Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 09:15 PM

19 posts, read 27,343 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am hoping for some ideas about a new place to live for at least the next 6 months, but i think this may be kind of a long shot.

I have been chemically poisoned and am now highly sensitive to chemicals and molds of all kinds (its called multiple chemical sensitivity or environmental illness). I am looking for a new location in the western part of the US (say west of and including Kansas), but would be open to all suggestions, ideas, and info.

Some of what I desire...
> generally warmer and drier climate (little snow)
> lots of options for apt rentals (1/1 for $700 or less, prefer much less)
> low pollution (cities can be ok if I can live on the outskirts where
pollution is less)
> easy access to organic produce
> public transit, walkable, and bikeable (can't drive right now)
> healthy, accepting, understanding community members
> easy regular access to nature and slow paced
> accessible by bus or plane (or hitch-hike?)
> some young single people around to get to know when I'm well (kinda the
carrot in front of the horse)

The size of the area is not really that important, but I have been finding that many smaller communities lack easy access to organic produce, so I would say in or near an area of maybe 20K at least? I have posted in the New Mexico/Albuquerque forums and have recieved some great answers, but nothing has worked out yet, and I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas. I am very grateful in advance for any and all ideas and info that can be provided. Thank you and Best wishes!

serene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 PM

63 posts, read 343,059 times
I have heard that Sedona Arizona has some type of healing qualities. Though I really have no idea whether or not it fits all of your other guidelines.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:25 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
So you want a city with low pollution, healthy and accepting people, and easy access to nature. That's a pretty tall order...most cities have pollution. No matter where you go, there will be people who are not accepting, and in general most cities are not near nature as they have 'burbs built up around them. Small cities are less likely to have the public transportation you need. And nice, safe places where you can rent for less than $700/month are few and far between. You are further restricted by the fact you want a warm, dry climate.

I do think the southwest is probably your best bet (Arizona, New Mexico, perhaps Texas, Utah, and Nevada)...also I have been to Hot Springs, Arkansas and it was lovely and reknowned for its healing qualities, slow paced with natural beauty all around, but I cannot say whether it meets the rest of your criteria.

Best of luck.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
I have a friend with the same poisoning and she moved from NJ about ten years ago to Snowflake, AZ. I think it has been good for her, but now that she's getting up in years, she is contemplating a move back to NJ to be closer to family. I don't know how that will work for her.

I sympathize with you greatly. It's a terrible thing to have happened.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Default thank you

thank you ...

HBJohn: I have heard that Sedona is a pretty cool place and I have friends who love it there, but I had forgotten all about it ... thank you for the reminder ... I will start searching that area today

KewGee: I found info suggesting that Snowflake is a kind of "haven" for people with this problem. Clean air, very supportive and accepting community ... not too many rentals I've found, though. I am glad to hear that your friend has done well there - I will keep checking there. Thank you for the info and for your sympathies (I will find a way to get well)

Christina0001: Thank you for your thoughts ... I haven't looked into Nevada yet - good idea. Hot Springs ... sounds like a good place for me to check out - do you know if it is a place with high humidity year-round?

Thank you all very much for your time and info. Any more ideas will be gratefully welcomed. best wishes

serene

Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I did some searching, and found an extremely boring, tedious document that gives average humidity for many cities/towns per month:
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/avgrh.html

Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks Christina0001. I will check into the site you gave, even if its boring and tedious . Thank you very much.

serene

Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Serene, how did you become chemically poisoned?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:50 AM

zb, there were probably factors that made me suceptible (like a thyroid disease I was trying to get over), but the main problem happened while doing paint-disposal for a hardware-type store. Other factors - other unhealthy work environs probably contributed, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness