositioning surgery (of course there is some, but my doctor said it really isn't too bad.) Full recovery and the ability to use your arm normally may take 4-6 months, but it's far better than having your hand useless as it sounds like it might be now. Are all the procedures on the same arm? Just be prepared to do things one-handed for awhile. Make sure you have some elastic waist pants because it's REALLY hard to snap or button pants with only one hand, particularly if they aren't really loose. Even pulling up pants can be difficult! And if you're having surgery on your dominant hand, expect some things to be really difficult (like brushing teeth.) Socks are pretty difficult (panty hose is impossible)

Also, you'll need to bag your arm in order to take a shower for awhile. Be sure to have large enough bags to contain your arm up to your shoulder and rubber bands to hold out the water.

Can you tell I've done this before???

You'll be VERY happy you did this in the long run. Recovery is never fun, but to get better, you need to go through that. And don't expect too much too soon. It takes time for the body to get back to normal.

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you next Tuesday!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
From what I have read, there isn't a whole lot of pain after the repositioning surgery (of course there is some, but my doctor said it really isn't too bad.) Full recovery and the ability to use your arm normally may take 4-6 months, but it's far better than having your hand useless as it sounds like it might be now. Are all the procedures on the same arm? Just be prepared to do things one-handed for awhile. Make sure you have some elastic waist pants because it's REALLY hard to snap or button pants with only one hand, particularly if they aren't really loose. Even pulling up pants can be difficult! And if you're having surgery on your dominant hand, expect some things to be really difficult (like brushing teeth.) Socks are pretty difficult (panty hose is impossible)

Also, you'll need to bag your arm in order to take a shower for awhile. Be sure to have large enough bags to contain your arm up to your shoulder and rubber bands to hold out the water.

Can you tell I've done this before???

You'll be VERY happy you did this in the long run. Recovery is never fun, but to get better, you need to go through that. And don't expect too much too soon. It takes time for the body to get back to normal.

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you next Tuesday!
Yes, all 3 surgeries are on the same arm. You are so kind!! I really like what you had to say about the recuperation and not to expect too much too soon. This was all really practical and helpful information.

Did you have a big scar from the transposition? I'm not sure what to expect. The dr. said 4 in. and the nurse said 2 in. I hate thinking that I'm going to have all of these scars.

Thanks again,

Susanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness