Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 PM

453 posts, read 454,381 times

Advertisements

Since I've left the military six years ago, folks noticed that my hair was thinning. I've gotten back into shape and lost 40 pounds, but my self-confidence hasn't returned with it. At age 31, I feel like I'm 21 again after doing the P90X program. However, I hate looking like I'm 41 every time I take a gander in the mirror. I've tried Rogaine, Procerin, and other products but they seem futile. If I had the money, I would've had a hair transplant by now, but that's not a viable option at this point. I'm tired of worrying whether or not it will ever return. For the past five months, I've used this special shampoo called Nioxin. I see only a slight difference, but I don't have a full head of hair again. Perhaps these products only stopped the hair from falling out.

Night before last, I started applying olive oil to my scalp before retiring each evening. I even hang my head over the bed's edge bed for good measure. Several folks have complemented my physical transformation, yet I still feel incomplete because of this damn hair situation. I'm not shaving, either. I know some ladies find that sexy on some men, but not this guy. With my blond Aryan features, I'll look like a neo-Nazi with a shaved head. Several black people harassed me at the airport in Philadelphia after I graduated boot camp with my shaved head, and I won't relive that again. Needless to say, I live amid a Jewish neighborhood with a synagogue across the street. Both of the local supermarkets are kosher, and I don't think that would bode well with the clientele and employees.

The problem with hair transplants is that there's no money back guarantee should something go wrong. I don't want it to look fake like that of Nicolas Cage who now looks like a Chia pet because his hair grows backwards. For the same reason, I'm not wearing a toupee, either. Indeed not every man is blessed with great hair like Richard Gere, but I at least would like to have all my natural hair back. Does anyone know of some diet techniques, supplements, or what the best products are to make it work? Must I be fortunate enough to land a real job during this recession as a newly college graduate and get a hair transplant? Is that my only hope, or is there something out there that guaranteed to work? If anyone has any good recommendations on how to have a head of thick hair again, please do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 PM

36,973 posts, read 40,923,413 times
Daugenstein ~

First, thank you for your military service!

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed treatment for restoring hair. If you have not already done so, consult with a dermatologist to make sure there is no underlying health issue that if treated might help with the problem.

If what you have is male pattern baldness, medications that inhibit dihydrotestosterone (DHT) do produce some improvement. The most potent of these is Propecia, which is taken by mouth and available only by prescription. Men who take it tend to see the bald spot shrink, hair loss lessens, and there is overall improvement in appearance of the hair. Propecia is expensive, and I have no idea about insurance coverage, but since it is a cosmetic treatment I suspect it will not be.

If you are interested in a transplant, why not get a consultation? A dermatologist might be able to refer you to someone reputable. I have no idea what the cost is, but they may be able to set you up with some type of payment plan. And you could always start saving for it now, even if only a few dollars at a time.

I do have a cousin who had a transplant, and he was satisfied with his results. That was a long time ago, too, and I know techniques have improved.

As far as shaving is concerned, your fears may be unwarranted. Was the harassment at the airport because you looked like a skinhead --- or because you looked military? To me, it takes more than a shaved head to invoke images of Neo-Nazis --- like tattoos, chains, and an attitude! I suspect that if you get to know your neighbors and local merchants and treat them with courtesy, they will not care one whit what you decide to do about your hair.

I would suggest that you ask your barber the best way to cut your hair. Please do not do the comb-over route! It just calls attention to the thinning.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 08-29-2010 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 PM

427 posts, read 546,884 times
I'm going to respond to your post in a way you may not want. Survey, done by a woman, over 5 year period, with women ranging from 17 to 75. Listed in order(from most important to least important), what women find attractive in men.

Sense of humor.
Personality.
acceptance of self.
great eyes.
good self esteem.
love to dance.
affectionate.
Don't freak out over little things.
like to cook.
keep themsleves healthy.
Aren't afraid fo pick up a baby.
cleanliness.
like pets.
Remember special dates.
Good manners.
Mentally stable.
Financially stable.
hair.
What kind of car they drive.
Please note where hair is on the list!!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 PM

453 posts, read 454,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Daugenstein ~

First, thank you for your military service!

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed treatment for restoring hair. If you have not already done so, consult with a dermatologist to make sure there is no underlying health issue that if treated might help with the problem.

If what you have is male pattern baldness, medications that inhibit dihydrotestosterone (DHT) do produce some improvement. The most potent of these is Propecia, which is taken by mouth and available only by prescription. Men who take it tend to see the bald spot shrink, hair loss lessens, and there is overall improvement in appearance of the hair. Propecia is expensive, and I have no idea about insurance coverage, but since it is a cosmetic treatment I suspect it will not be.

If you are interested in a transplant, why not get a consultation? A dermatologist might be able to refer you to someone reputable. I have no idea what the cost is, but they may be able to set you up with some type of payment plan. And you could always start saving for it now, even if only a few dollars at a time.

I do have a cousin who had a transplant, and he was satisfied with his results. That was a long time ago, too, and I know techniques have improved.

As far as shaving is concerned, your fears may be unwarranted. Was the harassment at the airport because you looked like a skinhead --- or because you looked military? To me, it takes more than a shaved head to invoke images of Neo-Nazis --- like tattoos, chains, and an attitude! I suspect that if you get to know your neighbors and local merchants and treat them with courtesy, they will not care one whit what you decide to do about your hair.

I would suggest that you ask your barber the best way to cut your hair. Please do not do the comb-over route! It just calls attention to the thinning.
Thank you for your input. Propecia sounds great on paper, but there's also a major drawback. One of the known side effects is that it decreases your sperm count and affects your male plumbing. I will compromise my libido to make my hair grow back. It reminds me of when my older brother, a fitness trainer, suggested I consume nothing but six protein shakes a day until I reach my target weight. I will not destroy my kidneys and have major constipation just to get lean. The solution to one problem can be the catalyst to another, and I'm not replacing one headache with another.

I did have a consultation at Bosley last week, but I got bad vibes from the guy. I told him I would do the transplant as a last resort if nothing else worked, and I didn't have the dough to have it done. He then gave me some brochures for their clinic in Houston (which is about a three hour drive from me.) Then the man told me I should use Rogaine and other products I already know about. Plus, he wanted to sell me a bunch of expensive stuff like a laser brush. He didn't get the message that I didn't have the means to undergo all these fancy procedures.

Fortunately, my uncle came over to my house today for a Sunday visit. He also underwent hair transplants in different phases. He articulated how he would some transplants done one year, and then more a few years later. It saved him money in the long run in lieu of having the entire thing done at once only to see his hair thinning and experiencing the "Toy Doll Effect" which is what Nicolas Cage has. That means the healthy hairs remain, but the other thinning hairs are gone whereby making the subject's hair look like that of a Raggedy Ann doll. Now I've even considered having it done overseas somewhere like Thailand.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,595,574 times
First, make sure you are getting an adequate calorie load for your size. It's more important in retaining hair than protein only. (I went through a hair loss after gastric bypass - I was getting 60+ g of protein/day but only 500 cal/day). Then alfafa pills are supposed to help regrow hair/prevent more loss, as it something called BiolSil. I can't vouch for the supplemenbts but they are cheaper than prescriptions. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,720,177 times
Well I don't know whether you value one person's input on this but I know I'm not alone. I happen to find bald men attractive--assuming that everything else is, as it sounds like you are with your P90x workouts, lol. Just make the rest of you the best you can be and let that go, b/c I don't think it will hurt your chances with women.

That said, I've tried a supplement that worked for me when I started to lose hair, but I have no idea whether it work for a man. It's homeopathic silica, and you can get it at a health food store. It's cheap enough to try and if you don't see results within a week, it probably won't work for you.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,300,617 times
Agree that silica is good for hair health. Also egg yolks.

Years ago, read that rubbing cayenne pepper onto your scalp helps to restore hair loss, .. not sure how accurate it is.

Here's a site with some info .. Cayenne Pepper for Hair Loss

Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 AM

107 posts, read 150,949 times
Well, from a womans stand point I would agree with grandpa's list; I think it's pretty accurate. I think the hair issue only becomes a real player if you project yourself as being uncomfortable with it. Women want a man whose self assured and confident. If your upset about your lack of hair (understandable), but that in and of itself will draw her attention to your lack of hair.

It sounds like your taking care of yourself, good manners, a decent education, job, morals, and self esteem should take you as far as you want to go in the dating world. Like I said look at Grandpa's list it really is more your issue than it would be a womans issue. My advice...embrace it, get comfortable with it. Women love a guy with a great self esteem! Also, many women actually find a fit guy whose bald to be very attractive, so if your really losing a lot of hair forget the ball cap it only draws attention to it and screams I'm balding and not comfortable with it.

As a FYI my hubby's also losing his hair and he uses coconut oil as a preconditioner and then shampoos after 15 min or so. I think it's as effective as rogaine. That being said if he ever loses to much hair I'm going to have him shave it all because I do find it attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness