Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The op sounds like they want an ok to sit still, eat too much and die? I agree with pitt. Do some home work and surf the net for alternative remedies for high blood presure etc. You've got nothing to lose. In the mean time do walk, cut down on the bad food, eat food that is good for you and take good care. I have a soft spot for caring doctors and I'm super angry with the ones that really rake in the money and manipulate your care through doctors who have to sign the bloody contracts with--The insurance companies!
But everyone is missing my whole point...why?
All one is doing is prolonging the inevitable!

The assumption is I have a bad diet. Actually, I don't...I love vegetables, cannot tolerate dairy, so that eliminates a lot of bad foods. I don't bake anything anymore, no cookies or goodies. I eat a lot of fish and organic eggs, some organic chicken.
I don't eat a lot of refined carbs.
I used to walk 3 miles per day.
But none of that changed a thing. Why? Because I have insulin resistance and it is much stronger than what I can do to overcome it. Exercise is supposed to help. But let's face it, 3 miles a day is hard to keep up when you work all day.
I went down to a mile, and still, that's not enough.

All this for what, a few more years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Just a share to get you started:

Ways To Lower High Blood Pressure - Foods That Lower Blood Pressure

Now make sure you ask before taking ANY herb or anything like that.
Even the wrong vitamin with high BP can be bad.
You can look it up yourself for now and comfirm with a call to the doc & pharm.

More stuff:
High Blood Pressure Diet (http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtot43.htm - broken link)

10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication - MayoClinic.com

Dont hate taking care of yourself. Do it right and you will feel better.
And there are good foods out there to eat. Not everything has to taste like diet food.
Healthy food tastes good when done right.
I work in medicine, so I know all about how hypertension works. I know it can hammer the kidneys. I know about how the insulin resistance reduces the vascular walls.
When I first had hypertension, I cut out all salt, etc. I ate low on the food chain. I did everything right...but saw very few changes. Everyone assumes if you do it, it will work. Well, in my case, it didn't because I have insulin resistance too.
I don't live on Twixcookie bars.
But I am asking...what is the motivation for doing all this work?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Oh, and I take supplements, calcium, magnesium, and potassium daily.
I feel I have done the right things, and they didn't work, so I gave up. But then I had even more pondering of, maybe when it's my time to go, I go. Why kill myself trying to get a few more years in?
After 55, it is all downhill for most people. And most people have to work a long time after that, and if you're like me, you haven't much to retire on. So you can see my view here, it is rather logical.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Everyone assumes everyone has health insurance. A lot of jobs don't have it anymore. It is an employer's discretion if they want to offer health care to a full time or part time employee. And good jobs are hard to find now.
I don't worry about pap tests, mammograms, that stuff, because it is being sold to make money. When it is our time to go, we go. Why bother to delay the inevitable??

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,615,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I'd be careful with that plenty of sex...there are so many diseases now out there...
Not if you know your partners...

Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,615,910 times
So it seems your main question is designed to get a response telling you why you shouldn't feel that way, right?

Sorry - can't help you. We do what we feel we need - and want - to do, when we want to do it. Each of us is the master of our own life. If you place little value on the remainder of your life, then your ideas are certainly right for you.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,213 times
do ya smoke????

Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 PM

nope

Old 08-05-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
So it seems your main question is designed to get a response telling you why you shouldn't feel that way, right?

Sorry - can't help you. We do what we feel we need - and want - to do, when we want to do it. Each of us is the master of our own life. If you place little value on the remainder of your life, then your ideas are certainly right for you.
Of course you cannot help me, but it was for discussion.
I don't know, perhaps some have the luck, intelligence, and economic ability to be the master of their life.
I am one person who has tried very very hard.
I look around me, and most people my age are not struggling. They own nice homes and nice vehicles. They go on vacations. They redecorate. I don't think they have worked harder than me. So, being a hard worker doesn't necessitate one will be master of their life.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

I tried to rep you again for that, but it wouldn't let me.
You've got that right..we are all the master's of our lives.
Not everyone wants to live forever like I do i suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness