U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM

8,415 posts, read 35,315,448 times

Advertisements

Yeh. Possible death & being sterile for a few thousand dollars.

Not really worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,064,100 times
I have a friend who already did it, and I have a friend who is about to donate. They both understand the risks but also can't deny that in these times, the money is very helpful. I think any woman doing it needs to be absolutely sure that she can commit fully as it's an arduous process, very invasive and there are a LOT of questions you have to answer before you are even considered to be a donor.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,848 times
Any medical procedure has risks, but for the most part the pros out weigh the cons. This is really only for people who have a calling in their hearts to help couples concieve. If you are having doubts or are only thinking about money, then I wouldn't consider donating your eggs. The risks are their when you take cold medicine or prescription meds, but you still take them knowing that 1 in 1 million might experience negative effects. This is a great way to help others and of course you get compensated, but that is for payment of the time you have to take to make doctors appt. and such.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,064,328 times
I just could not stand the thought of a little me growing up somewhere.

It's akin to giving my baby up for adoption.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:47 PM

Nobody is laying a hand on my eggs!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:53 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,609,773 times
I'm in the process of registering for the donor registry right now. I think it's a super cool thing, and I'd love to help a family in need...though I have to admit, a large part of it is the pre-med curiosity about the procedure.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I'm in the process of registering for the donor registry right now. I think it's a super cool thing, and I'd love to help a family in need...though I have to admit, a large part of it is the pre-med curiosity about the procedure.
Well, that's one way to get your genes out there and circulating. At least it won't give your stretch marks.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,609,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Well, that's one way to get your genes out there and circulating. At least it won't give your stretch marks.
That's pretty much my dad's take on it...he's totally psyched about having anonymous grandkids somewhere in the world.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,768 times
Default Egg donor risks and dangers

Women who decide to donate their eggs need to know about the health risks. Every medical procedure has health risks, and egg donation is no different. The thing about egg donation is that there aren't a lot of studies or research. We know there are some risks, but we don't know the extent or scope of all the risks.

One thing to keep in mind is that egg donors undergo much of the same treatment as infertile women who undergo IVF, so the risks to egg donors have been described as comparable to women who get IVF.

The most documented dangers involved with egg donation are ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome and complications from the egg retrieval procedure.

This article says:
"In one study of 674 women who underwent egg retrieval, 1.5 percent required hospitalization due to complications occurring during or after surgery." (Source: [url=http://www.fertilitynation.com/7-egg-donation-risks-every-donor-should-know-about/]Egg Donor Risks[/url])

Since there are no regulations of egg donor programs, it's important to find reputable ones that abide by the ASRM guidelines. A reputable egg donor program should inform donors of the risks to their physical and mental health and assure that they get informed consent.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,463,864 times
I don't understand how anyone would want to do this? The fact that I would have a child out there that I knew nothing about would seriously drive me insane. No amount of money in the world would allow me to do this. I am just curious how it doesn't bother some people to know that they are essentially giving away their own child and they will never know that child. What if the people who pay for the eggs end up treating the resultant child badly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness