U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:27 PM

5,102 posts, read 10,000,689 times
Kimmiey, there is a total disconnect between what the media shows us, and how many fast food restaurants we drive past on any given day. I was at the market the other day, and on one magazine, the headline was "Lose 20 lbs in four weeks" or something like that. Then there was another magazine next to it that said "25 Luscious Desserts"! Again, I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

Along the same lines, I actually cut this out once: Two ads, side by side. One was for Tommy's Famous Burgers. The next one was "Wire Your Jaw Shut to Lose Weight!"

I think as long as you feel healthy and can move freely (no aching knees or ankles), who cares what you weigh?

I'm 5 feet tall, petite, and I feel fat when I don't exercise. After some resistance, I've finally accepted that exercise is going to have to be a part of my life forever from now on. I stopped for three months, and I feel like a slug, and have put some weight on. Darned metabolism!!! Sometimes I really dislike being over 40! So, I'm going back to it starting Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 PM

138 posts, read 292,693 times
mm mary73- the ratio that you listed is used for the majority of insurance companies and healthcare workers. It seems to be a very decent scale. The person who said they were 5'5" and weighed 160 is mildly obese- I know, as I got up to that area about 3 years ago after a serious surgery. I usually weigh about 125. I was shocked to see the scale, and I think in denial that I was 'fat'- but yes, 5'5" and 150-160 IS fat! Getting back to a more decent weight made me open my eyes. You cannot be healthy and be overweight at the same time- you might feel fine, but there are insidious health issues going on inside. Why are people so infatuated with big portions of food? Is it a greedy complex? Do they think bigger is better? Is it possibly that they are not happy with themselves and will not face up to the fact that they are fat? I see greed in other areas as well- people want a 3,ooosf house- they want the big SUV- the expensive clothes. How did our society get so lazy that walking to the store is almost unheard of? Do you see people riding a bike for exercise? How many people do you see walking a dog for more than a few blocks? How many kids are outside getting exercise in play- the computer type toys seem to be more popular. I see part of the problem being that the foods that we should eat are the foods that are so expensive that it is hard to buy them- breads, pasta, snack foods are cheaper than good fresh fruit, fresh vegatables, fresh fish. If you look back 30-40 years, there were not the amount of obese people, people were happier with 'average'- average homes, cars, meals, jobs. What has happened that we eat like a hippo?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:27 PM

19 posts, read 77,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Probably a dumb question. But I won't know if I don't ask.
Can someone tell me about green Tea? Is it suppose to help with weight lose and if so, how?
Not a tea drinker.
Read this: http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea-faqs5.htm

I know it's just an anecdote, but I think it's a good description of the benefits of green tea. Something about green tea is different, it doesn't give you a temporary buzz like black tea or coffee, it seems to boost your energy for the entire day.

The problem with green tea is it's hard to get it to taste good. You have to heat the water to the exact right temperature, and you have to buy fresh whole green tea leaves from the first or second harvest. (The powdered stuff isn't that great, most of the time it's not even green.) If you buy the wrong kind of tea or use water that's too hot the tea gets real bitter. When it's made the right way it's delicious though. You can get good green tea from the website I linked to, or from a company called rishi for a lot cheaper. They sell rishi tea at whole foods.

You don't need a japanese teapot, but I think it's worth the effort to get one.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:36 PM

1,318 posts, read 4,039,446 times
"The person who said they were 5'5" and weighed 160 is mildly obese- I know, as I got up to that area about 3 years ago after a serious surgery. I usually weigh about 125. I was shocked to see the scale, and I think in denial that I was 'fat'- but yes, 5'5" and 150-160 IS fat!"

I'm 5'4" & 150lbs & NOBODY would call me FAT!!!
For ME it's heavy - I used to always be "skinny", but age & lack of exercise due to "injuries" has made me gain over the years...
I should probably lose anywhere from 10-20lbs, but I eat pretty healthy! (I AM vegan!) But it really does depend on your build & a zillion other things.
I have heard, and agree, that it's better to be heavy & exercise/eat right, than be skinny & sedentary/eat unhealthy...

Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 PM

1,797 posts, read 5,094,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
How did our society get so lazy that walking to the store is almost unheard of?
Most suburban housing developments are so spread out that there are no stores within reasonable walking distance. I am lucky enough to live within a half mile walk of almost any store that I need, so I typically walk to a lot of small shopping trips. I use car or bicycle when when I need to purchase lots of bags of groceries.
Quote:
Do you see people riding a bike for exercise?
By the thousands in my area, probably more than any other place in the country. I also use my bike for commuting to work most days of the week. Bicycles are great transportation vehicles and are under utilized for this purpose everywhere in the US. Contrast that to many other countries where bicycles are commonly used for transportation. Bikes turn transportation into calorie burning exercise, and it doesn't even seem like you are "working out", it's enjoyable.
Quote:
I see part of the problem being that the foods that we should eat are the foods that are so expensive that it is hard to buy them- breads, pasta, snack foods are cheaper than good fresh fruit, fresh vegatables, fresh fish. If you look back 30-40 years, there were not the amount of obese people, people were happier with 'average'- average homes, cars, meals, jobs. What has happened that we eat like a hippo?
Fresh fruits and veggies are less expensive than buying packaged and prepared foods. Today I went to the grocery store and got 4 shopping bags of groceries. The only "packaged" items were a loaf of bread, 3 quarts soy milk and some frozen buffalo meat burgers. Bill was under $35. If I had bought breakfast cereal and a half dozen frozen box meals instead, the total would have been almost the same.
My diet theory is don't diet. Walk a lot, pedal a bike or whatever to keep your machine in motion every day. Eat plenty of food that charges metabolism, tastes good and is healthy. Hot whole grain cereal + fruit for breakfast, fruit+salad+protein food at lunch, brown rice+veggies+fruit at dinner. For snacks, almonds, figs / fig bars, fruit. All this food will fill you up, but won't fill you with sodium, sugar and fat calories.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:10 AM

5,676 posts, read 10,193,342 times
When I graduated from high school back in '68, I weighed a mear 98 pounds and was 6 foot tall. Now, that is skinny! I had a high metabolism rate and just couldn't gain weight. When I enlisted in the Navy, right after graduation, I was really afraid the Navy was going to "cut" me from Boot Camp due to my weight.....they didn't "cut" me, but did let a few guys go that were fairly over-weight. While in the Navy, I gained some nice weight, but still not enough to be at my right weight for my height/body type. Finally, at age 40, I got up to 175 and looked good. I stayed between 175 and 185 until I hit 50 years old and then the weight just started going up faster. Now, 2007, I'm
6'1" and weigh 240 and most of that is in my belly area. In the last seven years, my metabolism has slowed wayyyyyyyyy down. I have been told that that comes with age......getting heavier.
Since I had my right hip replaced a year and a half ago, I can not due any high impact exercises. My wife and I are planning on doing "some" changes to our diet (eat healthier), so that MAYBE we both can lose at least a little weight.
Also, in this day/age a lot of 20/30 year old men want their girlfriends or wives to be skinny and the women want their men to be "hunky". There are also so, so, so many commercials on the Tube now days telling people, "look at me....I lost this much weight and feel so, so great and SEXY". Well, at our age (me/57, wife/59) we are beyond looking "sexy".

Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
Funny story - woman pulls up to the drive thru and you can hear her order "Big mac, large fries - no wait, supersize that, and an apple pie. And a Large Diet Coke to drink."

WHAT is the purpose in loading up with junk and then drinking diet? Have you noticed the word inside the word? DIE...T. Think about it.
I've actually been known to do that, though not with that much food (my appetite is small!)... I don't eat fast-food anymore, but when I did, I always ordered a diet coke with it! That's just because it's all I've ever had, and the taste of regular soda makes me gag. I'm a diabetic, so my doctor took me off anything high in sugar when I was a kid... one regular soda would actually be more dangerous for me than a Big Mac. But yeah, I get your point & it's funny.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:22 AM

24,777 posts, read 27,778,402 times
Quote:
mm mary73- the ratio that you listed is used for the majority of insurance companies and healthcare workers. It seems to be a very decent scale. The person who said they were 5'5" and weighed 160 is mildly obese- I know, as I got up to that area about 3 years ago after a serious surgery. I usually weigh about 125. I was shocked to see the scale, and I think in denial that I was 'fat'- but yes, 5'5" and 150-160 IS fat!
Maybe for YOU it's fat, but certainly not for everyone!! Would you like to see pictures of me at 160? I don't think you'd be able to call me "obese", since I was fitting into a size 10 & looked perfectly healthy... if that's obese in your mind, I think you might have a warped view. As many of us have stated, it varies according to each person's individual body structure & frame.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-21-2007 at 03:52 AM..

Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 AM

13,321 posts, read 29,633,471 times
I am 5' 6 and a half inches, medium to slender frame, and I like to be thin at 125 (used to be even skinnier, but that was almost too thin.)

I like to walk and swim and eat healthy foods but am no goody-goody food fetish type. I like chocolate and cheesecake (or chocolate cheesecake!) as much as the next person. I just like moderation.

It breaks my heart to see women (and some young men) who have eating disorders. I've known several. It is a difficult mental illness to beat.

OTOH
Belly fat is really something to look out for; it is known as a risk factor for heart disease--same with diabetes.
Both my parents died young, and my in-laws, who were both heavy, died before their time. I am hoping that my husband and I can avoid that.
But I could get hit by a truck tomorrow. That's why I'll never give up that slice of cheesecake.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:13 AM

850 posts, read 2,067,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Kimmiey, there is a total disconnect between what the media shows us, and how many fast food restaurants we drive past on any given day. I was at the market the other day, and on one magazine, the headline was "Lose 20 lbs in four weeks" or something like that. Then there was another magazine next to it that said "25 Luscious Desserts"! Again, I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.

Along the same lines, I actually cut this out once: Two ads, side by side. One was for Tommy's Famous Burgers. The next one was "Wire Your Jaw Shut to Lose Weight!"

I think as long as you feel healthy and can move freely (no aching knees or ankles), who cares what you weigh?

I'm 5 feet tall, petite, and I feel fat when I don't exercise. After some resistance, I've finally accepted that exercise is going to have to be a part of my life forever from now on. I stopped for three months, and I feel like a slug, and have put some weight on. Darned metabolism!!! Sometimes I really dislike being over 40! So, I'm going back to it starting Monday.
Sandy - this is precisely what I am talking about! It is as though one venue is 'feeding' the other (pardon the pun), but sometimes I cannot help but wonder if there is not some big conspiracy afoot.

I can see it now - an exec in the food industry is talking to an exec in the diet industry and says - 'we can keep clients coming your way, you just have to make the diet work for a short period of time, which will send them back to us. You know, make the food so bland they can't take the taste for long - whatever. Then, we'll fatten them up and send them back to you. Its a win, win - don't you think?'

Obviously this is a wild idea - but sometimes you cannot help but wonder if they are not in it together. Dieting is a yo-yo back and forth, and just avbout the time the food cravings are under control - KFC comes out with those silly combo bowls
: mashed potatoes mixed with corn, gravy, cheese and fried chicken tenders. Can you hear the arteies clogging around the world????

What I do know - healthy has to come before weight - and if we live and eat to be healthy - the weight will stabilize. The only thing we cannot control is body makeup and genes. For those of us with Family history, we do have to work harder - but we can still make the lbs. go away. And, in eating to be healthy, many of the illnesses around will begin to ebb also. Its just a matter of the right combination without giving in to what the rest of the world says. Everytime I hear "there is no cure for.." I want to scream - because it isn't true!

Just be comfortable and healthy - who cares what the magazines tell us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness