Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,483,120 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:00 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
nebulous1 wrote:
Funny how it works, if we didn't have these mistakes, we would never know how not to make them!
Funny how it works for me, even when I make them, I don't always know how not to make them the next time around.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
That is a defeatist attitude.

Look at 95 y'o Jack Lalanne who can still do 500 pushups daily and then go to any nursing home and look at those old and frail folks and see which you'd choose. I choose Jack Lalanne as my longevity idol and when i'm 95 i'll still be shooting hoops and listening to Blondie as they'll be amazed at me in the future as i'll always be youngish in my body and attitude as diet and exercise can beat almost any disease .

Old 08-16-2008, 06:47 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,095,235 times
Smile Brick walls are obstacles to make us stronger! Poor health is just a temporary brick wall. Get past it!!

I'm in agreement with you 6/3. Many of us are predisposed to life-threatening diseases and many of us already suffer from them. To me, life is well worth living regardless of the potential for a future disease or the untidiness of caring for a current one.

Yeah, I take a lot of prescription meds. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Is it worth it to me to swallow a handful of pills everyday and maybe give up some restaurant meals or a trip to the Bahamas to pay for the Rx's? You bet! That is one more day that I can be with my family, that I can feel the warmth of the sun, that I can hear the birds singing, that I can enjoy a good (and, very healthful) meal with those that I hold dear.

I think to have a fatalistic attitude because one has a medical condition that may be life-threatening (We'll all going to die of something!) or even the potential for an inconvenient health condition (Who wants a leaky bladder?) is totally disrespectful of life and the gift of ourselves that we can offer the rest of mankind.

I choose not to throw my life away because of my health conditions and crummy prognosis because I am way too busy living it!!!

I eat the best and healthiest foods that I can, I watch my weight, avoid all of those nasty greasy fattening snack foods, and exercise to the best of my ability. I keep a smile on my face so that others don't end up with a frown on theirs. When I am smiling on the outside something magical happens on the inside. Others are infected with your happy demeanor and you cannot help but feel and reflect that yourself.

Give up because you are going to die of some awful ailment when you are 90? Hooray! That means I have almost 28 more years of fun before I shut my eyes for good!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:43 PM

438 posts, read 1,726,192 times
Twixcookie,

I've been lurking on this thread and have wanted to respond several times and stop myself. For some people poor health is not temporary and it's not lifestyle driven. Sometimes you just draw the short straw. Living healthy doesn't guarantee you won't end up with MS or Lou Gehrig's disease. It doesn't make you immune to strokes. Just like eating junk food doesn't mean you won't just have a heart attack and die without a lingering illness. It's cliche but true - there are no guarantees in life.

I was dx'd with breast cancer at age 29. No history in my family. Healthy weight. Very active. Since then I've had congestive heart failure, 2 bouts of sepsis, arthritis in my back, and on and on and on. I've also packed on about 70 lbs in 10 yrs with isn't helping matters. Not to mention how hard it's been to pay bills and give up on dreams. Early retirement or less stressful (and less paying) job is no longer an option.

I've been to some scary places in my mind during times and I've even been to a point where I've just prayed to die so I could be done with it all. Those moments have been fleeting because thoughts of my daughter are what make life worth living. I want to be here to see her grow up and to protect her for as long as I can.

I've failed at eating healthy. Blame stress, blame health. Whatever - it's an excuse. Sometimes you far so fall, so quickly that it's hard to find a toehold to pull yourself up. I can rationalize it because I got sick when I lived a healthy lifestyle. Again, that's an excuse because I know I'm struggling and junk food has become a crutch for me. They don't call it comfort food for nothing!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every person's reason for choosing to live healthy and prolong their life instead of living hard and dying young is as different as the person. Could be seeing a child grow up, seeing grandchildren enter the world or just outliving an adversary Each person needs to find that reason inside themselves or make the choice that it's not for them.

I wish you peace in your heart and a life well-lived.

Dea

Old 08-17-2008, 12:43 AM

638 posts, read 3,113,642 times
I'd like to publicly apologize to the OP because I didn't intend my posts here to sound accusatory and judgmental towards the OP. I'd wanted to do this earlier this week but had computer problems after a storm Tuesday and didn't get back online til yesterday.

I just quit a job that showed me the underbelly of our "healthcare" system and colored my remarks throughout this whole thread. I did state the facts here; I did not mean to go off topic, nor did I mean to imply anything negative about the OP.

I am sorry.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:55 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,639,883 times
There is a great book called Younger Next Year that I think is super. There is a men's and women's version. He says if you are going to live a long life you might as well be healthy. I don't want to be the one in the nursing home lingering....
I want to feel good as long and I can. I want to contribute to the world and enjoy my grandkids.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,095,235 times
That is an excellent book, driftwoodpt.

I think it is important, also, to recognize that some of us will end up in nursing homes due to the aftermath of a stroke or other debilitating condition.

This does not mean that life loses all of it quality and joy. Both of my parents were in nursing homes for the last couple years of their lives due to debilitating diseases that precluded home care any longer.

My father in particular led a wonderful, joyous life in the nursing home. He made others happy and gained many friends. He was an asset to that community just as he was to the one I grew up in.

It is so important to look inside of ourselves, see what is missing and try to fill that spot, and look forward to enjoying one's life in spite of the pitfalls along the way. I have an incurable disease that will eventually sideline me, but I am not about to stop living a good, full, happy life.

If I let it consume me I would still have the disease, have close to the same outcome, but the in between years will be oh, so different. I choose to live them well and take care of future events when they become present events.

I hope you find some peace and encouragement, Twix, because you still have so much productive living to enjoy.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 PM

638 posts, read 3,113,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
That is an excellent book, driftwoodpt.

I think it is important, also, to recognize that some of us will end up in nursing homes due to the aftermath of a stroke or other debilitating condition.

This does not mean that life loses all of it quality and joy. Both of my parents were in nursing homes for the last couple years of their lives due to debilitating diseases that precluded home care any longer.

My father in particular led a wonderful, joyous life in the nursing home. He made others happy and gained many friends. He was an asset to that community just as he was to the one I grew up in.

It is so important to look inside of ourselves, see what is missing and try to fill that spot, and look forward to enjoying one's life in spite of the pitfalls along the way. I have an incurable disease that will eventually sideline me, but I am not about to stop living a good, full, happy life.

If I let it consume me I would still have the disease, have close to the same outcome, but the in between years will be oh, so different. I choose to live them well and take care of future events when they become present events.

I hope you find some peace and encouragement, Twix, because you still have so much productive living to enjoy.

Great post, gemkeeper. It reminds me of the saying that "Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,497,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I'm in agreement with you 6/3. Many of us are predisposed to life-threatening diseases and many of us already suffer from them. To me, life is well worth living regardless of the potential for a future disease or the untidiness of caring for a current one.

Yeah, I take a lot of prescription meds. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Is it worth it to me to swallow a handful of pills everyday and maybe give up some restaurant meals or a trip to the Bahamas to pay for the Rx's? You bet! That is one more day that I can be with my family, that I can feel the warmth of the sun, that I can hear the birds singing, that I can enjoy a good (and, very healthful) meal with those that I hold dear.

I think to have a fatalistic attitude because one has a medical condition that may be life-threatening (We'll all going to die of something!) or even the potential for an inconvenient health condition (Who wants a leaky bladder?) is totally disrespectful of life and the gift of ourselves that we can offer the rest of mankind.

I choose not to throw my life away because of my health conditions and crummy prognosis because I am way too busy living it!!!

I eat the best and healthiest foods that I can, I watch my weight, avoid all of those nasty greasy fattening snack foods, and exercise to the best of my ability. I keep a smile on my face so that others don't end up with a frown on theirs. When I am smiling on the outside something magical happens on the inside. Others are infected with your happy demeanor and you cannot help but feel and reflect that yourself.

Give up because you are going to die of some awful ailment when you are 90? Hooray! That means I have almost 28 more years of fun before I shut my eyes for good!
Great post gemkeeper !!!!!!!!! Reps for you !!!!!!

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness