Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had arthoscopic surgery on the shoulder(s)?

What was your experience? Did it take awhile to recover to full/normal strength?

I'm due for this surgery here soon! Any info would be appreciated.

BTW-Yes, i've talked to my doctor about it but would like some info from people who actually went through with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 03:31 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Sorry to hear that, Blue Grass. My oldest daughter has had it done more times than I can count on her knees. The recuperation period has never been very long. She was usually on crutches for a week and then had exercises to do to strengthen her knee. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I haven't had it myself, but two friends did. One friend was past sixty, the other middle-aged. Both made a rapid recovery.

Good luck with the surgery and take care!

Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
My sister's had it on her shoulder many times, and would probably agree with the above... it has a fairly quick recovery time, and leaves minimal scarring. I'm supposed to have it on both knees eventually, but trying to put it off for a while. Don't worry too much, though, and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 AM

122 posts, read 179,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

What was your experience? Did it take awhile to recover to full/normal strength?

BTW-Yes, i've talked to my doctor about it but would like some info from people who actually went through with it.

I went through arthriscopic surgery on my knee when I was 16 after tearing it up playing softball in high school. I have 2 small scars on either side of my knee cap. I was on crutches for about 2 weeks and then had to do exercises/therapy for about 2 months. No problems since. (20 years)

Old 01-24-2007, 03:27 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

Be religious about physical therapy afterward - a bad complication (of sorts) after surgery is frozen shoulder. Talk to your ortho about it. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:34 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Yes, I've had it twice for torn meniscus (did I spell that right?). The surgery itself is painless.

I have three small incisions - not noticeable - had the procedure done twice on the same knee - now I have 6 small incisions, but the first three have disappeared entirely.

Nothing to fear, so plesae don't worry. What are you having done? I'll be glad to answer your questions.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 PM

229 posts, read 232,603 times
Default Eeekkk !!!

Blue Grass Fever... OK.. [i] hate to be the little black rain cloud in all this cheery advice but it must be done. I had my first shoulder surgery a year ago march. I went in for a labrum repair and they found that my rotator cuff was split in three places when I was in surgery. I had the second surgery in July for the frozen shoulder that resulted. (It is true that you must be rigorous with your PT exercises at home but frozen shoulder can happen even if you do everything to the letter.) After the second surgery there was more PT but now my insurance allotted visits had run out so I paid out of pocket. Be sure to check with your ins. co. for how many PT visits per year they cover. If you do not see vast improvements in your range of motion after the first few weeks of PT after your surgery, get back to your Dr. and see if you will be needing what they call " manipulation surgery" which is the fix for frozen shoulder and excess scar tissue and encapsulation.Basically, they make your arm do what it is supposed to do (while you are knocked out). You do not want to waste PT visits getting nowhere as you will be back in PT if you need the second surgery. It is now 6 months later and I can still not move in certain directons or lift anything out to my right side. Oh... another thing, watch the meds. !!!! I was taking hydrocodone every four hours and it did a good job. I was never in lala land as some say and I could set a watch by the pain when the fourth hour was almost done. I NEVER took two as the bottle said and I am very glad for it. When you decide to cease pain pills, do it gradually. I did and still had about a week or so of not sleeping due to restless leg syndrome and just being superiorly edgy. It was so bad that I hardly took anything for pain after the second surgery. Get yourself a good recliner !!!! It will be impossible for you to sleep in bed for awhile. I bought an old low to the ground granny rocker recliner and lived in it for months. It is funny, that chair was my best friend after surgery. I literally lived in it when I was not at therapy or doing my home program and now... I have no idea how I slept in it. I can barely sit comfortably in it now. tee hee Anyway, feel free to ask more questions or type when you are laid up. I now have 12 scars on my shoulder and can relate. ......when is surgery ??

Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Thanks for all the comments and advice!

The injury is the acromioclavicular joint/muscle with impingement hence the reason for arthoscopic surgery to clean the bone spur(s). My shoulder tends to "click" and lock up on occasions.

I will probably get it done in two to three weeks! (depending on my schedule)

Once again, thanks for looking out!

Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times
Blue Grass - I really think you will do fine - you'll be sore after - for sure - but just hang in there with the rehab. That is essential to restrengthen your muscles. Patients I had coming from back surgery or neck surgery always said a few weeks out - they thought they would never recover. But I told them surgery on ANY body part puts stress on your entire system. It just takes time. Must crawl before we walk!

My ex-husband had the rotator cuff surgery and did well. Considering men are usually more whiney (LOL!) - he did well.

I have had the right knee done twice - and like Gizmo - I know I need it again - just putting it off!

The worst recovery experience I had was from Thyroid surgery. I soon learned to pump up the nutrition, take my vitamins, and rest. I am bad about that.
The last knee surgery I had in 2004 - I painted my kitchen from a chair, and hung my leg behind me on the ladder. Yes - I am goofy. But OCD can't be helped sometimes!

You'll do fine. Prayers for you.

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness